Will this play MW:O? Mk II

Thread in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by dragoon20005, Nov 16, 2015.

1. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

GUIDE WILL THIS PC PLAY MW:O? 2.0

For those who don't know who am I.

I was the person who created and posted the following guide below

http://mwomercs.com/...is-pc-play-mwo/

It's been two years since that topic was updated about PCs and running MW:O

When the game was in beta stage, it was only running on DX9 API which depends more on stronger CPU cores than GPU power.

Now with DX11 API, the graphics rendering workload falls more on the GPU (well sort of) :|

Most of you may or may not know, this game is powered by CryEngine 3 which is the same game engine as the FPS game Crysis 3 which requires a high end PC to run it at respectable framerate.

But not all gamers out there will have the best hardware at hand.

So this is where my guide comes in.

I have personally tested this game on a mid spec laptop and I can play it smoothly at 720P med res without AA on the laptop’s 15" HD screen.

Here is what listed as the minimum specs for your PC to play MWO on the game website.

MechWarrior Online Minimum Requirements:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz / Athlon II X2 245e

GPU: GeForce 8800GT / Radeon HD 5600/5700

RAM: 4 GB

DirectX: DX9

HDD Space: 8 GB

As you can see it shows the Core 2 Duo can support this game, but I can assure you, it will be a nightmare to even play a single match properly.

When the fight gets intense, your framerate will drop till it becomes a PowerPoint slideshow with single digit framerates.

Before you rebut that your spec of your PC is much similar or better to the above. Please try to perform the following steps on your computer.

Do a full anti-virus scan of your PC to rid of viruses and spy ware using a combination of MalwareBytes, SpyBots S&D and AVG Antivirus.

Always make sure to update all your GPU, sound drivers and network card drivers (this is optional) (AMD or nVidia and Realtek)

Empty/clean out your computers recycle bin

Make sure to have at least 20GB or more of free space on your hard drive

Install Ccleaner and do a registry cleanup

Do a disk cleanup as well with CCleaner to remove unwanted junk to free up disk space.

Followed by a Disk De-fragmentation to compact the files in C Drive (If you are running HDD)

SSD have disk defragmentation disable as they use TRIM, so do not defrag your SSD.

Disable programs or services which are not needed when running MWO eg: Adobe Reader,Java update, Office, etc

Make sure that your internet connections is stable with low ping count and if possible, use direct wired LAN connection to your router.

2. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

Ok my computer isn't up to the standards you stated what now?

If your system fails to meet the above system requirements, verify what generation of processor you are using before you begin upgrading.

Your computer must be at least Intel i Core 2nd Gen and above or AMD systems must be using AM3+/FM2+ based motherboards. Verify your PC's RAM type and the version of the PCI-E graphics slots for example Gen 2.0 x16.

The above can be check using CPU-Z ID and GPU-Z ID

Ok my computer is one of the following you have mentioned

Ok suggest to do the following upgrades for desktops only.

Set aside a budget of $100-$150 for a GPU upgrade to a mid-range card like the AMD Radeon R9 270/X or GTX 750Ti based cards. Avoid choosing GPUs which uses DDR3 as they won’t be able to allow the GPU to render the image fast enough. You can verify the GPU performance using charts from various tech review sites using Crysis 3 as a test benchmark. Series to avoid when shopping for GPUs will be the AMD R7 240/250 DDR3 and from the nVidia side, avoid the GT series of cards. The only gaming GPU to get from nVidia is the GTX 750Ti and above series. For the AMD side, the R7 260X or the R7 265 are the minimum GPU series to get.

If you are shopping for used GPUs, you can look at the AMD Radeon series GPUs like the HD7xxx series or the R7 and R9 series. Who know you may grab a good card for cheap. Most of the AMD GPUs may be used for coin mining but if the card are still covered by warranty. It will be a good buy, otherwise look elsewhere.

Ok I got a new GPU but my game is still running very slow.

If that didn't help, suggest getting a faster CPU that your motherboard can support. Example for Z67 or Z77 chipset based motherboard swapping from the i3 Core to the i5 Core or even the i7 will improve the overall CPU performance.

But if your system is hopelessly outdated running DDR2 RAMs, then you just have to get a new PC.

3. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

So I do need a new computer. Suggestions?

Desktops PC are by far the best option for gaming as the range of parts to choose and put together are almost limitless based on your budget. But I can assure you, you still need to invest in a certain amount of budget to make the investment worthwhile.

Things you should not restrict is the choice of GPU, followed by the CPU and the other parts of the computer. Any game for that matter need tons of graphics power from the GPU to render all the frames and objects.

For example, if your PC budget is around 1k, you should be spending at least minimum 1/3 of the total budget on a good GPU. Spending too much or too little is a bad idea. Take for example ready-made desktops using powerful CPU like the Intel i7 Core 4790 which is a 4 core 8 treads CPU, but the GPU that is paired with the CPU is the GTX745. That GPU is an instant face palm for me. Same goes with pairing a GTX980 with a Pentium G3258, which is downright stupid. You have got to balance the amount spend on GPU and CPU together to get the performance. Speed of RAM affects AMD and Intel system differently. It been mentioned before that Intel system don't really get a huge difference in performance when 1600MHz is used or 2400MHz, maybe a few frames in some application but hardly in games. How it affects AMD systems we do not know, but do not overkill yourself with the RAM since AMD APU supports up to 2133MHz RAM. The rest like HDD and OS, etc. are up to your choice.

What CPU should I use?

As it stands, the bare minimum CPU you should be using is the Intel Core 2 Quad or Quad Extreme and above CPUs.

If you can’t afford any Quad Core CPUs due to cost

the Dual Core with Hypertreading like the i3 will also do the trick

What is Hypertreading?

Creating more treads from the usual single tread to simulate multiple CPUs

Look here for the video

the Core i3 from the 4th generation Haswell will be a good CPU to use for most games except high demanding games like Fallout 4, Far Cry 4, Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

How much RAM should I have?

4GB is the lowest you should go in PC.

If you currently have 4GB of RAM, suggest adding up to 8GB of RAM and above but make sure your OS can support more than 4GB. 32Bit OS can only use up to 3GB RAM. The rest will be system reserved and will be wasted.

The recommended capacity for RAM is 8GB that is if you count Windows OS plus other background tasks running when you play MW:O.

Use task manager or Performance manager to gauge the amount of RAM used before playing MWO like when you boot up the PC and after playing MWO to see the difference.

16 GB will be plenty to run MWO along with streaming software but take note of the CPU load if you are using CPU only power applications like Fraps. Shadowplay and AMD Raptr uses the GPU to record videos.

The next upgrade for your PC should be the GPU

If possible try to upgrade the GPU for your system first, usually a faster GPU will drastically improve frame rate of the game.

But hold on a sec, before you drop in a new GPU. Check that your power supply unit is up to the job.

Most new GPU need at least a stable power rail direct from the PSU. Usually supplied by the 8 or 6+2 pin PCI-E plug.

If your PSU is really old, then you will have to invest on a good PSU. Go for at least 500 to 600 watt minimum certified Bronze and above as these GPU do draw a lot of current at full load.

4. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

What GPU should I use or get?

Good question but this needs to be covered into 2 sections, one for desktop and the other for laptops.

Desktop GPUs

Many have this misconception that a 4GB GPU will perform better in game than a GPU with 2GB VRAM

This is really WRONG!!!

You need to look at the model number of the GPU to determine which is faster

Geforce GT740 4GB vs GTX760 2GB

Using the above example is what you may see in PC spec when you are looking at pre-built PC.

It looks like the 4GB card is better but I can assure you the GT740 way slower than the GTX760 GPU on the right

nVidia usually uses a higher number to denote a better GPU, also the GTX term may also indicate a true gaming grade GPU over the GT which are considered to be entry level GPU. Note that I say may indicate as there are models like the GTX850M which is actually a GDDR3 GPU instead of the GDDR5 GPU.

Same goes for the AMD side

HD6450 2GB vs HD7750 1GB or R7 250 4GB vs R7 265 2GB

AMD naming scheme is easier to identify as the higher the model number, the more powerful the GPU is

Laptop GPUs

This is where it gets tricky

Like I mentioned in the GPU model number naming scheme in the previous section.

The mobile lineup of GPUs can be confusing due to the sheer number of models and type of video memory used.

You can find a list of all the GPUs here

http://www.notebookc...ds.13849.0.html

http://www.notebookc...ards.130.0.html

http://www.notebookc...List.844.0.html

First and for most,

There is no way Intel Integrated Graphics or even Iris Pro graphics can allow you to play Crysis 3 on med to high settings unless you pretty much want run everything at low detail which won't look pleasing to the eyes.

For laptop variants of the GPU you will need to look at least the graphics series and above to get decent frame rates. Best avoid the graphics series like the GT series for nVidia and for Mobility Radeon avoid anything below HD7670 or HD8730. Why you may ask is because the GPU clocks speed of all the GPU are way below the desktop variant and another reason is that the VRAM they used are only DDR3 and in some cases, the GPU actually make use of the system RAM for rendering the graphics and frames. Only the GTX series GPU uses GDDR5 for graphics memory. You will see some laptop comes with 1, 2, 3 and even 4 GB of graphics RAM but do check out what kind of graphics RAM it uses.

If possible look for GPU which uses GDDR5 but it will cost a lot more compared to mainstream laptops. Another reason for companies to use lower end GT series GPU is that the GPU is soldered to the main board which reduces cost since they are able to buy the main board included with GPU in bulk. And they are able to fit into the small chassis of the Ultrabook without the extra thickness to house the separate GPU board.

5. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

Part List for Desktops

I will make a part list of builds based on the budget of 500 all the way to 1000 dollars

But the link below have builds which are better and depend on sale items to get the best deals for the week or months

http://mwomercs.com/...s-500-1000-100/

This is my take of the 500+ dollar budget build with OS but minus the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

AMD Option

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($68.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X+ BTC ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($66.97 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.00 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($82.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $524.67
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-16 21:44 EST-0500

Intel Option by Blagg Zear

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($66.97 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.00 @ Newegg)
    Total: $547.69
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-16 21:34 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($125.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus H170M-E D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $721.77

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-16 02:40 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($273.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1015.65

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-16 02:43 EST-0500

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

Laptop buying guide

Hey I need a PC that can play MWO but I need a laptop which doubles up as my school computer

Well if you need a computer to carry around and still want to game on it. Be at least prepared to pay much higher price compare to the desktop to get the same results.

For Laptops, I would pretty much say you will need something like the below

Mobile Dual Core CPU with HT at 2.4GHz and above

Windows 7 64 Bit with Service Pack 1

8GB System RAM

nVidia Geforce GTX480M/GTX560M/GT650M/GT750M/GT850M/GT940M and above with at least 2GB to 4GB Video RAM

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7670M/8730M and above with at least 2GB Video RAM

Direct X 9.0c or DX11

8GB++ HDD space including patches

It does look similar to the desktop but do note that laptops are pretty much lower clocked variants of the usual CPU. Intel mainstream Laptop CPU are clocked from 1.7GHz up to 3GHz with Dual Core and Quad Core variants. But for MWO, the suggested CPU to use is a quad core CPU with at least 2.4GHz to be sure you get enough power to run any high demanding games. But I was able to play Mechwarrior Online using an Intel i5 Core 3337U processor which is a Dual core with HT.

Another thing to point out is that you may be limited to smaller capacity RAM compare to desktops.

This is a bit tricky part because of the sheer number of laptops brand as well as models of laptop with different specifications.

Guide for buying Laptops

All my talk about laptops, the most important thing that you need to consider about is your budget and the detail use of the laptop. Without it, you are pretty much led by the salespersons who will sweet talk you into buying the wrong laptop that you will regret buying the moment you want to run any games until you noticed it only has integrated Intel Graphics.

I will give you a low down on things to note before letting the salesperson take your cash for the laptop.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/

http://www.notebookc...ds.13849.0.html

http://www.notebookc...ards.130.0.html

http://www.notebookc...nics.123.0.html

Above are the links are for the guide for laptops CPU and GPU models and their technical specifications sheet. They even include the test of each laptop system on many games and applications. They do give a detail review for each of the GPU performance against similar classed GPU and the games it can support and in addition which notebook carries that GPU model. Give a check on the first link to check out the details of the laptop you are going to buy.

Give a rough estimate of the amount you want to spend and the features you need on this laptop, do you need touch screen or a really big screen laptop? Do you need an anti-glare screen? Do you really need those back-lit keyboards?

Drop by the computer store and touch the laptops they you are intending to buy to see if it feels good to the touch like the keyboard especially the frequently used keys, the placement of the touch pad, the location of the USB, DVD-writer.

Test to see if the screen is clear under the strong room light. Also feel the weight of the laptop to see if you are able to carry it around. And measure the size of the laptop and see if the laptop is able to fit into your current bag or you might need to buy a bigger laptop bag.

Another point to note is the placement of the heat vents, I have seen designs where the heat is vented out to the right side where you place your mouse.

Again at the computer store place you hand on the palm rest area below the keyboard and feel if the area is very warm or not. My old Acer laptop have the HDD situated below the touch pad and that area is really hot thanks to by 7200rpm HDD there. As the computer is switch on for long periods of time you will be able to feel if the overall temperature of the laptop will be any issue in certain environments.

Once you have purchased the laptop, please do remember to fully charge the laptop's battery before even switching it on. If possible, uninstall any unnecessary bloat-ware that came with the new laptop like trial software, etc. and install you own anti-virus if it does not come with it and some PC maintenance software to keep the computer in shape.

Install MW:O and Happy Gaming

See you in the battlefield

Regards

Dragoon20005

7. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

Please help feedback the guide and see where can i improve on it

Thanks

Blagg Zear likes this.
  8. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Thx for posting your guide. Very useful for ppl not having the technical knowledge about beneath the PC Case Metal and what MWO requires.

