RVN-3L "Superchicken" (2xERLLas, ECM, XL295)
5/5,

11 ratings

Thread in 'RVN-3L' started by Michael, Sep 14, 2013.

1. germs95

germs95 Junior Member

5/5,
    Good, classic build :)

2. Tarriss Halcyon

Tarriss Halcyon Active Member

Unfortunately, as somebody who doesn't pilot Ravens, I can't chime in with the kind of ideas you want. As somebody who HUNTS Ravens, and has been around since this build came out, I can say that I've seen a lot of it, and both the strengths and weaknesses of this build really limit who should use it.

I'll be honest - I've killed these mechs without being able to target them. My issue with the way most people play this setup is that they stand totally still, and try to get the maximum burn time. Because of that decision, if the pilot isn't skilled enough to have half-decent cover, or to scoot as soon as the beam stops, a counter-sniper comes into play. I used to use Gauss Rifles and PPCs, if not my own Large Lasers, to trace the mech and kill it early. If that doesn't work, or I'm not running a sniper loadout of my own, I report it's location for our lights and light-hunters, and leave it to them.

While it's good for lots of damage, that really only comes into play when in the hands of a pilot who is either used to sniping, or is smart enough to move when they come under fire. It's also one that struggles to fight against a light designed for close quarters, thanks to the burn time of it's primary weapons.

Also, to the stuff about people calling this build cowardly? I used to do that, back when ECM shrouds were overpowered, team-shielding nightmares. It was the same way I'd refer to any ECM mech that sat, alone, and abandoned it's team to die while they went for maximum damage, and Ravens were the worst offenders. Now that ECM doesn't shroud as well as it used to, I accept them. I don't like them, but I accept them.

3. ReconSaint

ReconSaint Star Lord

5/5,
    Well. You know.

germs95 likes this.
  4. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

if he's getting 80 kills how are you losing? Forget that for a second...
    This is not a selfish build. It's a sniper build and a very effective one. Snipers hide. A sniper that is out in the open for all to see is not a sniper, he's dead. A snipers job is to kill, and kill fast... it is his objective. So from your statement above basically what you are saying is it is extremely selfish to do your job, and do it well. This bird makes an excellent scout, has ECM for cover, and in the right hands can save a match.

Now to answer my own question. If your raven sniper is getting 80 kills and you lose, it means the rest of the team is not doing it's job. <== That's a period there.

ReconSaint likes this.
  5. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

This is an excellent build, even at basics

ReconSaint likes this.
  6. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

My latest alteration on this classic build.

7. Aylek

5/5,
    Classic. Still viable after all the time.

8. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

would Stealth armor be any good with this loadout, or is Ferro better for the weight reduction?

Excalibaard likes this.
  9. Aylek

Was thinking the same. Mounting a 285 engine is easily fast enough for this role:

Excalibaard likes this.
  10. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Could still totally use an XL295 though :D

It's not like the left arm is used, or the head is in much danger.

11. Anunaki

Anunaki Active Member

5/5,
    Still the best 3L build going imop

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast