STD or XL

Thread in 'Highlander' started by Throet, May 2, 2014.

1. Throet

Throet Active Member

I've been running my 733C lately with an XL275, just because I'm broke and can't afford any other XL engines. Basically that means I'm left to tweak other loadout options and come up with something workable. I think it's a testament to the quality of the 733C that I can do this, and still come out with matches like the one I did last night with top damage, no kills, 11 assists, and at 23% condition. And all that without even losing any limbs or components...(I managed to get both the "Seriously?" and "Seriously, I'm Dead This Time..." in that match). Also, I only own two HGNs, so its only got basic efficiencies.

But enough about me. As you can clearly see in the Smurfy reference list(if you're not already aware), HGNs lack center torso and head mounted hardpoints. This makes it impossible to "zombie" in an HGN, since after you lose both side torsos, you're just a walking shield(which, lets face it, isn't all that useful in MWO), with low health. That leads me to my question: Aside from the obvious choice of using a STD engine for brawling(which I don't do anyway, because my ping is over 600), what type of engine do you use, and why?

2. enileph

enileph Star Lord

XL180
    Why? Because I Choose To. :cool:

I can hear the sound of a million mechbuilders cringing at the same time.

Real answer, nothing below 300, STD prefered. Helps since you are big and slow, having STD allows you to last longer. But if you think the XL is worth it and you are doing long range poptarts then it is ok I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  3. Jay Z

Jay Z Well-Known Member

Standard 300 is cheap and gives decent speed. If you are always dying by CT death in an Assault, you are not twisting enough, simple as that. A Standard engine lets you take more damage without dying. Almost all competitive HGN builds use standard engines due to using the entire left side as a giant shield.

However, surviving a match with 23% and an XL engine shows that you already know how to spread damage with an XL. I would recommend an XL300 / XL325 to increase speed and add more internal DHS if you really want to run an XL.

4. Throet

Throet Active Member

Very funny enileph. The second thing I noticed(right after the engine) was your 16000 rounds of machine gun ammunition. For a few seconds, I was thinking, "Is this guy serious?", then I noticed the AC ammo, and got suspicious. :p

I appreciate the candid answers. I knew the left arm of the standard variants was used as a shield, but I did not know that people used the entire left side that way. My other highlander(which was my first) is a Heavy Metal, so I have not established the habit of using the 'shield' on my 733C quite yet.

I had the fortune of learning how to spread damage while completing my Hunchbacks' efficiencies(or is that misfortune?). I'm glad I did, it's a critical skill in this game, albeit one I don't always remember to use. :( I don't pilot them much any more either, so I don't get as much practice as I should.

5. Hydrocarbon

Hydrocarbon Junior Member

The mobility increase of an XL I think is the greatest advantage, FAR overshadowing the reduced survivability. I regularly brawl 1:1 with light mechs & slaughter them. I can twist a lot faster than they expect, and back up against objects before they cut through my rear armor. Knowing where NOT to be also helps, and the speed increase has kept me from getting jumped many times.

I usually get my butt kicked only in unfair brawls (2-on-1 or worse) regardless of the engine type, so a few more seconds for them to core my CT vs ST doesn't do squat. The HL has big arms which can be used as shields, and most builds have an even side to side loadout to make an one arm loss acceptable. The shields can be used more effectively with the XL's quicker twisting, and I actually last longer brawling because damaged gets spread more evenly.

The only downside IMO is the lack of slots. I prefer balanced builds, and it's much easier to make a focused build in a HL by choosing the "big guns" instead.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast