VR headsets

Thread in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by PyckenZot, Apr 22, 2015.

1. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Having just had my first taste with a VR headset in 20 years. I believe we need to start this thread as I for one am certainly getting one.

Whilst my previous experience was nothing more than a polygon fps shooter back in the early nineties and proved nothing more than a novelty, using the Oculus DK2 was quite the opposite. The visuals were already impressive, but it is the immersion that got me. I never had imagined the effect this thing could have. Whilst (being a biologist) I assumed my brain would have a hard time coping with seeing movement whilst not moving, I was completely wrong. You just react to the visual movement. Rollercoaster jitters, counteracting tight turns and the sort. These things will lift gaming to a whole other level yet I have some reservations:

1-The immersion is complete, I can imagine people locking themselves away from the real world with this (eg. we already have gamers starving themselves to death without VR goggles,...)
    2-You have no idea of your real surroundings,... the missus might be having a stroke next to you. You'd never know,...
    3-You'll need a safety-belt on your gaming chair. I already counterbalanced on a virtual rollercoaster, I can only imagine what I'd be doing in a Star Citizen dogfight,...

TL : DR
    I'm getting one :stig:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    The Verge likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I've been thinking of this for star citizen rather than a three monitor display setup and once the public version is released its something I might get. Still want to try before I buy though as nausia would suck on a $500 piece of equipment. Plus I just got a 1440p 27" lol

3. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

4. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

5. enileph

enileph Star Lord

PROBLEM:
    Where do I go to get myself prepared for this even if I get the hardware.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That and I will have to fix my fingers first.
    [​IMG]

6. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

From experience, seat belts would be enough,... and required!

[​IMG]

7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

I'm also excited to get some VR Goggles! Will get some, when they are affordable for cheap money. :D

But you know what? I tried something very cool with MWO - i put a USB Stick with a MWO Gameplay Capture into my brand new 3D TV and setting the Virtual 3D function on with maximum depth, activated my Shutter Glasses and then watching the Gameplay Clip - WOW, MWO looks so awesome with FullHD 3D Immersion. Soo epic. Can't show/explain the 3D Effects, you need to try it yourself, if you have a 3D TV with USB Media Playback + Virtual 2Dto3D Support. Too bad i can't get the Virtual 3D with satisfying picture quality results when i connect my Gaming Rig via HDMI - my TV automatically sets to shitty low Resolution when running the Virtual 3D option during PC Mode, even when Windows is set to native Full HD Res. I think the Video Signal during PC Connection is different then just playing a mp4 file from the integrated Media Player.

Anyways, hardcore gamers definitely need the Oculus Rift VR Goggles for super immersive gameplay! :D

PyckenZot and anonymized1 like this.
  8. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

@Blagg Zear I have done this with My LG 3Dtv... It does a pretty good job with the conversion, but then why not cap the actual==> stereo video?,<==

Blagg Zear likes this.
  9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Thxx for the tip. Well, i just spontaneously tried out the Conversion Stuff with my TV. But for real, i wish a true 3D Support from the Devs ingame.

Have you already done it before with Fraps? I mean, how is the performance hit when capturing with 3D Stereoscopic View?

10. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

I haven't tried it with MWO yet, I have done this with other games through NVIDIa's 3d API though with other led system intensive games, and it has worked fine.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast