Steam Machines [Impressions, DIY, etc]

Thread in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by Blagg Zear, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

ow i see, i just checked that site and tried to access that marketplace. Too bad the requirements are too strict to get instant access (need to do 50 posts at least and still have to wait 90 days).. Well, it does sound like a very good offer, still i think a GTX 1070 is a better Deal (i can get some for under 300) :D

2. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

The price is good for a R9 Nano / Fury but you are right, a gtx 1070 is much more power for the value. ~300 is a really nice price.

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

It's alive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aylek likes this.
  4. Joe Bopper

Joe Bopper Well-Known Member

What operating system are you guys using for these? The Steam OS? Some other linux distro? Apparently if it's a 'Steam Machine', it's got Steam OS. I have some questions because I thought the best OS for gaming is Windows :\
    I'm also not sure what the benefit of having one of these over a desktop computer or gaming laptop is? Isn't a steam machine just a computer? (that is smaller with steam OS?)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Most Guys would Chose Win 10 with Steam installed. Who wants to limit the Machine with Steam Exclusive Games? :p

But originally yes, a Small Form factor Build able to compete with Xbox One, PS4 in price/performance/efficiency/flexibility

Btw.. did you know why SteamOS was born and why it lost the players Interest? -> http://www.pcgamer.com/alienware-manager-on-steam-machines-lull-windows-10-changed-everything/

Since the specification of the upcoming Scorpio ist released, anyone here has tried to reverse engineer a nearly identical System with PC components? This would bei exciting

Should use this Console-like Case! It's awesome

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Joe Bopper likes this.
  6. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Config:
    1x Asus Rampage V Extrime
    1x Intel i7 5820k
    1x Asus GTX 980Ti Matrix Platinum
    4x G.Skill Ripjavs 3200 16GB
    1x Kingstons Predator 256 SSD M.2
    2x HDD 1TB
    1x SiliverStone 1500w Gold

Some Tutorial:

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Allrite, skipping the GTX 1050 Ti because i just got a GTX 1060 Mini.ITX Edition (17cm Length) for almost the same price. So next i'm going to build my ultimate console-like SFF (Steam?) Machine.

Best Cases found so far:
    Dr Zaber Sentry (7l)
    Fractal Design Node 202 (10l)
    Silverstone RVZ202 (12l)

i'm going for the Node 202, because it just hits the price-performance-min-max-sweet spot according to my personal requirements. So what do i put into it? -> Some good old components of my bigger rigs of coz! (i7-4770K, Scythe Big Shuriken, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD 2,5")

and if you like this kind of cases, check up this demo-reel:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Excalibaard likes this.
  8. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Tested the Node 202, it's little on Volume Space but actually not small - it's rather flat like a VCR.

So now i tried another compact case, really cool ans damn cute. Here is my Current DIY SFF Build:

[​IMG]

The Case is the Raijintek Metis: http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=17

Almost as tiny & shiny as the legendary DAN Case A4-SFX, but coming with window/led kit. Very happy with this little beast.

Config as mentioned before:
    I7-4770K + EKL Ben Nevis Tower Cooler
    16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    MSI Z87 ac (Wifi Dual Antenna)
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB OC ITX
    256GB SSD + 2TB 2.5" HDD

The Verge and Joe Bopper like this.
  9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Holy Cow - the new Super Small Form Factor: Micro STX !!!

ZEEL_MadCat likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast