SHD-2D2 Metal Storm (2x SRM6, 1x LBX10, 1x SRM4, 2x MLas, 2xJJ, XL270)

Thread in 'SHD-2D2' started by TheWatchman, Oct 22, 2013.

1. TheWatchman

TheWatchman Dispossessed

Finally! A Shadow Hawk variant with more one Energy hard-point. I know, I know, having two Medium Lasers instead of just one isn't going to set the world on fire, I just prefer it, alright? Anyway, on with the build.

I have to agree with HRB (His Royal Blaggness - sic). A Shad just isn't a Shad without a big pointy thing sticking out of its left shoulder. While this does limit the other weapon groups, you can't beat having a big, dependable, low heat weapon as your primary.

As the builds name suggests, the idea is to put as many 'rounds' down range in one go as possible. Though the chassis can mount a third SRM6 launcher, that would bring to missile Alpha to a total of 22, making for poor ammo management. I toyed with the idea of paired SRM4 and SRM6 launchers, for a total of 20 missiles, but this took up too much space, plus the ghost heat rule came into effect.

The three SRM launchers, when combined with the LBX10, put up a barrage of crit-seeking 'pellets', making this a great 'finishing' build. In many ways, this could be used in a similar manner to my 'Bodyguard' build, providing close support to heavier mechs. The build doesn't have AMS as I didn't want to sacrifice any more speed/armour. I may look into this later on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I don't have an XL270. I'll drop a JJ and squeeze an XL275/280 into it and give it a shot.

I'm a little concerned that, since the LBX reloads faster than the SRMs, it'll run dry first. Scratch that, the missiles will run dry only slightly after the ac, assuming continuous fire.

3. TheWatchman

TheWatchman Dispossessed

The build is very ammo dependent, which is why having two MLas is such a bonus! Having that extra 10 points of damage available whenever you need it allows you to conserve ammo for when you can make it count. I checked the weapon lab on Smurfys and the Heat Efficiency when firing the MLas is 100%, without any add-ons what-so-ever. Quite literally cool!

As I said in the OP, the best way to pilot this build would be in the close support role, keeping faster mechs off the backs of your Assault buddies. It probably has the speed to track Lights, but not chase them, so stick close to the main group.

4. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

When possible, 4xSRM4 > SRM4+2SRM6. Less spread, synchronized cooldown, supersexyness. The build seems to be a bit slow and hot though, might drop 1x SRM4 and SRM ammo to get an XL295 and full leg armor.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast