TDR-9S "Simplicity" (2x ERLLas, 4x MLas, 1x AMS, STD300)

Thread in 'TDR-9S' started by Maurox, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Maurox

Maurox Well-Known Member

It doesn't get much simpler than this. High-mounted ERLLasers for sniping. 38-damage alpha is very nice to finish enemies. STD engine with good speed. Get LT blown off, you still do 23 damage, 18 long range. Get RT blown off, you still do 15 damage short range. And good cooling efficiency.

It works.

The downside: no arm-mounted weapons (one MLas doesn't count), so watch out for mechs above or below you.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  2. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

Only bad thing is you're not taking advantage of what makes this mech different - same build can be done on 5SS.

3. Maurox

Maurox Well-Known Member

I disagree that it's necessarily a bad thing. There are many cases of builds that work great and are reproduced in different variants to good effect. Some examples: 6xMLas/1xERLLas Firestarter, 3xLLas/3xSRM6 Highlander.

Just because you have x hardpoints doesn't mean you have to use them all to get a good build. For example, I never got much of 2xAMS in the FS9-S and in fact I run it without any AMS at all.

4. Gianky

Gianky New Member

Hi there!

Maurox, when I first had the -9S I envisioned exactly the same configuration you have.

But, since, on one side, I'm short on C-bills (I've been playing a very little longer than a month) and, on the other, I always build my mechs with survivability in mind, I made some modifications.

I kept the Standard 280 engine, so to spare a great deal of money, and I split the ERLLas between the two side torsi, so that, if I lose one or the other, I always end up with 1 ERLLas and 2 MLas. True, I can't snipe like you, but I've already found myself in many matches were I could keep fighting with a good punch because I lost only 1 ERLLas. It's just a matter of preferences, I guess.

Finally, I have 2 AMS with 2 tons of ammo each, and I have to say, I really like having them. They can't keep you safe from LRMs, but surely do a great job at stopping most of the damage they do; and what pass past them, is gonna be stopped by the left arm, which, without any internal component, can be used as a shield and sacrified.

Ultimately, I think I'll update to the Standard 300 engine and your configuration (I'm thinking upgrading to endosteel, losing 2 tons of ammo for AMS and I'm still not sure if dropping 1 AMS, or keep 'em both and stripping 1/2 ton of armour, from the legs and the aforementioned left arm), but right now I'm really happy with my interpretation of this weapons configuration.

If anyone wants to try it, here it is. As I said, it's good for people with few Cbills, when you acquire the standard -9S, you can configure it with just 1.486.000 Cbills.

Let me know what you guys think.

P.S. First post in here, so, guys, how do I vote for the configuration?

P.P.S. Maurox, are you Italian?

5. Maurox

Maurox Well-Known Member

Hi Gianky, no I'm not Italian, I'm from Argentina.
    You can't vote for TDR-9S builds yet until the admin enables it.
    About your build: even for 2x AMS, I'd say that 4000 AMS ammo is too much. You can also remove BAP, it's pretty much useless if you don't have LRMs. With these changes you can fit a couple more heat sinks:

6. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Active Member

It's really useful for Streak SRM as well. Otherwise ECM = no lockon.

7. Red_Febtober

Red_Febtober New Member

I'm of the mindset that Brawlers should also have BAP so the support mechs (Missile Boats) can still fire into the fray instead of staring at a group of low signal icons.

8. Maurox

Maurox Well-Known Member

Yes, and that build doesn't have streaks either. And it's a laser boat, so 3x heat sinks is a lot better than a situational team tool like BAP.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast