What are your thoughts on the Blackjack?

Thread in 'Blackjack' started by Michael, May 21, 2013.

What is your favorite Blackjack variant?

1. J-1

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. J-1DC

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. J-1X

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. J-3

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. Don't Like Any of These

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. Other mechs do the job better!

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

So, what are your thoughts on the BlackJack mech?

Got a favorite one?

Wish they would have done something differently?

2. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

I wish they would have released the BJ-2 but I am guessing it will be sold as a hero later for it's missile hard points.

3. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

As much as I like ballistics, I think that a 45-ton-chassis is too small to mount more than one reasonable sized ballistics. I therefore voted the BJ-3 because I like the mobility granted by the JJs. Additionally, both him and the BJ-1 share that +15% torso twist speed quirk and allow for more twisting than the other two.

Ultimately though the BJ-1X might come out on top. Eight ML on a 100-kph-chassis sounds like a really nasty opponent.

EDIT:

+1

4. The7Sins

The7Sins Well-Known Member

It's like the Cataphract and Jagermech had a baby.

5. TruePoindexter

TruePoindexter Active Member

It's hard to say - they might make for a good fast sniper platform. I've felt for awhile that the current mediums are inadequate sniper platforms. Only the Hunchback comes close with the high mounted hunch weapons.

That said mediums are not in a great spot right now at the upper levels of play so I'm apprehensive to invest in them. Though I may get them just to complete the set (3 of the others already...)

6. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Need.
    More.
    Jump jets.

7. Marec

Marec Well-Known Member

I looked it up in the wiki, and the 2 things that stuck out was "lackluster performance" and "made by GMC".
    Anyway, if I ever need a 45 ton mech, it'll be a Shadowcat. Shadowcat. Shadowwww Cattt! :D

8. Dustwalker

Dustwalker Junior Member

Would have loved to see the 2x - other then that... i dont see anything besides Ballistics (which i find to heavy for a 45t Mech) that the BJ has to offer what another Mech cant allrdy do better.

9. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Ballistics on a 45-ton mech are not going to be very powerful. I do find it interesting that you have high-hardpoint variants and jump jet variants.

Either way, I won't get one for a while. Got to work my way through the chassis that have hero variants before I get to the non-hero ones.

10. TruePoindexter

They're slower than expected...

11. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Added two new poll options since you all have many different opinions lol

12. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Is the max engine really 235? That puts it way behind the curve.

13. TruePoindexter

Some preliminary experimental builds I might give a whirl this week if I get a chance...

The heatsink requirement is playing havoc in making builds :mellow:

Slow and awkward...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  14. CX 1237

CX 1237 Active Member

Just tried the BJ-1 and it strikes me as kinda 'meh' atm.
    I'm going to wait and let the community decide if it's worth the investement or not.

/CX

15. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

So I looked it up, this looks like the Raven of Mediums, except the 3L (1X) isn't overpowered. 235 engines on most of them is nothing next to a Cicada with 340 max or even a Hunchback with 260. The 295 engine on the "fast" one is still much less than the 325 for most trebs. I think this mech will be last on my list.

16. TruePoindexter

I'm getting that feeling too just from tinkering on smurfy. Only the 1X seems interesting and I'm not convinced I want to struggle through two others just to get the 1X leveled.

17. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I don't think you're the only one. So far the votes (granted, small sample) are 80% in favor of "don't like" or "other mechs are better". This is like if a Hunchback married a Jenner, only to find out they're cousins and so the result is the worst of the parents' genes.

18. Regina Redshift

It can't even dual AC/20 poptart properly. Useless.
    http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=77&l=7a14a6d19970576e1031f3e63735038b045ec7b3

Edit: This post is a joke.

19. Regina Redshift

I really hope that they let these little guys have the 250 engine. They need to be able to run significantly faster than a hunchback if they're going to last more than two seconds.

20. TruePoindexter

It's very disappointing. A Cataphract literally does everything better except for the high arm weapon mounts. Faster, more armor, better firepower.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast