1. Welcome to MechSpecs!

If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel, mech building guides, and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

The Anders Company

Discussion in 'BattleTech - General Discussion' started by Shock, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Shock

Shock Star Lord

Night 18: The King Crab brawler is a success. And I got another model Highlander which I gave AC20, 4xSRM6. The long range Highlander was slightly reworked to use 2xLRM10, 1xLRM5 for slightly better cooling. We'll be finishing the Arano Restoration at the next opportunity.

Aylek likes this.
  2. Shock

Shock Star Lord

Sorry for the delay, I thought I had posted this already....

Finale: Kamea Arano is restored as monarch of House Arano. The final battle didn't live up to hype and was steamrolled by the lance of King Crab, Battlemaster, Highlander, Highlander. In spite of the recommendation to bring jump capable mechs, I found mobility was not an issue. For fun, i replayed the mission with a more mobile lance averaging about 65 tons and still came out victorious.

I'm not sure where I got from here in the game. I spent a couple nights floating around, making my way towards Canopan territory but mostly I'm looking to build a couple of mechs I haven't found yet.

Aylek and skribs like this.
  3. Shock

Shock Star Lord

Some things I learned as I went through the campaign:

Precision Shot is much too good. When your Tactics is high, it gives you 80-90% change to hit the CT. That really breaks a game that's balanced around random hit location. LRMs and SRMs are much better when all the missiles are hitting the same place. Personally, I'm not sure spread weapons should benefit from a Called shot. And LRMs on indirect fire definitely shouldn't.

Some skills are better than others. And some depend on your play style. Bulwark is always good. Evasion isn't very good. Juggernaut (2nd Guts ability) isn't good at all.

There's quite a large range of enhanced weapons and equipment you can find. Last night I found a LRM15++ that gives +2 damage per missile, meaning it will outperform a LRM20 in damage. SRMs and LRMs can get a 50% damage bonus if you find the right models, more boost than any other weapon gets. Which is kind of ridiculous considering they also deal the most stability damage.

The story mission briefings sometimes contain unnecessary suggestions about the kind of mechs you need to bring, especially when they emphasize the need for mobility.

The AI in the more complicated missions, mostly story missions, is really lacking. Too many times I saw mechs moving around without shooting because their primary target wasn't in LOS.

Aylek, Excalibaard and skribs like this.
  4. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I like to have my brawler with Bulwark and Evasion. When you're moving in to shoot you're evasive. When you need to move around and shoot, you can stay evasive easier. When you stand still you can get Bulwark.

I think what I would say about Called Shot is that (ignoring spread weapons) it feels called shots are too weak when you don't have tactics and too strong when you do. I think SRMs should definitely be affected by called shots...but to a lesser degree than other weapons.

I think the AI sucks in a lot of cases so that the game isn't too hard. If you were actually swarmed by 14 enemies at once it would make the game probably unplayably hard.

5. Shock

Shock Star Lord

I think you have that backwards. They throw a lot of enemies at you because the AI isn't so good. Also, Called Shot has to be good in order for you to be able to defeat so many enemies.

6. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

But the AI feels better with less enemies. If there's 4 enemies, they're typically all shooting at me. If there's a dozen enemies, I usually have 4 that don't even come in visual range, another 4 that move around a lot and don't shoot, and then 4 actually shooting. It's like in the movies where a fight against 10 guys is really just 10 1-on-1 fights back-to-back.

But Called Shot sucks if you don't have tactics. I think instead of 33% chance of CT hit with no tactics and 82% with tactics is a huge swing. It should be more like 50% to 65% with tactics, or something like that. And it should benefit large lasers, PPCs, Gauss, and AC10/20 more than it affects LRMs and SRMs.