SHD-2D2 Battlefield Buckshot (4x SRM4, 2x MLas, 2x JJ, XL360)

Thread in 'SHD-2D2' started by Cpt Chattahah, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

So, last night I was testing out SRM hit registry, and, damn! I was having a blast. However, my KTO-18 was slow and I missed my rocketpack! So, I looked at my variant of Aylek's Lighthunter and started toying around...

"Hrm... I can use my XL360 from my Victor... What else can I fit in there?" Well, let me tell you; what I found was amazing!

The 4/22 patch gave SRM2/SRM4s a firing rate buff, which, combined with yesterday's hit detection make the SRM4 a MONSTER now! Combine that with a couple of Medium lasers, move to a forward position and wait for the battle to ensue!

With no further adieu, I give you the Battlefield Buckshot!

The max engine allows for a very quick delivery of such firepower, running 116kph with 340 points of armor (I've run that amount of armor on heavies before!) Dual Jump Jets allow for significant flight and maneuverability and the 13 DHS negate any heat penalty you may incur from the quad SRM4s!

You are limited to quite a short range, MLas only being effective up to about 400m. However, with 4x SRM4 on chainfire and the new firing rate, you will have a CONSTANT stream of SRMs nearly every .5 seconds indefinitely. Against large targets, I lead with a full salvo, then, once they have targeted me, I switch to chain and just keep them shaking and blind, burning their weak points with the MLas. It is a cruel and sadistic way to incapacitate an enemy and prevent them from keeping a good target on your speedy medium.

Pros:
    Max speed in the Hawk (Flanking/Quick Strike)
    High firepower
    Good Heat Efficiency
    Incapacitate enemies with constant screen shake and blinding explosions
    Enough ammo for 1000 damage without firing a single laser! o_O

Cons:
    Still an XL Powerplant
    Short Range means up close brawls
    Lowered armor in legs occasionally can become light fodder (however, 40pts each is still sufficient)

I only dropped twice with this last night, however, I will soon update with more screen caps and further analysis.

Cheers!

Chatt

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

Nice looking build, Chattahah! I'm glad to see a return to effectiveness for SRMs. I've been wanting to equip some of my Shadowhawks with SRMs but haven't had the heart since they were just so ineffective before. This *might* be enough to steal me away from my Ultrahawk, but I do really love that build. I guess I could retrofit my ultrahawk with SRMs instead. Hmmm....

When I try this, I will put in my XL350 (also from my Victors). Damn, you really own an XL360? That's such a niche engine. Didn't know you were such a baller to have such decadent things lying around! On the plus side, the XL350 allows for more leg armor while only losing a bit of speed which might really help when brawling.

I'm also happy to see some excitement and happiness in these forums! They're has been a lot of glumness around as of late. LRMageddon has passed - we should all be dancing in the light with flowers in our hair! :)

3. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

This is basically the same I ran in the SRM tests and 4 srms kicks behind prior to patch even. The build is what I envisioned would come out at the end, roughly. Should be sweet. I'll finish the post test and then try this one. :)

4. Cpt Chattahah

My XLs go 190, 235x2, 255, 275, 280x3, 295x2, 300x3, 320, 360. I didn't really want to drop to an XL320 (lose 13kph) so, I threw in that max engine. It's a different world! I'd run the XL320 on my Lighthunger (based off Aylek's build w/ 2xLLas, 4x SSRM) but this XL360 is just wicked for maneuverablity and fast as a highschooler's first time. I was really enjoying it last night. I'll have to get back on tonight or tomorrow and play around some more.

My first build last night to test SRMs was a KTO18 w/ SRM28+Artemis and it was tearing things up, but, it was slow, sluggish, and, pretty easy to bring down with an XL295 moving at about ~95kph. So, once I had tested an SRM only build and realized that they truly were back, I threw together something a little more competitive. This was how I came out. Short range, but, VERY powerful. Moreover, if you wanted to, you could always drop to an XL320 and throw an ERLL in and buff your armor to max. I just wanted to play speed junkie! :D

For Comp Drops, I might even drop two heat sinks and go STD300... But, that's not my style. I like my twist speed and re-position-ability. (new word?) :rofl:

5. e92

e92 Benefactor

This looks like a fantastic build. If you can master the SRM mechanic and achieve good accuracy with them, its devastating.

The most obvious comp would be with the lighthunter 4xSSRM2 builds like you said. My favourite measure of a mech is sustained DPS, so the comparison for me between the two at steady-state when all you're firing is the missiles because they provide better heat/damage than the lasers.
    - SRM16: 6.51 @ 61% efficiency with 13 DHS
    - SRM16: 6.83 @ 64% efficiency with 14 DHS
    - SRM16: 7.47 @ 70% efficiency with 13 DHS (mastered)
    - SRM16: 7.89 @ 74% efficiency with 14 DHS (mastered)
    - SSRM8: 5.71 @ 101% efficiency with 13 DHS
    - SSRM8: 6.12 @ 99% efficiency with 13 DHS firing LLas at 22% (mastered)
    - SSRM8: 6.33 @ 102% efficiency with 14 DHS firing LLas at 29% (mastered)

From a DPS standpoint, it would come down to whether or not SRMs can achieve >80.2% accuracy (6.33/7.89).

I don't think that accuracy is extremely farfetched. My current SRM accuracy is 77.78%. However, its a small sample from only a handful of matches in my victors where they are purely used as a shotgun while hugging enemy mechs. A more wild approach was used in my archived stats, where the accuracy there is 44.6%. This makes me think this mech would sort of play like a machine-gun-based mech, where your DPS output is somewhat reliant on being able to hug a mech to death.

6. matrixwolves

matrixwolves New Member

How do you get 4SRm's when the head is only 1slot allowing for only SSRM? My loadout always comes up slots short?

7. Bentellius

Bentellius New Member

Welcome Matrix.

SRM 4's take up one slot.

If it's still giving you trouble click "view full loadout" on the top right of the SHawk's loadout at top. I've solved many a loading problem by alt tabbing back and forth btw smurfy and the mwo client.

8. Bentellius

Bentellius New Member

This one's fun too but hotter and slower.

9. Cpt Chattahah

STD Engine Comp Build:

Much slower, but, you can keep it up longer.

10. Mr David

Mr David Junior Member

I wanted an IS mech to do what I like to do with my SCRs- fast brawling with mega DPS, good heat, and maneuvering. With an even larger engine than a SCR and JJs with still formidable firepower and great heat management, I fear no mech. Fast enough to get in and out quickly, dodge slow mech fire, and fast torso twisting to fire SRM shots and twist away to spread damage. Lots of ammo and the most durable medium chassis in the game. I prefer to run this on conquest where I can engage small groups at a time and pick my engagements. SRM's seem to crit pretty well too. Several 1000 damage and/or 5+ kill games with this. A good mech to put a warhorn on, since it will get plenty of use. Since I started using this build, my k/d has gone from about 1.8 to 3 on the 2D2, win/loss from 1.2 to 1.55. Best of all, it is super fun to run.

11. e92

e92 Benefactor

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  12. Mr David

Mr David Junior Member

Ahh, I missed that whole thread somehow. Looks like I picked a pretty efficient choice though :) A spare DHS and a half ton of leg armor at the cost of 3kph help this build over the OP. If a moderator could combine them, it would be appreciated.

13. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

love it

I run it with XL350, that seems to work better.
    It's surprising how heat efficient this thing is.. and how deadly
    the best thing is, it's also lightning fast...

PS

LOL.. first game, 666 damage *evil guitar solo*

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  14. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

You might have artemis equipped on your mech, which requires one additional slot and ton per launcher. remove that and the SRM4 should fit.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast