What happened to Stormcrows?

Thread in 'Stormcrow' started by Falconium, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Honest question. The Stormcrow was the queen of Mediums when I was playing before, but now that I'm back after two years of absence, I hardly ever see Stormcrows in any of my Quick-Play matches.

Did they get nerfed? Did Russ wake up on the wrong side of bed one day? Did the Huntsman somehow replace them, albeit slower with weaker armor? Or maybe the Hunchback-IIC had something to do with it?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Dagonus

Dagonus Moderator Staff Member

Faction Play scouting was limited to 50 tons for Clan for a while so having a 55 ton clan mech was for Invasions and QP Only. That recently got changed(as in the Feb patch) to allow SCR back into scouting, but the Huntsman is a solid mech with what are probably better hitboxes for brawling in Scouting. You might start seeing SCRs again there but i doubt there will be many. Personally, I like my huntsmen more than my singular SCR.

3. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog

The Huntsman and Hunchback IIC both have better located energy hardpoints and JJs and can actually end up with more tonnage for weapons due to the Stormcrow being over-engined.

4. Engine desync with oversized engine... :(

Plus Russ's favorite the Bushwacker - because why not have a 55 tonner with the armor of a heavy and new toys to play with.

5. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Ew. :meh:

Ew, ew ,ew ,ew ew! :sour:

That thing is SOOOO ugly! I can't stand the sight of it, and I wouldn't be seen dead in one. :dead:

Appearances aside though, the mounts are so wide-spread and the convergence looks so terrible; I really don't think I'd ever buy one of those things. :shifty:

6. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog

Yes, they're ugly. But the hitboxes are incredible and they can tank for days.

Dagonus likes this.
  7. Purity The Kitty

Purity The Kitty Active Member

In QP: They're still a great 55 ton fire support mech, but the Huntsman has really replaced it for brawling and to a degree ATMing, so the only ones you really see are laser vomit and the odd AC20 crow. It surprises me as they really are fast and tanky, but the arms are quite easy to remove, neutering the mech. I do also still see ATM crows around; the extra speed and armor makes it a competitive platform vs the Huntsman's better hitboxes and jump jets, since the missiles are torso mounted.

In Scouting: On one hand it's back, on the other hand people have realized just how much damage potential the Huntsman has. That mech is insane and can easily keep up with 55 tonners. The stormcrow is still faster and bulkier, and can almost have as much available firepower, so I'd expect it to come back, but it also has to compete with the Black Lanner at 55 tons, which is even faster. Turns out my Chef Lanner is REALLY FUCKING DIRTY in scouting brawls, and if you run into something you can't flamer brawl like a fuckton of ac20s, you go lololol we go 130 with masc and ecm we're gonna smoke dive lata. You also have little problem running down meta smoke divers! Will it come back? Absolutely, but it's in the middle ground between the pure brawling Huntsman and the versatile Black Lanner. I suspect you'll see it more in solo/disorganized scouting.

In FP: Did we EVER see it? I don't recall seeing it.