X5 "Little Rat" (2xERPPC, XL280)

Thread in 'X5' started by Durandal, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Got this variant build off a Reddit post, so full credit goes to "abutterfly" at this link: (redacted) - I've just had so much success with this X5 version that I had to pass it on.

Strengths: The twin ER PPCs allow for both sniping and hit-and-run tactics to work effectively. Since they apply all of their damage in one instant, damage is not as spread out as it would be with lasers. They also benefit from having no dead zone like normal PPCs, making light mechs and other Cicadas less of a threat; they also, naturally, deactivate any ECMs they hit. With full efficiencies, a good rate of fire can be kept up even on the hottest maps. Finally, the arms can be used as shields against enemy fire, absorbing damage to keep the torso safe. While slower than some other mechs, this X5 is still easily capable of flanking maneuvers, spotting for LRMs, and sniping at long range while doing so.

Weaknesses: The XL engine, naturally, makes this Cicada more vulnerable than other builds. By downgrading from the XL 330 that comes with it, this X5 is slower than its counterparts (just under 125KPH with elite efficiencies), though still quite maneuverable. Newer players may struggle with fine tuning the aim on the PPCs at first, and light mechs at close range may pose problems for those not used to aiming such weapons on the fly. The ER PPCs also generate massive amounts of heat, so it's recommended to keep one module set aside for a Cool Shot on hotter maps. Finally, the armor still is not designed for heavy engagements, so despite the strong loadout, this mech is not suited for direct combat.

Other notes: For modules, I tend to run with Cool Shot 9, and both Artillery and Air Strike. Because of the more limited speed of this model, I usually do not use the UAV module, as it is harder to get in, plant, and get away unscathed in this slower mech. This version of the X5 is heavily reliant on teammates to get anything done; it is at its best when using distractions created by other players to snipe off a shot before ducking back into cover. With both strikes available (assuming you have the Master efficiencies for the third module) and used properly, this mech can easily reach the 500-600 damage level on a good match, and I've broken 900 damage in one of my best matches.

As a utility mech, it wreaks havoc on enemy defenses. Since it can pack a punch at long range, you can safely fire from within a teammate's ECM radius without fear of LRMs, and your ability to deactivate their ECMs can make taking down an enemy team much easier. Additionally, the punch from both PPCs hitting at the same time (if group fired, obviously) can shred a mech's armor away, destroying multiple components in one shot at times. This combination of strengths makes the X5 one of the strongest in my arsenal most games, although having a crap team means fewer opportunities to fire from cover, and in bad games I'll usually only get 200-300 damage.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Thank you for posting the build. The link was redacted as it doesn't point to any specific thing other than an overall thread on reddit. After having read the thread, and some of the back and forth, I opted to remove it. MechSpecs is a drama free zone. Mostly.

3. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Ah well ;) people can google it if they care that much hehe. Didn't even read far enough to see the drama, just use it for his build hehe

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast