WVR-6K "Wubverine" (4x LPLas, XL255)
4.25/5,

4 ratings

Thread in 'WVR-6K' started by B0ilz, Nov 19, 2014.

1. B0ilz

B0ilz Well-Known Member

All credit goes to the amazing FantasticTuesday. I had to post this here.

2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. Dr. Dvorak

Dr. Dvorak Star Lord

This build... it's absurdly awesome. It's basically a mech with a Ghostbuster proton pack from hell. Equip the cooldown and range modules, snuggle up to some cover, poke your arm of doom out, and start burning legs and arms off of targets up to 1000 meters out. Note that installing Fire Control is also a big help when running this mech.

Because the hard points are so close together and because of the range, targets don't realize how much damage they're actually taking as you pump up to 10 seconds of continuous double-LPL damage into a component. Key is to back off and reposition frequently - both to cool off, and to avoid the mass of return fire you'll draw once they figure out what you're up to and trace the beam back to your position. If you are unfortunate enough to get caught in a brawl, you'll die horribly unless you are VERY careful with the heat.

I am deeply torn between wanting more people to have as much fun as I am with this thing, and wanting to NEVER POST ABOUT IT EVER LEST THEY NERF MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...

4. Tulip Lee

Tulip Lee New Member

5/5,
    Pretty fun. I like simple builds, and the quirks on the LPLs on this are ridiculous.

5. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

Go big or go home.

4 LPLas in the Arm? why not. This build is so much fun and very strong, hipster and unique. I love it. I prefer having one Mlas in the head and on the arm instead of the 4th LPLas but that's just a variation.

If you're sick of those "just another shadow hawk" builds or just don't like SRM brawling (I think it doesn't work well nowadays) then this is for you!

Also the video is epic.

PS this is my take on it but it's by no means "better".

And I'd take this for comp drops / 12man

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  6. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

The lack of speed is a killer for me. I run 3 LPl and 2 ML with a much larger engine and extra heat sinks over the OP's build. One differentiation is that I chain less and am constantly moving.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    epikt likes this.
  7. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Playing HBR as much as I have, I really want to buy one of these just for this build. The concept is exactly the same as the HBR MPL/ERML build, you stay back hugging cover, poke out, and ruin someone's day over and over again, and just hope you never lose that arm ;) Plus, I already have an XL255 on my SDR-D that I can use!

Probably won't buy it since I still don't have my TBR set, but it's nice to dream ;)

8. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Are you ready for the 82.6KPH with speed tweak though? ;)

9. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

HBR is 89.1 after tweak...not a huge difference. It's certainly more agile than my DWF, so I'm sure I'll manage. That said, I never bought any Wolverines, so it'll be a long time before I pick this one up.

10. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

There's a lot of difference for me between 82.6 and 89.1 or even worse my 97.2.

11. Cyril Ray

Cyril Ray Active Member

Luv me some lpl wubbin must try this build. Sigh one more group of mechs for the buy then level list :notworthy:

12. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

My HBK-GI isn't even breaking 70 without tweak yet (god I hate leveling that POS), so this would still be easier...

13. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

There's also a lot of difference between 42% and 34% heat efficiency, much more so than the 13kp/h gain of the XL300.

14. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Well if you want me to be honest... I try not to be negative about builds so I was avoiding saying I dumped the 3-4 LPL versions as they performed poorly and were unable to operate effectively in the team environment. 2 LPL + 3 ML can be run almost non stop and keep you in cover most of the time. 3+2 or 4+0 is a flashy gimmick. Seductive and exciting until the reality of real conflict takes place. With the cooldown it just doesn't help having to slow down your fire to keep your heat down. Your opponents are not going to stand there in the group game while you chain fire on their Mist Lynx's (nor will the be in a Mist Lynx hopefully or the battles will be one sided!). It gets worse if you're on a hot map when the 4 LPL version is essentially unable to use half of its armament very quickly. I tried 255XL's, 300XL's, 3 LPL/2ML, 4 LPL and 3LPL/1ML so thats a practical in game analysis from maybe 25 battles this weekend in the 3+ setups. I "dropped back" to 2+3 and my damage and kills jumped as with my speed I can hit anything, make good use of cover and have plenty of scope to volley all my armament into any target I find.... and just keep on rolling right back into cover or to another target. Its a real team player at 97.2KPH as you can carry good firepower on a chassis faster than most clan mechs. Perhaps the 3+ LPL versions might work in the solo queue but if you try to use it against a semi organised group you're hunting firestarters, stormcrows, dragons, madcats, warhawks etc.... with their friends in a pack. Try chain firing on them and you'll never make cover unless you fluke into a solo mech that got seperated.

IMO of course. ;)

Lan likes this.
  15. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Coincidentally thats 14.6 KPH which is a huge difference between two mechs even before you look at the turning circles.

16. Dr. Dvorak

Dr. Dvorak Star Lord

Back for a post-CW update: This is the mech I drop first with, and will be so for the foreseeable future. If you play to this build's strengths, it is *murder* on the other team. This thing was born to play the initial rounds of CW, though in a very particular way.

Use the macro I mentioned in my first post. With that, you're putting out a continual stream of 2 LPL hitscan damage at 700-1000 meters; you shoot and you're instantly doing damage on your target, with several more seconds to capitalize on their inattention or mistakes before you get hot. Because you're putting out a stream of damage, you can land a hit on an opponent, then adjust to make sure you're burning the component you want - hits are not all or nothing here. Burn the ears off a Mad Cat as they poke above cover. Roast the arm or leg that the opponent has left visible, then switch to the torso that's open if they are dumb and step out.

The build does get hot, but it does so very smoothly and predictably - you can keep firing until the heat is in the high 90's, then step into cover and cool off. Stop firing, and heat starts falling. You can avoid mistakes very easily, in other words, and the wave-based nature of CW assaults means you usually have plenty of time between rushes. It's true, this build doesn't do everything - you sometimes get overwhelmed, and a truly high-skill team will eat you alive. But it's a very forgiving build - you may find that you last longer against good teams playing to this build's strengths, and that's why you use this one first, so you can contribute in other ways with the other 3 mechs in your dropship.

When you do draw return fire, you should step away to dodge any projectiles once you see it coming. Yay for slow PPCs - they're actually easy to dodge at the ranges we're talking about. The laser vomit builds will land hits more quickly, but they usually take a few seconds to figure out what you're up to; if you keep on your toes, you can burn them pretty good, then spread their damage around while you step back into cover or to cool off. I must confess I haven't encountered many AC 2, 5, or Gauss builds yet.Clans seem to favor PPCs and lasers, and I've mostly been fighting them. But the range buff this thing gets makes it much more successful at trading with clan ER laser tech than most other IS builds I've tried.

The point here is not to stand still and try to get kills. Don't push your luck. Just keep shooting, stepping down, repositioning to throw enemies' aim off, then stepping back up and shooting again. The goal is to scare your opponents out of advantageous positions by hosing them down with a bright blue beam and keeping that red damage indicator flashing on their screen for as long as possible whenever they expose themselves. The goal is to scare them into slowing down or retreating, or to irritate them into overcommitting. If they stand still to try and take you out, they get taken down by your teammates while you step into cover. In the meantime you try to inflict as much limb damage as you can in the process.

Again, the key is not to push your luck. This is a workhorse, not a show pony. Expose as little of yourself as possible. The ideal position is with your left shoulder snugged up against some cover, slightly above your teammates so you can fire over their heads and down onto the legs of the enemies farther out. Being a little higher up also makes it somewhat more likely that an opponent with tunnel vision will run right past you and let you hit them from behind.

On offense, you'll probably want to switch mechs fairly quickly after you pop as many generators and turrets as you can. As posters have said above, this build is not a charger or a dueler. On defense, though, if you're smart about cover, you can last amazingly long. On boreal vault, for example, you can start out on the ramp to cover both gates, then once the gates open, switch to a nook on the left-hand wall. You can easily cover both approaches while remaining mostly in cover from the closer attack lane. Take shots on both sides, but remember: the farther out someone is, the more aggressive you can be - ideally, you want them to forget about you by the time they close in. On the sulfur map, you can cover the right-hand gate, then turn 90 degrees and cover the back of the generator all the way across the map if there's a breakthrough at either of the other ones.

On either map, when there's a rush, don't chase the attackers - there are other mechs better for that job, and if you charge them, you *will* die. Slow down, wound, and cripple as many attackers as possible, though, so the mechs doing the chasing and brawling will have an easier job of it. Just choose your shots carefully so you're not hosing down teammates!

You may never top the leader boards in this mech - again, you're trying for assists and leaving the kills to the rest of your team. Played right, though, this build can easily inflict more than your share of 1000 cuts on the enemy before it goes down, and we all know what happens after 1000 cuts! At the end of the match, it's the win that matters. :thumbsup:

Remarius and epikt like this.
  17. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Here's my pick:

One less DHS than the OP, but more armor (no way I'm dropping with 30ish leg armor!) and faster engine, thanks to the tonnage saved with the fero-fibrous armor.
    (it also allows for quick and free switches to 3 LPLas + MPLas, which is my other build)

It's a great mech as long as you're able to keep your precious right arm, as it's very vulnerable and good players will know all your weapons are there (and you'll end like this). And able to keep the distance, as brawling will probably mean death at short term.
    It requires discipline and good positioning, but it's capable of massive amount of damage at mid range. The range quirks is insane, most players underestimate your firepower at 600m. And as there's no impact shake, the damage is kinda sneaky and lots don't notice how much you're coring them before it's too late.

Dr. Dvorak likes this.
  18. SuperPignouf

SuperPignouf Junior Member

Thanks for the build ! I'm running epikt's loadout and it wrecks =)

[​IMG]

I've got a question about its gameplay though. I'm firing all the 4 wub lasers at chainfire and while keeping the firing button down they seem to shoot at maximum rate of fire. I've heard above that some kind of maccro would be useful, could someone elaborate ?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  19. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

probably, since this is a 1 build mech anyway, I'd add FF and try to gain decent speed with the most possible LPL, 3 in this case, a backup if the arm goes off, decent speed and max armor.

0.17 tons free, bite me.

this if one is OCD about free tonnage.

20. epikt

epikt Benefactor

If I understood correctly Dvorak's macro is to make a perfect 2+2, not a continuous 1+1+1+1 beam (for this the built-in chainfire works great).
    Personally I don't like the constant beam, it makes so easy for the enemy to locate me and shoot at my arm. Most of the time I do 2+2 and then present my left arm as a shield - I might lose on DPS, but at least I keep my arm intact. I don't see why I'd bother with a macro, it's quite easy to stagger the shots of the two weapon groups.

SuperPignouf and Motörhead like this.