One thing i stumbled over - is there a reason why you don't go for Dual Channel RAM Kits? It can't be the price..

Another thing: For the $500 Budget Config, i would suggest to go for Intel CPU all the way if you want to focus on Gaming. The Athlon X4 860K seems to have nice features on paper, but performance-wise it is comparable to a Intel Dual Core G3258 and only can beat it in few games, which require more cores/threads. Ok, MWO or CryEngine Titles are such ones, but if someone wants to build a rig, it is definitely better to go for overall performance power for the majority of games.

Check it up here: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/Rating/3265

My tip: Intel i3-4170 (only 2 Cores, but 4 Threads and it got excellent CPU Value (CPU Mark / $Price), very low TDP (54W) and good performance (for most popular games in the charts). Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Also the R7 370 as a Gaming Card is a bit outdated for current games. It is actually a rebranded R7 265 (which was actually a rebrand of the HD 7850 with a bump of frequency) and NOT a rebrand of the R9 270/HD7870, which many ppl are still believing falsely (http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270-vs-Radeon-R7-370)

A Rule of Thumb for Gamers on the Low Budget Side, if Case-Size is not a Limiter: ~$150 Minimum for the Grafix Card is the Entry Price to pay for an acceptable current gen Gaming Performance. Atm the Price-Performance King around $150 is the Nvidia GTX 950. Or you go for the GTX 960/AMD R9 380 with 2GB VRAM for ~$180-$200. Any inferior Grafix Card is only recommended in special use cases, e.g. you want a shoebox-case with only very limited grafix card length support, or only low profile card support. So never drop below $150 for a full-size gaming rig, or you won't have fun for the next 2yrs with gaming on current player demands, e.g. @1080p/40+ fps (not speaking of AA+AF+additional details)

Chose AMD if you want more raw performance power for the same money. Chose Nvidia if you want more energy-efficiency for the same performance (best for OC).

Here is my take on the $500 Limit (only Hardware): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MfDfwP

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    The Verge likes this.
  9. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

thanks for the feedback

also as to why i chose single channel over Dual channel is because of the upgrade option down the line when the gamer has budget to add more RAM

going Dual Channel now means using up a slot more.

and also the incompatibility issues he/she may face with mismatch RAM like CAS,speed and voltages

In order for Dual channel to work with the original 2 stick kit

the user will have to install similar kit of RAM again which means he will be getting 16GB of RAM but he/she will have to use up all 4 RAM slots

adding just one stick of DDR RAM will in fact knock the Dual channel that he may be running with the kit back to single channel when there is on odd number of sticks of RAM.

so far i cant comment about the Pentium as I have yet to seen benchmarks or actual gameplay

I try to avoid the dual core two treads CPU because there is a chance gamer may want to play games like Fallout 4, GTA 5 and Witcher 3

that is where the Pentium falls flat at sustaining good fps.

I will add the Intel build for the 500+ range

and wow the GTX950 is beating the R9 270/X in price

Thanks for all the inputs

10. Flokoloko

Flokoloko Advanced Member

Atm I'm running MWO with:

Core2Duo E8400
    Asus P5Q-E
    4GB DDR Corsair XMS2
    Asus ENGTX260

And it works...fine...except the new maps

But thats no problem, I'm getting an upgrade: First a new case (headphone jacks and built in giant aerocool vent broken) then a new graphics card r9 280x, 380, 380x or GTX960 and in jan/feb a new CPU, Mobo and Ram (i5 4460+dontknow)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  11. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

what was your fps you get in battle?

i will be amazed you can get 30fps at 720P med

12. Flokoloko

Yep, thats what I get. And it`s enough for playing the game

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

This is interesting thoughts. Not sure if someone really needs to upgrade to 32gb (aka 4x 8gb) within the next 2yrs for gaming (only)*, but even then, why don't go for 16gb (2x 8gb) and give the system the availability of Dual Channel Memory Access right from the beginning? 35 Bucks extra won't hurt, and the rig will be very thankful for the extra capacity boost. Buying a single 8gb stick is a bit odd for my comprehension, when building a gaming rig.

* imo it is overkill, unless you want to do some heavy photoshop/video editing stuff besides gaming.. read this: http://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    anonymized1 likes this.
  14. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

well that is an afterthought

still i wonder why some user thinks faster RAM will affect gaming when you see gaming graphs almost the same be it 1600MHz, 1866MHz or even 2400MHz

15. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

That really depends on coding.

16. dragoon20005

dragoon20005 New Member

17. Flokoloko

Little update: with new GFX Card and little OC (3.0 -> 3,6) the game works good @1080p :p

Detail: Great @ old maps, good playable @ new maps

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast