VTR-9S "Boxer" (2x UAC5, 2x LL, 4x JJ, AMS, XL320)
4/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'VTR-9S' started by Cthulu Jr., Jul 3, 2013.

1. Cthulu Jr.

Cthulu Jr. Well-Known Member

One of the few Assault Mech builds that can efficiently track and eliminate those pesky light mechs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. UmberON

UmberON New Member

I really didn't like all that ammo in the side torso so I moved it around a little. The loadout below has basically the same setup, but with no C.A.S.E and tearing a hair of armor off the legs, you can put in a XL330 instead.

As an aside, I've found that my 2x UAC5 build mechs rarely need more than 150 rounds in a match. Typically either you or the opponents will die before the last couple tons of ammo are relevant.

3. Cthulu Jr.

Cthulu Jr. Well-Known Member

An interesting alt, but you've put more than half your firepower at very high risk by placing half your ammo in the left arm.

Here's a compromise;

And I will never sacrifice my dakka for anything :angry: :p

4. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

You should cut the CASE from your build entirely. It offers nothing with XL engines in MWO outside of an extra item to hold a crit slot.

Try this:

Cuts CASE, adds a Jump Jet and rearranges some of the ammo to make the side torso less vulnerable.

5. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

I like the idea, I was working on the same thing with a much larger engine, an XL350. I think this is a good compromise between yours and mine.

I found yours just ran to hot to truly brawl with the big stuff, with this amount of heat efficiency you can really let lose on just about anything. Good and manueverable as well.

6. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Your build only weighs 79t. Removing one of the DHS allows to mount an AMS + ammo as well as upping the armor on the legs, which is really needed with all the ammo stored there. 47% cooling efficiency isn't too shabby, either.

Improved build:

7. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for doublepost, but there's one important detail I'd like to share.

Double-UAC are one of my favorite weapons, especially on assault mechs which can stand the enemy firepower while bringing the pain with these rather dps-oriented weapons.

As you can see from some of my designs, especially the "Tempest" variant of the HGN 733C, double UAC on a fast chassis should be something I should love, shouldn't it?

But the VTR's UACs aren't mounted once upon the other like on the HGN, but side by side. This means that there's some nasty spread when firing them, often hitting different locations, especially when fired from some distance. This means that -contrary to the HGNs - it's a lot harder to use the UACs for cutting through a single hit location like LT or RT and going for an XL mounted there. Call me disappointed.

Contrary to my first expectations I am now loving the 9K much more than the 9S, which earned a high probability to be sold after basics are skilled.

8. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

4/5,
    I use a XL375 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDXxElcVMJE

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast