RVN-3L "Superchicken" (2xERLLas, ECM, XL295)
5/5,

11 ratings

Thread in 'RVN-3L' started by Michael, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I've only ever gotten into the 1300s with this twice but it is a damn good mech to do so.

This is a killing machine, it is not a grinder/money maker. Most people run with 80,000 cbill expenses per match, some with 120,000 per match depending on if you use two consumables or three.

I actually played a match of MWO last night just to pass the time for 10 minutes and I managed to kill three mechs (2 of them clanners). Granted I was a kill stealing muthafucka but still, this is a great mech to go all Muhammad Ali in!

2. Bobs Your Uncle

Bobs Your Uncle Active Member

5/5,
    I love this thing! It has been one of the highest scoring lights I have used.

3. enileph

enileph Star Lord

5/5,
    Bumping up the classic builds.

4. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

5/5,
    Allow me to summarize why I love this Raven by quoting someone that I played against in Viridian Bog just now:

"FUCK YOU FUCKING SNIPER SHIT FUCK I HATE YOU!"

This mech has it all: speed, maneuverability, long range punch, ECM...it is practically born for maps with crap visibility or long straightaways. No mech in my arsenal has carried as many games as the Super Chicken does, especially during this last competition.

My only tip? Get a mouse with a DPI shift function; the ability to steady your aim makes this thing even deadlier when you can isolate a single component.

Played right, games like this are well within your capabilities:

[​IMG]

5. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Those are great games, Durandal! :)

Yiiiiisssss. Spread the hatred!

6. Procellus

Procellus New Member

I hate this build, its extemely selfish. Its the MWO version of the sniper in COD that hides the entire game, gets 80 kills but completes no objectives and then blames the team for losing.

7. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

Let me guess, Veridian Bog, Durandal?

I hate snipers in games more than anyone especially campers who just target a vehicle station or exit and headshot anyone who moves, Tribes was infuriating. PSG1 in CS also infuriating, dead with a leg shot...

No way to counter attack or survive
    Being brained suddenly.

2 ERL isn't a PSG1. Yeah they're annoying, but so are clan mechs. In the age of Streak Crows and Summoners do you expect an executive order for lights to be close range only?

I hate Oxides and Huggin waaay more.

Edit: and not completing any objectives or helping team is a selfish / bad player nothing to do with mech.

8. Procellus

Procellus New Member

Its just a selfish build in a team game. Usually these guys will go off by themselves, which means they are not providing their team with ECM coverage. These guys can get a couple kills and put up high damage numbers but it's not from pinpoint damage. It's spread over the target which means it's not very efficient.

This build is for the "sick K/D brah" crowd. Team players need not apply

9. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

As a consistent user of this build, I would disagree on many points. BAD players with this mech will play as you said, but a good Raven player will utilize it while shielding their team with its ECM. A good Raven player will hold those ERLLs steady on a single component as much as possible (minus torso twisting) to maximize the damage. I've killed hundreds of mechs with this build, utilizing its most powerful tool: the inability of people to perceive it as a threat compared to the bigger, scarier mechs.

There is no such thing as a selfish build, there are selfish playstyles. And as Fherot mentioned, in the age of clan meta streakcrows/summoners/TBRs/Mad Dogs, this is one of the few lights which can dent their tactics by controlling the engagement. There's a reason that this mech has one of my highest Win/Loss ratios out of everything in my garage (and yes, a damn high KDR as well), because it's an effective, powerful build that can change the entire way that a match unfolds simply with its presence.

You don't have to like it, but writing the entire build off as bad for that reason won't fly. Hate the players that play it poorly, not the build.

Edit: Also, remember, sometimes it really is the idiot teammates running off away from the Raven, not the Raven itself. My 3L doesn't follow anyone who does a suicide charge against 6 enemy mechs expecting to win if the team doesn't follow the same path. Moral of the story, don't generalize :p

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    zzoxx likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Speaking as a pilot who uses this build a lot; I wouldn't call myself selfish. I would call myself a surgeon. Sure I capitalize on the situation as it presents itself but that doesn't make me selfish; it makes me selective.

If you've managed to open up armor on a torso I zero in on that and shave off that entire side either killing IS mechs with XLs or severely hampering Clan-cans.

If you need a spotter with ECM to get behind them and zero in the LRMs I'm the guy.

If you need turrets blown up and gates opened than I'm the guy.

If you need a guy to distract the enemy onslaught that is rushing towards you by attacking their rear flank, turning them around, then I'm the guy.

If you need some ECM cover while you take your 100 ton monster in to position sure, I'm the guy but that does not mean I will stay there living my entire life to provide you with ECM and protect your mega button mashing high pinpoint alpha death machine.

Your perception about Raven pilots seems to be a little biased and not without a small amount of butthurt. The mech simply isn't built to charge in to the thick of it on a suicide charge. Like Durandal says; don't generalize and don't attempt to pigeon hole your expectations of play-style on to others.

11. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Oh yeah...that reminds me, as Michael mentioned, there ARE times that an ECM mech should be off alone. Most matches on Canyon Valley come to mind...people lose their shit when they get flanked. Even if it's just by a tiny Raven.

12. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

I got the enemy team bombarded by LRMs on caustic valley just because everyone was afraid to peek over Coldarra so I skirted around to some hills where I could see them and started zapping rear armor as LRM's started to rain on their heads. They couldn't decide what to do between the 35 tonner spot-sniping them or the missiles on the other side and it completely turned the game in our favor.

Raven 3L Sniper is an ECM'ed UAV that goes 150kph and has lasers.

What is selfish? Not running into suicide charges? Not waddling into streak range? Turning off ECM so TAGless LRM Atlases can lower their foreheads onto their one weapon group key?

Now there's a worthless selfish mech, LRM boat assault.

Edit: My favorite light is still Locust-3M with Pirate's Bane close #2.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Anonymous Member

5/5,
    Get rekt, this mech is uber sweet. :D

14. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

5/5,
    It works great a sniper. Don't engage, and don't get shot. Just keep shooting.

15. zzoxx

zzoxx Benefactor

5/5,
    Love it. And not for selfish reasons.

16. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

The build is neither for selfish players nor is it for the "high K/D" crowd,... Good luck stealing the kills with the recycle rate of ERLLs,...

Providing ECM cover during initial movement (or any other phases) would indeed be a nice gesture of the 3L pilot. However, what the 3L is most of all is a well hidden sniper. The ECM is there to keep you of the radarscreen, the highmounted lasers to reduce your visual profile. The 3L 's value is not hiding the team but rather annoying the enemy. Drawing their light hunters away, countersniping, annoying Lurmassaults.

Don't be selfish and let the 3L pilot do his job,...

17. Emberdrake

Emberdrake Active Member

What about regular large lasers? You can alpha all day (almost) without overheating.

18. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Certainly an option but for my previously explained role, the ERLL is still the better choice ;)

19. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

You really need the range in this mech.

20. germs95

germs95 Junior Member

Nice build BUT once you are left alone with like a lot of enemies to beat, you are FK'd :cry:

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast