Thoughts on the Heavy Metal

Thread in 'Highlander' started by lewho, Apr 3, 2013.

1. lewho

lewho New Member

So, apart from wicked price tag, what are your opinions on Heavy Metal?

Right after the patch i've been in a game with 4 of them present (2 on my team, two opp) and both on my team survived and topped the damage list.

Seems to have everything - survivability, damage and jumpjets. First really great hero mech?

2. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

Yen Lo Wang was the First REALLY Great Hero 'Mech, IMHO.

Myth.

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Im mixed on the Heavy Metal.

Granted I haven't really gotten a chance to play with one stripped down and analyzed. I've been tempted to buy it but am waiting to see what the c-bill version will be like because frankly $30.00 a mech is insane LOL I've only got 10k MC left.

4. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

I love it. Granted it took A LOT of work and tinkering to find something that worked with its chassis. Once you get it down its a gem for sure. These are some things I noticed:

#1 Its an Assault mech. Even with the 325 you'll be only mid 60s KPH, so its not fast
    #2 Its a 90 ton Assault mech. It has a CRAP TON of armor, don't skimp on it
    #3 The side torso are actually fairly small so you can use an XL if you twist and move in fights
    #4 The ARMS have 60 armor, so don't worry about the gauss being in there..
    #5 The Jump Jets seem to take longer to recharge on the Highlander than on other mechs, not sure on this though.
    #6 The actuators in the arms actually keep you from getting to out of hand. No 3 PPCs, no 2 U/ACs, no AC/20
    #7 The LRM launcher only wants to load up ten tube variants. I put a LRM 20 and a LRM5 in her and she fired all 25 missiles in one volley. I put a LRM15 and a LRM5 and it went in two volleys?
    #8 Just like with all current mechs the weapons you put on the mech are displayed. So you can have two AC barrels in the arm. It shows PPC's over regular lasers, and actually shows you the number of tubes in the launchers.

To sum up. I love this mech. I do not regret spending the money on it because it will be my prime ride and get me cbills quicker. I just can't wait till I can paint it....

The Verge likes this.
  5. lewho

lewho New Member

Pink mech = +10 style

6. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I ran into one last night that had a Gauss and 3 LLASes. It was hellish.

7. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I don't think I will buy it, I'm not really into assault mech, but here's few thoughts anyway:
    - the model (thus the hit box) looks pretty small for its weight;
    - the jump-jets make them hard to outmanoeuvre even for light mechs;
    - the XL engine by default is lol;
    - the music thing is a great idea;
    - it's pink!!!

8. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

When it comes right down to it...this Heavy Metal is an Atlas D with a few choice diffrences.

-Music
    -Shuffled hardpoints
    -one less energy hard point
    -jump jets

Whether those are pros or cons is really up to you. I like it but dont have the money for it. "no job :sad:"

9. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

I can say that the first time I heard the music play from one it caused me to drop my guard and get shot down lol.

10. Mythweaver

Once they build an assualt 'mech that can move in excess of 100KPH I'll be the first in line to buy it, until then...

The only Assault 'Mech I own is the Founder's Atlas and it isn't all of the way through Basic yet!

Myth.

11. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

At least you did something with it. Mine was stripped bare and has sat there since opening day.

12. Voidsinger

Voidsinger New Member

I bought it (Pokemech player).

XL engine isn't much of an issue. Since HSR, a great many mechs suffer from Awesome-syndrome. Centre torso coring long before the sides.

The Heavy Metal is likely to be the only Highlander able to do the Highlander Burial consistantly, due to the 5 jumpjets. Less than that, and you won't get the air time needed.

Watch the arms, since all your Ballistics and Energy weapons are nicely lined up on each arm, your enemy can pick and choose.

The music sucks and really isn't rock and roll.

Jump Jets are something you need to work on, simply because the weapons when on other mechs, don't usually combine with JJs (except the lasers).

Well, name it Barney when you get it, and give it to the kids. Alternatively, name it Barbie, and beg PGI for a Barbie dream mechbay.

13. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I have been noticing a lot of people aim center mass. Pardon my ignorance and/or memory lapse, what is HSR?

14. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Host State Rewind. Basically they are working on the netcode that allows for greater accuracy to translate from client to host.

15. Mythweaver

Haha, mine didn't make it through basic 'cause I stripped it for parts and money!!:rofl:

16. TruePoindexter

TruePoindexter Active Member

I love it. It's a solid mech. No it's not as powerful in a standing fight as an Atlas but it has much more directed firepower than an Atlas can ever have (except for maybe the RS). Combine that with the ability to jump and it's quite powerful. Spinning in the air, poptarting, jumping over a building to safety and more are all possible. I was skeptical at first but I think it was worth the investment. I'm planning on getting at least two more Highlanders when the other variants become available.

Interesting trend... my founders Atlas is also sitting naked and devoid of gear. I've never been thrilled with the idea of re-leveling my Atlas skills as I had capped them all out in closed beta. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

17. knightwolf47

knightwolf47 Active Member

I have to second Poindexter and the others on their opinions. I was a bit skeptical early on with all the heavy weapons in the arms (experience from earlier Mechwarrior games), but this model has grown on me after a bit of practice, the arm mounts giving good precision ability while still being reasonably survivable with good armor placement and decent piloting. The jump jets are also nice for an assault, almost essential to have at least 1 or 2 particularly in the Canyon maps to help with maneuvering.

It is a bit of a transition going from the HM to the other Highlander variants, what with not being able to target energy weapons as easily, but some practice with the 733C Champion got me over that.

My Founder's Atlas went into the bay after the Gauss nerf (I used a 3 LL & Gauss variant) but after dropping the Gauss and spending some cash on Endo, I've found a new solid AC20 based build with a much bigger engine that gives it surprising maneuverability. Also makes a surprisingly effective LRM boat if I get bored...lol.

18. TheDevilsIncarnate

TheDevilsIncarnate Advanced Member

I enjoy the Heavy Metal so much, was my first hero mech and will always be my baby.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast