RVN. How to use it?

Thread in 'Raven' started by dog_funtom, Feb 22, 2015.

1. dog_funtom

dog_funtom Well-Known Member

Current challenge gave me the RVN-3L(C), but all I see after a dozen (non-CW) battles using "Backstabber" (3x ML as, 2x SRM4, ECM, XL280) is that this chassis is worthless.
    What am I doing wrong?

Or let's phrase another question. How huge is the difference between RVN mindset (or maybe overall Light-mindset) and Medium-Heavy mindset? Do I need to train for a year to build comparable skillz amount?

I have been playing only IS Mediums and Heavies since beta. Have w/l and k/l >1, a few cases of 1k+ damage in non-CW.
    Some time ago started using Stormcrow and it went smoothly, really really smoothly.
    When tried to use gifted VTR-9S(C) and other Victors, it went poorly, I barely elited them and sold both non-hero of them. I'm still hoping to achieve better results in more trueish Assaults.
    And now here is RVN-3L(C)... and I'm starting to hate it even more than VTR!
    Actually, I piloted Lights in beta when I was newbie, but it doesn't count, because that “piloting” was crappy anyway. I learned the way of MWO only some time after the complete switch to Mediums.
    Also I have recent use of trial SDR-5K: over 24 battles I got 1.4 w/l and 1.3 k/d. Maybe it's just lucky streak, IDK.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Not at all man. Not at all. I'm good in the Super Chicken. Damn good. But if you want epic you should talk to a guy nameD Lord Azurescens. Or Lord Cubensis. Or Gumpy2k. All extremely good chicken players.

3. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Trying to work out if you're being serious @dog_funtom ?

4. dog_funtom

Yes, and really frustrated. Over 6 matches I did 423 damage, i.e. 70.5 per match. It attracts hellish amount of enemy attention after first scratch when I try to backstab anybody. DWs and others just fire all weapons in my general direction, hoping something will hit me. And can't say it's wrong tactic, because while I flee, I get 3 random hits, while mere 2 hits = death in 80% cases.
    P.S.: Before you ask, I know at least very very basic stuff about Lights, like moving in zig-zag and spreading damage.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Ok, let me sit down and give you some advice from a moderately competent light pilot (me, in case you were wondering)...

In today's day and age of ZOMGWTFINSTAGIBTHELIGHT you need to be like water. You need to flow. Don't be static. You also need to use your more vulnerable lights like a sniper and not a brawler or even a skirmisher. The problem is there are too many guys out there who are good at DireDouching and they will look in your direction, push a single button and there ain't nothing but a red mist where you were standing a second ago.

One of the reasons that the Super Chicken does so much better than the Back Stabber is because you can detach yourself from the main battle group and circle around the outskirts of battle taking out targets of opportunity. All the while pouring out damage or waiting for that perfect moment to drop an air strike or arty and really fuck with the enemy.

You need to use EVERY part of the Raven to it's full advantage because you are so sorely outgunned by the Warhawks and DireDouches that it isn't even funny. Even my Howling Fury King Crab mows down Raven legs before you have a chance to say WTFWASTHAT?

Camo: Yes, believe it or not this is important. I run three camo schemes on my raven. Unfortunately we can never tell what map we are going to drop on so some times I get screwed over by this but on Ice CW drops I happily run my white body with dark grey or black accents raven (the one with the bird bones on the side works well here to break up your body lines). This allows me to really use my ECM to be effective. Especially when I get up into a sniping position far off and I've repositioned slowly.

ECM: You need to use this muthafucka like it is the single most important thing in the world. Pay attention to the fact that when you come in close to an enemy you are going to make his display go all fuzzy. He will know he is being jammed. If the pilot has good situational awareness he will know you are close by and within optimal range of his Diredouche firepower.

Speed: Ravens are fast. Maybe not the Backstabber, but most Ravens are pretty quick. Still, you aren't the fastest guy out there. FSAs can run you down. Jenners can tangle with you and Huggins are a bad enemy to tangle with as Fire and Forget pilots will just take bites out of you with SSRMs. Easy mode. Use your speed to maintain your distance to just at, or just above, your optimal on the ERLLas.

Situational Awareness: Know who you can take and who you can't. If you see a target who is cored CT then you fucking pop that sucker and reduce the enemy firepower by whatever that mech was carrying. Then you move on. Consider yourself the ultimate vulture. Pick the bones of your enemies clean and move onward. Allow your big guys to do their jobs and soak/distract the enemy. You peak over a ridge like a razor sharp scalpel and you light that sucker up! Another part of this is "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em". No spot is the "ZOMGTHISISAWESOMESNIPAHPOSITION" forever. Use that spot a few times and move on. Never let the enemy encircle you are you are hooped. Stay fluid, like water! ;)

Rannik, Valistan, CX 1237 and 3 others like this.
  6. dog_funtom

Thanks for the detailed response, @Michael, I really appreciate it.
    So, basically, I chose wrong build, better switch to snipy one, then follow your detailed tactics description. Understood, will try, hope I still have a chance to be friends with Ravens.

7. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Give it a whirl and see. I'm not saying my way is the Be All to End All way but for me it works. Today there are too many point and click meta-men out there that will Diredouche you the moment you get in close to use those SRMs on them. All it takes is even an accidental click and your legs are blown off. Stay away, Stay Moving, Stay alive!!!!

Besides, I have seen some truly epic things done with the Super Chicken. I've been close to 1500 points once before myself and I know guys who are legit that have reached that level. Master the Raven and you can achieve much!

dog_funtom likes this.
  8. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

The MLas/SRM build CAN work for the Raven (in fact, it's a fairly popular one due to its success), but you have to understand that this build is vulnerable, now more than ever. In the post-quirk and post-clan game, you have mechs that can excel at hunting lights, so having a Raven build that gets close makes you more likely to be countered by these mechs. Generally speaking, these are the mechs that will hurt you most: streak builds (stormcrow, mad cat, mad dog, summoner possibly), Firestarters (A, S, or Ember), and Jenners (albeit slightly less so, since quirks weren't as good to them).

To understand why this is, we need to compare the hitboxes of your Raven to the hotboxes of other mechs, and point out that Ravens have two specific vulnerabilities. First, the CT of the mech sticks out with that giant nose; while this is nowhere near as bad as the Jenner CT, it is still an inviting target. Second, your legs have far worse hitboxes than mechs like the Firestarter or Spider, and can be taken out much faster. This is why quite a few of us prefer the Superchicken sniper instead, because the Raven simply cannot stand up to a semi-competent pilot in a Firestarter A with 8 SPLs, or a Streakcrow that gets in close. By controlling the engagement at range, it gives you more of a chance to do some damage before the match ends.

The Raven is not a horrible chassis, nor is it incompetent at filling a role, but it needs to be played with some care and finesse, playing hit-and-run as much as possible, and using teammates to help defend it from those who would try to charge and destroy you. Remember that, with ECM, you are considered a primary target by the other team, and you will be focused it they can find you. So, grit your teeth, and be ready for a struggle for survival in most matches.

dog_funtom likes this.
  9. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Don't forget the LRM scout abilities of this mech either, it was designed for that. Possibly the best one at it in a premade lance. Find the enemy, use VOIP to inform on position, NARC and call targets, be the teamwork linchpin.

• High energy hardpoint in right arm is sweet for a TAG laser with minimal exposure
    • 35 tonners can easily fit a NARC launcher and a large engine for fast repositions.
    • Enough spare tonnage to either go dual MPLAS or single ERLLAS pending on preference.
    I had a sweet time yesterday on Caustic, opposing team had 4 (I kid you not) Firestarters. Normally, that would mean death but luckily they were poorly coordinated and I managed to NARC them one by one and even TAG two. My two lancemates in LRMboats made short work of them. Even managed to NARC a cpl of larger mechs at close to max range, clean across the crater considering the bullet speed of the NARC missile that's nearly prophetic. ;)

Here's a good thread detailing Ravens as scouts: https://www.mechspecs.com/threads/raven-revelation-best-lrm-scout-as-of-march-2014.5128/

PS: With this weekends challenge, I now have two 3L's. One decked out as LRM scout and one as Supa Chicken (4 kills, 663 dmg as last mech standing yesterday as @Remarius can vouch).

10. enileph

enileph Star Lord

strip the engine and things, then sell it.
    I don't feel like having yet another 3L. (free mechbay and cbills though. And upgrade from normal version to C version)

11. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Run in with XL295 to start with, can't go any lower then max engine in the brawl setup imo.

Only on basics I've had decent matches, on the line with the one I posted in the challenge topic.

If there's a build where you can lower the engine, that's the sniper one, to get +1 DHS, and only with speed tweak.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    dog_funtom likes this.
  12. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

It's either super chicken or my own hybrid build (1x ERLLas, 2x SLas, NARC - to be found in the build section) for me when riding a 3L.

When I want to be a light maniac backstabbing bigger guys I prefer one of FS9-A / Ember or JR7-D / Oxide nowadays, as those are much better suited for that kind of play style in my view.

dog_funtom likes this.
  13. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

It has been stated repeatedly. If you want to backstab, get another light. The RVN-3L was made for ERLL. (One of the only builds I put advanced zoom on actually,...)

dog_funtom likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast