QKD-5K Pepperdoggy Flash (1x ERPPC, 5x MLas, AMS, XL360)

Thread in 'QKD-5K' started by pepperdoggy, Jul 26, 2013.

1. pepperdoggy

pepperdoggy Junior Member

=http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=84&l=bd449f7874f3892dcc51b19da53d3c7a1b0d9528]QKD-5K

Here is an experiment on my Quickdraw fire-support energy build. It may not have the best firepower but it sure has speeeeed! The biggest drawback here (some may say) is the lack of jump jets on this mech. This may be best suited for constant sniping and moving at long distances as well as capping runs. The armor is almost full which can be helpful especially when getting sniped by heavier more well armed mechs who have spotted you (hence the snipe and move). So far these roles are what suit this mech (at least in my opinion) best. Let me know what all of you think. Happy Flashing!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I run 2 PPC variant of this mech. You do have a few advantages with a higher speed and a bit higher armor. But JJ really make this mech the chassis it is. I'd have to give it 3-5, simply because having 1 weapon to snipe with is not enough.

pepperdoggy likes this.
  3. Deafro

Deafro Junior Member

I do like the idea of a single PPC because it has the speed to stay at range against other close range loadouts. With your speed though you shouldn't need a ERPPC, so I opted for a standard PPC and replaced two of the heat sinks with jumpjets. Then I took some armor from the left arm to buff the legs, since all that's in there is the medium laser, and people who stalk the forums always think the legs a good target.

This is a well balanced flank skirmisher, can't wait to hear how it does on the field of battle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
    pepperdoggy likes this.
  4. The Verge

don't bother running a single ppc. run the ERPPC. I've had a Quickdraw hit me in the back with 2 PPC's at 50m, and it did NO damage.

I do agree with the leg armor buff, I've been legged in the Quickdraw more than any other heavy mech.

pepperdoggy likes this.
  5. Deafro

Deafro Junior Member

Well yes PPCs have a minimum arc, but the ideal range for his laser bank is 270 meters, at which he suffers no heat penalty.

pepperdoggy likes this.
  6. The Verge

Look, most build's are meant to do one thing. Snipe, Brawl, LRM, Meat-shield, or Scout. Their are combo's of these roles, but it's usually a combo of only 2, not 3. This Quickdraw has 1 weapon to snipe with, doing 9 to 10 damage, depending on splash. It is not enough compared to most sniper builds, doing 20 to 40 damage with 2-4 long range weapons. I carry 2 PPC's on my Quickdraw, and only 4 ml. But, for this build to be a Scout Brawler, you need to be able to hit a mech at any range, including under 90m. This mech is no Meat-Shield, or Sniper. It is fast enough to scout, and needs to hit enemy's at any range, inside or outside of a brawl.

ML don't even have a heat penalty till 5, so it's fine as is.

I however, think the role of a heavy Scout Brawler in this mech is not well done. Dragon's are faster, and have more armor. Your only advantage is JJ, and even then, 2 is barely enough to get the job done.

Better to have the -1% heat and hit everything with the ERPPC, than to be trying hitting a light mech inside of 90m with a PPC, because his only weapons are small lasers.

pepperdoggy likes this.
  7. pepperdoggy

pepperdoggy Junior Member

Thanks for the comments guys and I very much appreciate the effort and points you have both mentioned. They are both quite valid in their own right. I will continue to try your suggestions to see what plays well for the roles this mech can fill. Again, I appreciate the healthy discussions here.

8. Malthyrius

Malthyrius New Member

[quote author=Vergere link=topic=2503.msg14776#msg14776 date=1374948229
    I however, think the role of a heavy Scout Brawler in this mech is not well done. Dragon's are faster, and have more armor. Your only advantage is JJ, and even then, 2 is barely enough to get the job done.
    [/quote]

Unfortunately your info is wrong. The Dragon are both 60 ton mechs so the armor is the same. They both can have up to 360 engines so one is not faster than the other.

All that aside, this mech does have possibilities but I would have to say the PPC is the better choice. Under 90m, the MLAS should be the weapon of choice.

9. The Verge

I see, my info is wrong, but my point still stands. ERPPC inside of 90M and outside of 540M makes it better in a SINGLE PPC VS ERPPC option. Also, Having the option of 50 vs 60 damage is better than only 50.

pepperdoggy likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast