Casual RGH-PH "Powerhorse" (1xLBX10 3xSRM4 2xMPL LE300)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'Powerhouse' started by Dagonus, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Dagonus

Dagonus Moderator Staff Member

This was the first thing I tried on this chassis. There's a lot of spread and not a lot of focus on it but it touches on the quirks and can move quick enough to go use its weapons.

2. boods

boods Active Member

5/5,
    Excellent build; tough, fast and can lay down some damage.

I actually built mine like this, but it's similar enough I didn't want to create a new thread.

3. Lorgot

Lorgot Advanced Member

Mrm10 are extremely hot compared to other mrm, so I’m not sure if they are worth it maybe,

Or

Could probably work, though the first lacks pinpoint and the second lacks ammo, both have shield arms that are quite armored to take some hits

4. boods

boods Active Member

MRM10's may be heat inefficient relative to the MRM20/30/40 but a build with 42% cooling efficiency will have easily manageable heat. I don't like XL's in heavies, even with the Roughneck's armor quirks. The 3xMRM10 gives a MRM30 in group fire or more control in chain if needed.

5. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

MRM10 weights like an SRM6 and has worse spread, worse damage, higher heat, slower rate of fire and duration (SRM has none) I really see no reason to fit it on any mech: it isn't even good to provide suppressive fire due to the low amount of explosions.

Keep in mind 2xMRM10 + 1 DHS is less efficient compated to 1xMRM20 (more heat generated, the single DHS can't dissipate the additional heat and more slots occupied)

Also, IMHO 40% heat efficiency is quite hot for a brawl build: if you are 1vs1 against a fresh mech, you must deal damage meaningfull for the final killing blow... If you waste heat on MRM10 over 100 meters (because that's the range below which the spread will not be atrocious) you could end up overheating very soon. From my experience, if your target torso twist or you can't manage to focus damage on CT properly even my solaris cyclop 1xAC20, 3xSRM6+A, 1xSRM4+A with 50% cooling efficiency was going to overheat against bigger and tanked foes.

You could use coolruns, but it won't make the build sustainable in the long run, especially if you have to push in the open and there is no shelter nearby to cool off.

It's true XL engine are very risky on brawlers, especially in pug. Niche cases are bushwackers in scout, but that's a whole other story.

6. boods

boods Active Member

Fair points, but what's the point of comparing MRM to SRM? They are completely different weapon systems with entirely different functions. MRM10 has 0.25 heat per shot more than an SRM6 so it's not like that is going to sway anyone's decision. SRM6 have half the range of the MRM10, and in my experience SRM6 require Artemis for any type of reliable accuracy.

Dropping all three MRM10's and go with 3xSRM6 (assuming you don't use Artemis) you end up with the same cooling efficiency but fewer shots available per ton of ammo.
    Dropping two MRM10's and a heatsink and putting in an MRM20 increases cooling efficiency by a meager 1%.
    Dropping all three MRM10's and a heatsink for a MRM30 increases cooling efficiency by 2%.

Your perspective of MRM10's inefficiency is dependent on assuming they are group fired compared to MRM20's and MRM30's. The reason I enjoy MRM10's is that chain firing them gives better control over what volume of fire you want downfield at any time and gives better control of your ammo usage. 2xMRM10 saves a ton of weight compared to a MRM20 but utilizes an additional slot and generates 2 more heat; a fair trade off for the additional control and weight savings on mechs that are not constrained by slots.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast