1. Important News!

MechSpecs is changing owners. Please follow this link for all the details. It also includes a crowdfund, all donations are appreciated!
    Thanks for your attention -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

TDR-5SS: 1 DHS worth losing 7 KPH? Your Opinion . . .

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt' started by Falconium, Jan 4, 2015.

Which of these two builds is your preference?

1. STD300: +7 kph

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. STD275: +1 DHS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Basically, here are two builds for the 5SS variant, and I'm really just wondering which of the two would be the preferred build of y'all.

STD300:

STD275:

2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

2% heat efficiency versus that 7kph speed? I'll take the speed. It helps with several things; torso twist, movement to a location, ability to hunt faster targets that are on the run.

3. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Speed any day :)

4. Durandal

Durandal Legendary Member

From a Tribes vet, "speed is life."

Stooge 3 likes this.
  5. Falconium

Those are the reactions I was expecting, and that's the build I've personally been using. I was just curious if there were any of us who cared enough about heat efficiency to forego the speed in favor of a single DHS. And apparently not! :D

6. Durandal

If you were looking at more than a 2% (unelited) difference, it might've been more of a question...but 1 DHS just changes things so little in most cases that it's not worth losing the speed. Now, if you took a small-ish speed loss for 10% unelited...then my answer changes.

7. Falconium

Well exactly, it's all about degrees. Large gains for minor losses = definite approval. But minor gains for large losses . . . not such a great idea.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. Durandal

Heh looking at the fully elited stats, it actually is an even worse tradeoff later on...with no basics, there's a 2% heat difference, but full elite it falls to only a 1% difference, so yeah, the extra DHS looks even worse in the long run. Really, I've started to only make that sort of tradeoff on Clan mechs a lot of the time now...since you can't change the engine, the negatives for adding a DHS are often less (ie, taking off some leg armor on a non-light mech that's never been legged in any game you've played) and thus more justifiable. I would also say that the easiest mechs to make this tradeoff on are going to be assault mechs...ie, if you downgrade an engine on a King Crab, you might only lose 1-2 KPH in comparison for some extra tonnage. As Falc said, it's all about the ratio of gain vs loss.

Motörhead likes this.
  9. enileph

enileph Space Pimp

STD300, no contest.
    The speed is worth that one DHS. (not to mention more armor.)

I would even think of taking out even more DHS for an SRM4 also. But that would be another build.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015