VTR-9S "Sean Langs 'BAM!'" (1xAC20, 3xSRM4, 2xML, 1xJJ, XL385)

Thread in 'VTR-9S' started by Lan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

This is reverse engineered from a clip of Phils gameplay;

I would not not run tripple SRM4's as the tubes are 10/5/2 which means one SRM4 will be shooting a second salvo. But no doubt, he's crammed in a AC20 on a XL385 which is nice in itself. With speed tweak it will run at 85,8 kph and that is really something for such a massive damage dealer.

So credit where credit is due -> http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php/topic,932.0.html

I'd consider changing one SRM4 to a SRM2 and use that extra ton to either;

• Increasing one SRM4 to a SRM6
    • Putting in another DHS
    • Putting in another JJ.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  2. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, my EDIT needs to be read first:
    There are some mistakes made by you when reverse engineering the build. Some points are obvious from just watching the first 10 seconds of the video again. Therefore my critique didn't neet to be that harsh from the beginning.

- He clearly uses 2 ML instead of the MPL + ML combination shown.
    - His AC20 is fed by 28 rounds of ammunition.
    - The only change I'd made was replacing the third SRM4 with a 2-tube launcher, removing one ton of SRM ammo and placing 2 additional DHS (1 DHS + 1 JJ?).

------------
    [size=8pt]
    Hmm.... How to start? I do like the passion the NGNG guys show with Battletech and MWO, but this doesn't mean everything's gold they are doing or presenting.

So, my honest thought on the build? He gave quite a bit up just to cram that XL385 and didn't bother thinking about the mech's capabilities and restrictions. He even didn't put any consideration into crit padding by mounting DHS into side torsos or ammo depletion rules.

In detail:
    - 3 rounds of AC20 will run dry quickly if matchmaker doesn't fail again (read: equal match).
    - Meanwhile, the emphasis on the SRMs shown by the amount of SRM ammo puzzles me. Firing them means aiming with the torso while the arm-mounted AC20 can be fired from different angles.
    - His combination of Lasers doesn't fit together both range-wise and regarding their recycle time.
    - The VTR-9S's tube problem is easily recognisable after just one game. It needs a fixture for sure, but ignoring it and mounting SRM launchers firing in two salvoes doesn't suddenly make it good for sure.
    - And finally, the mech runs too hot for a dedicated assassin-style or flanking mech. Run / jump into it, firing some and shutting down amidst enemy mechs?

Tweaked build including points made in my critcism:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  3. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Sorry but what the heck happened there, my reverse engineered build never had the mplas? Look at the title. I'll change that. Weird.

Edit: Done! Thanks for the alert. But as stated, I never intended that MPLAS as is in the title, always the two ML. I think I probably was asleep when dragging in all the weapons... :rofl:

4. Aylek

Indeed. Sh*t happens, so what.

I think we can agree that the choice of SRMs isn't ideal. Allthough I am still thinking that cramming that XL385 into the mech costs too much in terms of firepower an heat efficiency, I like my tweaked build for what it is. When mounting an XL350 the same loadout works wonder with DUACs instead of the AC20.

5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

This build can work very well. The high maneuvarability of the Victors combined with an AC20 is absolutely deadly. Personally i would downgrade the Engine and the third SRM4 to have more Heatsinks and AMS.

look at my Terminator.Build http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=2457.msg14242#msg14242

Got high Kills/Scores with it. Well, it's a Terminator!

Blagg

6. goooooller

goooooller Well-Known Member

5/5

Switching to the XL380 frees up 1.5 tons at the loss of 1.2kph. Ive had a good amount of success with this build.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    Aylek likes this.
  7. TwigTech

TwigTech New Member

I love this build. I've been running this since the Victor launched, it's like an enormous Yen Lo. The only differences I have are that I run 2 tons of SRM ammo (Still 20 salvos) and shaved off some leg armor for an extra JJ and an extra heat sink. Easily my favorite assault mech to date.

8. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

I've been using a very similar build for the current Assault mech event. Not caring about the 2 missile tubes and searching for a high alpha, mobile harasser, I came up with this:

With fairly great success I might add. The mech is VERY flimsy. But it kicks like a mule! Gameplay vid and event ranking to be included shortly.

Shock and Flokoloko like this.
  9. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

I can vouch for this. Ran across you last night for a match and you went over 1000 in the Bog. I immediately tweaked my build to try to match ;}

10. Aylek

Exactly what I've been using for about 10 matches now just to see how the VTRs fare as brawlers nowadays.

11. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Hahaha. So you were the one hearing my rant against the TKer. And not @Riscy

12. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

Yep. That was me. He was so careless he didn't even realize it wasn't you that he killed. I'm pretty sure he stripped one of my arms.

PyckenZot likes this.
  13. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

So, as promised:

The build allowed me a 12th position on the leaderboards during the "Epic Assault" event.
    Top 10 easily within reach had I had more time.

Gameplay video:

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast