Solo Challenge: Brokeback Pug: Why can't I quit you?

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by Fherot, Dec 3, 2014.

1. That Dawg

That Dawg Well-Known Member

dont blame the player, blame the game ;)

Whats next, a satellite module you can launch and it orbits?

2. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

This is Reason One of why I like VOIP at least. It's a LOT harder to miss someone calling a UAV out loud than it is to miss silent chat in the corner of the screen.

3. That Dawg

I've just had terrible luck using public voice comms.
    children, over-modulated, mumblers, lurkers, echo'ers, eaters, mouth breathers, whiners, arm chair generals, drunks, trolls and in general the exact type of persons I avoid in life.
    Whats the magic time to avoid that? I'll try it again.

4. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

In my experience, VOIP in MWO is well used. Think I had one egotistical idiot so far. Remains to be seen what the STEAM launch will change about this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

In CW its generally good as everyone knows they have to work together. Solo / group its hit and miss.

6. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I've only had a couple of douchebags in VOIP honestly...even when I play during the day when I'm normally asleep. Generally speaking, I try not to converse too much in voice chat, but I've found people react well to simple information. Examples:

"UAV over Charlie 4."
    "Target Hotel, Dire Wolf, Center Torso"
    "Target Golf, AC40 Jager, Right Torso"

And so on. I normally don't try to lead the entire team in normal PUG drops, unless it's a CW drop...for whatever reason, I've found that I'm much better directing people there, mostly because I know where the enemy is going to be coming from, and my instincts are good about calling for a flank maneuver. But keeping simple, short information available over VOIP can be a huge gift to the team...and people tend to be appreciative about it:

[​IMG]

The best part is that it gets easier once you do it for enough games. After a while, you start to get very quick about calling out the callsign, mech type, and crit location of any mech that's a threat to your teammates. I've also run into a LOT of people who've heard me calling that stuff out over VOIP, only to find them calling out the same info in later games, so it's a good habit to spread around to other people.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as calling out a crit mech, and seeing 8-12 people focus their fire on it.

epikt likes this.
  7. That Dawg

speaking of ELO, I wish I knew what mine was (with this game) Maybe a ranking private/sgt/major etc SHOWN in front of/behind your in game name (on your side only)...but, that would make too much sense who to immediately follow and who NOT to walk in front of.

looking at all the screeenshots I rarely see the common posters here, but I DO see some of the same names in the list over and over-typically the bad ones
    I wonder if I'm getting shoved up, or down, or if its just busted to hell.
    Seems like a year+ ago, i'd see the same players pretty often. You know if you saw playerX on the other side, you KNEW he was running abc etc

8. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

ELO is kinda...eh, inconsistent. I've had nights where I've dropped in matches where guys like ExMachIIIna and TwinkyOverlord are on one of the teams, and there's also 3-4 trial mechs with players who clearly have no business being up against experienced players on the field. On one hand, that sometimes means that I'm going to have a match with a ton of easy kills...but on the other hand, WHY!? The ELO system has never been very good to begin with, but when it skews one or both teams that much, it's going to be impossible for some of those new players to even pretend to get something done.

That Dawg likes this.
  9. That Dawg

My entire life has been a fan of playing better players so YOU become better...the best players never got that way without getting stomped.

seal clubbing...my ego is so grotesquely over inflated from life as it is, I dont need to just roll noobs...fighting tooth and nail to the end, and even dying is better than that.
    and NOTHING chases off new players faster than getting beat to death game after game after game

but an assault who is last man standing and fresh as the moment he dropped does set me off like a badger in a rodent factory however

10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I hadn't drop in solo queue for a long time. Last days I came back to it and I'm forced to say the global skill level is terrifying. Some obviously new players (at least I hope), bad teamplay and positioning, cowardly tactic,...
    Multiple hypothesis:
    - it never changed, I just forgot how it was;
    - the current event is drawing most of decent players in CW;
    - regular group queue is drawing most of decent players;
    - good puggers disappeared.
    - edit: highly depends on the time of day?

Anyway, I took the Oxide out of the garage and I'm mostly farming :oops: But it's frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  11. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I haven't touched regular queue since Tukayyid (and won't touch it for a while, since I need to wind down from all that CW), but I can only imagine what it's like right now...

12. That Dawg

ohgawd...you two are scaring me. Got my turikid...tuckaduk...ta..whatever it is, did the math?
    I'll just cut and paste my mwo post: 42 battles in 4 days. about 25-30 minutes average each battle with wait times etc, makes that 1,100 minutes, or about 18 hours.
    WTF I am an idiot. that same time working for 7.00 bucks an hour (yeah, let that sink in, thats baby sitter money, teenage grass mowing money) would have made 122 bucks, the cost of gold to out right buy the mech, the MC would be about 50 bucks......
    its time to re-evaluate this time suck.

NOW I was thinking about battling my new warkchuck...but its not CW ready, and I'm not Pug ready...
    as difficult as this is...I just wrapped my mind around epikts post...the "good" and I'll use that term loosely...players went to CW and whats left....are the pugs?
    makes sense...horrible horrible sense, like breaking glass and creaking floorboards the first night you move next to an insane asylum

13. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Eh, but if you do the full 50, you also get some MC, millions of cbills, and some cockpit items (say 500 MC apiece?) to add to the pot ;) I also bought a trio of commandos, blackjacks, and two more banshees to fill my garage. I'd say it paid off with the cash earned ;)

14. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

I was one match short of the 5m c-bill bonus....

15. That Dawg

dayum, that sucks, seriously.

16. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Well my fault in fairness I thought it ended later that evening. But sunk about 46 hrs into that competition and am burnt out now. Found myself hating the game near the end. Sad thing is i'm not even exaggerating there.

17. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

Yeah, the original 3-day timeline would have been better. They just needed to compress the rewards, like get the Mech at 20 points, which would be hard, but doable.

18. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

[​IMG]

This one was worse than usual since it was my first amazing round in the Zeus, and because I was streaming it too ;) Ahh well, 1k club and 6 kills...and 4 solo kills.

19. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Trying to figure out which of the completely horrendous drops fighting for the leaderboard I'm going to post here,...

20. That Dawg

Note the time.
    This was the first battle I turned on voip....its off again.
    Now, I know the rules, but I almost did the same damage as our assault lance..
    we were DOWN 6 when I noticed the score and left the tunnel exit and scampered to the battle..
    I may have said something hurtful, I can't recall.

[​IMG]

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast