Scratch That Itch "Flea" IS Mech Is Coming!

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by The Verge, Mar 1, 2018.

1. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

They said it couldn't be done! That it would be too small and too fast. BUT THEY WERE WORNG!

https://mwomercs.com/flea

[​IMG]

oh, they limited the maximum engine size to 170, but they did give it MASC.

Fine, what about the hardpoints?

one mech comes with ECM, so that's good. Another has 7 energy hardpoints, so that's awesome. two variants have ballistic arms, and two variants have missile hard points.

$15 to get a basic pack, $30 for the collectors pack, a hero mech for $10 added, and two extra chassis for an extra $10. $35 for everything in the basic pack, $50 for everything in the collectors pack.

It is not really worth it for the money IMHO. I still might buy it...for science.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Dagonus

Dagonus Moderator Staff Member

I'm of the opinion that the best 2 mechs there are the 20 & the FA, but depending on how everything gets quirked that could change.

3. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

Coincidentally, the two you have to pay extra to get ;)

Dagonus likes this.
  4. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

A 170-engine on a 20-tonner goes 137.7 (before Speed Tweak). I'm given to understand that MASC adds 10% speed to a 20-ton 'Mech (unless they've changed the stats since its release). That 10%, plus the 7.5% from maximum Speed-Tweak skills, comes out to a top speed of 162.8 kph.

As I understand it, this is considerably lower than it would have been if based on original MASC stats (from Sarna), in which case MASC upped the speed of a 20-ton 'Mech by 33.3%, in which case the grand total would have been 197.3 kph. And that's the number that PGI always said would break the game/engine. I suppose that's why they didn't make MASC as powerful/fast/effective in-game as it was in Battletech.

Edit: now that I think about it, Speed-Tweak used to be more impactful too, with the old Skill system. I think it was 10%, instead of 7.5%, as it is now.

The Verge likes this.
  5. Dagonus

Hit registration and ping times are vicious apparently.

6. Shock

They're bad enough on existing light mechs. Making faster ones would just make it worse

7. Dagonus

8. Falconium

It's just a bit sad though. The Flea is going to move at a top speed of 162.8 kph. The Locust, with a maximum Engine of 190, already moves at a top speed of 165.4 kph. So even though the Flea has MASC, and as a result is supposed to be the fastest 'Mech ever, the Locust will still outrun it, because PGI gave the Flea a smaller Engine-cap than the Locust, which doesn't have MASC. So the "fastest 'Mech ever" isn't even the fastest in-game.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    The Verge likes this.
  9. Dagonus

10. Falconium

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "fastest ever". I meant just conceptually, as the iconic 20-ton Light 'Mech with MASC.

I'm just complaining. :rolleyes: When you put the two 'Mechs side by side, the Flea "should" be able to use MASC to be considerably faster, albeit at the risk of taking leg damage. As it stands though, you can go faster, without that risk, on the Locust, for the cost of one ton (when you factor in DHS count).

11. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

FLE-16
    Built as part of the Wolf's Dragoons exclusive contract with Earthwerks Incorporated to replenish the Dragoon's losses at the end of the Fourth Succession War, alongside renewed production of original Fleas, the FLE-16 was the first new production model of the extremely rare 'Mech in centuries. The variant remedied the earlier FLE-14's weaknesses by combining incredible speed with additional armor and weaponry on a 20 ton chassis. The engine was upgraded to a GM 180 in order to reach a similar maximum ground speed of nearly 150 km/h. It mounts two Martell Medium Lasers and an Olympian Flamer while retaining an armor profile like the earlier FLE-15. Even though the FLE-16 carries more weaponry than its ultra-light predecessor, the armor is still too low to endure direct combat.[15] BV (2.0) = 506[16]

12. Dagonus

The FE-16 isn't one of the mechs being added though.

13. Falconium

I should clarify this actually. You can go faster, with the Locust, with NO downside as far as weight is concerned. In fact, it's an absolute benefit!

XL170 = 4 tons
    XL190 = 6 tons

But when you factor in the extra DHS needed with the 170, as well as the 1-ton + 1-slot that MASC will take up on the Flea, there is actually ZERO benefit to running a Flea vs running a Locust (aside from weapons, quirks, etc.)

Where engines and speed are concerned, the Locust comes out on top, especially since it doesn't have to risk the leg damage of MASC, it has a higher top speed anyway, AND it gets an extra internal DHS.

14. Ruludos

Ruludos Benefactor

Looks like the -17, -20 and -FA are the only ones with MASC, and therefore the only ones worth using. Thankfully they're the ones with the best hardpoints anyway. XL170 with speed tweak will run at 148, and MASC will push that up to 177.

I'll probably do 7xSL on the -17, 5xML on the -20 and 6MG+3SPL on the -FA.

15. Falconium

@Ruludos Do you have different numbers for MASC than I do? I thought from the patch notes that it only added 10% move speed to a 20-ton 'Mech (which seemed stupid low, but patch notes don't lie? idk). I'd love for them to be wrong.

16. Ruludos

Ruludos Benefactor

I'm sorry; that's my fault for posting things without double-checking them. Fleas will only go ~163 with MASC, assuming speed tweak. These poor mechs will need some really good quirks to match up to the Locust.

EDIT:
    Someone on Reddit is claiming that the stats for MASC MK1 in the game files includes a 20% speed boost, rather than 10%. I'm trying to find some other documentation but all I can find is notes from way back before Clan Wave II.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Falconium likes this.
  17. Falconium

I feel like this should be easier to research than it has been. I mean, if Smurfy's Equipment tab had the numbers, it'd be easy. Even so, MWO's site should really have a section for numbers and stats like these.

Dagonus likes this.
  18. Shock

Unless they break with current philosophy, MASC has the same effect no matter what version it is. The only reason there are different ones is for weight because they can't have an equipment item with variable weight.

Dagonus likes this.
  19. Ruludos

Ruludos Benefactor

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast