1. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

Thinking about new rig (PC or laptop - max 1400 USD)

Discussion in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by ManganMan, Oct 21, 2017.

1. ManganMan

ManganMan Active Member

I'm thinking about some stuff to play, since my venerable PC was... destroyed. :cry:

Now I'm thinking about some decent playing machine, and I've taken laptops into account due to fact that I'll probably move to other place, where there wouldn't be enough space to have a ready-to-go battlestation.

Since I'm from Poland, please take into account that PLN is around 3,60 times weaker than USD (so I need to multiply the price by 3,60; probably bit more due to exchange costs). Not mentioning the customs taxes...

I'm going to look around in Aliexpress mainly, since it's quite popular international webshop in my country.

And here are my proposals.

BBen G17 (AliExpress)

CybertronPC Vapor 17 SK-X1 (NewEgg) - yes, it's over 500 PLN but I didn't found cheaper stuff there;

PC Build Proposal from AliExpress:

[​IMG]

Do you have any other, perhaps better in price/performance/both, propositions for me?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. The Verge

The Verge Administrator Staff Member

AMAZON UK

I think a major brand would be a good idea. This laptop would be enough to get to gaming, and it can do it at 1080p with a great ISP screen.

3. ManganMan

ManganMan Active Member

Looks nicely, but I don't have like RGB light (it's for kids to be honest by me), and...

"This seller does not deliver to Poland". :(

I'll also try to look for something similiar.

4. The Verge

The Verge Administrator Staff Member

@MangaMan About your PC build, I'm going to just give you my 2c about each part.

For the PSU, you should be able to get something better from newegg. I would recommend reading 3D guru, as the reviews on that site for PSU's are top notch.

For the case, try shopping for Corsair or Cooler Master. I would also try to buy one used, from your craigslist https://warsaw.craigslist.pl/
    or any other site that has used computer parts, as it's very hard to make mistakes with used computer cases.

Kingspec SSD's are actually good. While they are not extremely fast, they do work very well. I can say this with some experience, as I have a Kingspec SSD in a laptop, and it has yet to fail.

For the GPU, the GTX 1050 will be a good starting base. If you can afford it, a GTX 1060 would be better, but a GTX 1070 is about the best bang for your buck. The more GDDR5, the better. I know nothing about Colorful as a company, but you might get a good card, or a dud.

4TB HDD is a bit much for storage, and the price isn't great. But if you need to store a LOT of files, you can't go wrong. I wouldn't put my online games on the HDD, as it is a bit slow at 5900RPM. I might try to find one that spins over 7000RPM, but that's not critical to gaming.

For the Motherboard, I would stay away from MSI. They are not great with customer service, and the warranty isn't great. I also think their manufacturing is sub-par, compared to other manufactures. But I say this after a bad experience with them when building a system in about 2008, so it may have changed.

For the CPU, Don't get an Intel ES series. These are for low power applications, as a standard 7400 should be running at 3.0GHz. I would go for the standard 7400 or the K for some overclocking. I would also HIGHLY recommend getting an aftermarket CPU heatsink. Again, Cooler Master makes great Air cooled Heatsinks. Phanteks is good, but CRYORIG is my new favorite.

Also, you need some DDR4 for that build :) It is currently missing in your parts list.

5. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Advanced Member

I haven't been looking to build a gaming PC since a long time, but I had a some experience and I read a lot of stuff back in the day (3 to 2 years ago)

To sum it up, here are my tips.

Tower PC VS laptop
    If you really need a laptop because you need it for work / other, you could look for a gaming laptop, BUT you have to spend a lot of money due to the fact gaming laptops needs to be both lightweigth and powerfull to be able to play decently any game... Plus, they need very good batteries to supply both CPU and GPU. They are too much expensive for my taste and, on that side, desktop gaming PC are way more cheaper with similar or better performances. I think the best solution is to buy both worlds: a desktop PC dedicated to gaming (cheap in the role of letting you play whatever you want) and a laptop dedicated to your work (good for you work and to keep your PC clean from whatever you do with the "home" desktop). A true "gaming" laptop with the same performances as my desktop PC would have cost the same as my actual "work" laptop and gaming PC combined: not worth it if you don't have space issues.

Usefull links to compare / check out components:
    CPUBoss - CPU comparer
    GPUBoss - GPU comparer
    PSU Calculator - PSU calculator: excelent if you have doubts if your PSU will be squeezed too much or not

About the components, I'll sum up what I can remember or I had experience:

CPU: go for i7 or i5 intel. AMDs CPUs are cheaper, but they consume a lot of power compared to intel, so intel CPUs will have same or better performance and the same cost over a 4-5 year timeframe (this is what I was reable to realize by reading performances on CPUboss) and for this very reason, will probably make your PC noiser due to the cooling fans running at higher speed more often). By my experience i5 without hyper-threading should still be good for gaming (I can't tell right now, but back in the day it was not squeezed at all for games like BattleField 4... Around 80-85% total usage), while i7 are more meant for heavy computational needs, like video processing / rendenring, 3D modeling etc. If you fall in the 2nd category because you are a "creative", the cheapest i7 are more than enough for most games (I'm a happy owner of a i7-4770s, the energy saving version of the i7-4770)

CPU cooler: I honestly never trusted water cooling and since I already have low energy-consuming components, the need for water cooling (and its mainteinance) never arised. If you buy a good air cooler (even something slightly oversized, but not too much or you won't be able to fit your RAM!) you don't need water cooling, especially if you don't own and AMD CPU and you do not overclock. If you don't overclock and you live in a cool place, IMHO don't bother with water.

GPU: here I can't help you that much. I own a AMD R9 270X which was the cheapest high-end GPU and it still is very good for gaming (I play MWO with everything maxed at 1920x1080 but NO anti-alising at all), but right now I can't tell what to choose and why. As far as I can tell AMDs are overall cheaper and with the same or slightly worse performances compared to NVidia, but most of the times it just depends on which game is optimised for which graphic card. Pick your poison, do your researches and go for a GPU worth around 150€ (it should be fine). Don't be too cheap with this one, or you will regret it because I had to lower everything to medium on BF1 beta, but it was a beta (so it was not optimised) and was a huge graphic improvement over most games.

Hard Disk Drive (magnetic) vs Solid State Disk: if you have some money, buy both of them. SSD are some much better compared to HDDs that you won't be able to go back to HDDs. Just be sure to install every application and your Operative System on the SSD and anything that doesn't need very-high performances (like photo, videos, documents etc.) on your HDD and you are good to go. Unfortunately, 120GB are too few for a gaming PC (I own 2x120GB SSDs and OS took 20GB, while a single game could take more than 40-60 GB) so go for at least a single 240GB plus a 500GB or 1TB HDD. Overall you should not spend more than 100€ with actual prices.

RAM: I would have said "just buy the cheapest with some good performance", but I'm getting the first "memory_management" BSoD after 3 years. I can't tell which brand is the best. As far as I know, 8GB RAM was enough for any game and 16GB where overkill. Right now there should be few top-end triple-A games which actually needs more than 8GB.

PSU: Corsair is my favourite brand. Use the powersupply calculator and buy the "recommended" PSU size. A modular PSU will save you the hassle to find a place for the unused cables and generally makes the "cable management" part easier.

Case: don't buy a blinky / LED case. It's just a waste of power and money (I own a cooler master x warrior case and I actually regret it). Medium tower are my favourites (it will make the cable management easier and you will have an easier time to add / remove / check hardware), but you can go for something smaller... Just remember to double check sizes!

Mother Board: just check compatibilities. My own MotherBoard is an expensive ASUS, but I should have bought a cheaper one. You should be able to take something cheaper from Gigabyte or other cheaper brands like my brother and my friends did. Just check BIOS compatibilities / case size / CPU socket and so on.

With that said, 3 years ago my own PC gaming was worth around 800€ included of the OS (windows 7 x64): I've added an additional 120GB SSD and 2x4GB RAM (for a total of 4x4GB RAM) for a grand total of 1000€ over 3 years. This PC is still rocking despite being used and stressed every day. The only issue I'm experiencing now are BSoD due to my RAMs failing from time to time, but I still need to test them and check out if they are actually the real issue and cause of those BSoD

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  6. Excalibaard

Excalibaard ComStar - First Circuit Staff Member

I think the best GTX1050 Ti card is the MSI version. https://pl.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-GAMING-X-4G.html , going by a hardware.info review that I used while building my new rig. It's as powerful as a GTX970, for half the power consumption and lower/equal price. Manufacturer can have a big impact on the performance of the card, so make sure not to buy one from a relatively unknown company boasting with clockspeeds. Usually it becomes very hot, inefficient and breaks down fast.

I have an Intel i5-6500, i5 is good enough for gaming as it's mostly GPU-based. i7 CPUs are useful if you want to use it for video editing as well, but I wouldn't go too pricey on this. I got an 'Arctic Cooler' air cooling system. Watercooling is not necessary at these budget ranges. Once you consider a multiple GTX1080 setup with an overclocked 7800K, yeah, watercooling could be worthwhile to look into.

I have 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM by corsair, RAM's been getting quite expensive over the last years, make sure you save enough budget, and make sure that you use both lanes to increase speed (2x4 > 1x8). I use 16GB (2x8) because I also wanted to do some video editing/streaming/other applications besides gaming.

My motherboard is an ASUS B150, the M.2 port with SSD makes it start up really quickly (8 seconds), and programs with a lot of loading time/data stream I have installed here. The SSD is 256GB, allowing for Windows 10 and a few important applications to be stored on SSD, and the rest on HDD. For your HDD as Verge said, try to have at least 7000 RPM, otherwise loading times in games become very tedious. I have a 1TB 7200RPM drive and yet to run out of space.

My case is a medium tower from coolermaster. just €30 with a great click-in system and a few led lights if you desire (mine is now red from the MSI card, and blue from the case lights :) ) I think a few LEDs like this have negligible impact on power consumption, so it'd be a waste to spend time to specifically find one without LED, if there's a similar system with LED.

This all cost me around €600, I believe (after selling my old computer for ~200)

7. ManganMan

ManganMan Active Member

After reading all those posts, I have my own observations which I would share with you.
    But first...

Yeah... Also forgot about second SSD for installed game(s), but later.

Yes, I saw that list. Mostly 600W-1,2kW units, but at least I see what manufacturers I should look for.

I'm quite experienced in building PC's. The last one (destroyed one) was personally built by myself only. Of course, I've also built at least 10 configurations in the past, beginning with old AT based PC with mere Pentium II 366 MHz :)

Good to know. :)

I know quite much - Good cards for competitive price from China. Also saw some benchmarking, but, hmm...
    Perhaps I should think also about some other manufacturer.

It's only for a storage. Nothing else. The plan is that OS is on the one SSD, second one (I forgot include it) is for game or two to play, and HDD is only to store stuff.

Interesting, especially when taking Excalibaard's answer into account.

That's because I had a problems with MSI MoBo too as well. Some board with AM3+ CPU Slot (had AMD Athlon II X4 635). After some long years of non-intensive using... it died. Suddenly died. Without any reason. Had to resort into the ol' Inner Sphere tradition - salvaging everything I could. So I removed all jumpers, battery etc, and the board went to recycling plant. And bought myself the ASRock board, also with AM3+ CPU slot, but with nVidia nForce 2 chipset. For a 150 PLN (now around 42 USD), it was a real bargain. Worked to the same end.

That's my throught too, but I was cautious and didn't picked one for Aliexpress build.

I'm living in quite cold zone (quite similarly like in southern Canada), so traditional air cooling should suffice.

Ah yes... :sour:
    The plan was to buy 2x4 GB of DDR4 RAM. At least.

That would be a problem, since I don't like RGB lightning and too much LED's...
    Perhaps I could agree with one or two LED's, but... without exaggeration. ;)

Now onto Carlo's tips...

• Tower vs Laptop: I'm a quite pragmatic person, and I know that in very small apartment I'll probably not be able to use a full sized PC there, so that's why I'm also looking for gaming laptops :)
    • CPU: Ryzens and Threadrippers are also not-so-much energy conservative?
    • GPU: Well I'm going to think about GTX 1050 max 1070, and RX 560 max RX 580.
    • Hard Disk Drive (magnetic) vs Solid State Disk: Like I said - Two SSDs for OS and games I'll play, HDD only as a storage.
    • RAM: I think that GoodRam should suffice. And try to run MemTest86 to check which RAM stick(s) generate that BSoD's.
    • PSU: Gonna think about that, but also I have (to be honest) other manufacturers on my sights. In terms of PSU, I don't have a fav manufacturer. I only want a modular construction, enough juice and some 80+ certification. :)
    • Case: Check above the last answer before giving my answers to your tips. ;)
    • Mother Board: Price is my primary goal, but also I must be sure it's ATX compliant. And have enough slots for expansions.
    Second PC build is coming, now on NewEgg.

EDIT:

Ok there it is.

[​IMG]

PS: I had to use BeQuiet PSU Calculator, due to lack of i5-7640X on my usually used calc (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp). Result was 335W, but to be absolutely sure, I've picked 450W PSU.

Also - that shipping costs (before taxes)... :arghh:

EDIT2:

Yes, also forgot about dedicated cooling >.<

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Excalibaard and The Verge like this.
  8. Excalibaard

Excalibaard ComStar - First Circuit Staff Member

I only recommended the GPU by MSI, the motherboard I suggested was an ASUS ;)
    Looks good :)

9. ManganMan

ManganMan Active Member

Thanks.
    But after the problems with that MSI MoBo, I've began to keep my distance with MSI.
    And forgot to tell earlier, but I have a buddy, who is an ASUS fanatic - every PC peripherial, every producible component, even phone - straight from the ASUS o_O

Thanks to him I had inspiration to do the drive setup I've told earlier.

Here is the missing parts - CPU cooler and peripherials. Damn those shipping prices... :hungover:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    The Verge likes this.
  10. rinco

rinco Active Member

I have had no issues with my MSI Z270 SLI Plus, MSI 1080 Sea Hawk X combined with MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X OC. I even got a few things for free via the redemption program on the MSI website. Plus their OC'ing program is better than anything I've used previously.

Regarding ASUS... I have had a few ASUS routers brick on me. But I'm sure their budget gaming gear is on par with MSI or even better.

In any case I would suggest you stick with one vendor.

ManganMan likes this.
  11. ZEEL_MadCat

ZEEL_MadCat New Member

go for i5 or new type AMD for ddr4.
    I bought i5 (3570k) and even not using all his potential :D