Casual PXH-1B "Kalmar Kid" (2xSNPPC 2xLMG ECM XL295)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'PXH-1B' started by Dagonus, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Dagonus

Dagonus Moderator Staff Member

Slightly weird engine that I had lying around. I always have problems with these entire set despite thinking it was really awesome looking at pre-ordering 5 only to find that I didn't know what to do with any of them. Since coming back to the game post tech upgrade, I decided to try to get these working again. This went well for me.
    It takes advantage of that nice PPC velocity quirk. At the range you're using SNPPCs, that makes it a virtually instantaneous shot. which is nice. Once you get them opened up, LMGs to the opening.

Excalibaard and SoLong like this.
  2. SoLong

SoLong Benefactor

Imho, for SNPPC velocity quirk is not priority... builds with HPPC/3xML more interest for me, but i love snub effect too... and have pxh-2 with similar build xD

3. Dagonus

Honestly, It was just happenstance. I had been trying this mech for eons with ERPPCs, regular PPCs and just never could get it going, the Snubs just worked evilly for it though. I was using snubs on another PHX and it just made even more sense here, especially with those MGs, but I can totally see Snubs in other PHXs. They're a great mount for snubs.

4. SoLong

SoLong Benefactor

5/5,
    Snoobs, LMGs, ECM... give two!

5. Dagonus

Realized there's an obvious upgrade if you have an XL300 lying around.

And you can also go for a jumpier version too:

6. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Xl295 isn't that weird, max for many of the best 35t mechs.

On discord we talked about it a bit, i'd prefer to cut the lmgs and put on more dhs and jjs. Spread on lmgs is pretty bad nowadays and they have been nerfed hard with the critchance. Mostly worth it for mg heavy mechs that want to increase their effective range or mechs that aren't agile enough to get in mg/hmg range but want something to do with hardpoints and cold dps.

Maybe run mg or hmg though the latter are probably too heavy?

7. Dagonus

I'd go regular MG over HMG if I were to make that swap, but the ideal ranges for LMGs and snubs line up really well. I havne't actively run the mech in a while as I've had other things to play so the MGs might play out better since the LMG nerfing, but even just 2 MGs of any size work well as supplemental to the Snubs I think.

8. TucsonKaHN

TucsonKaHN Junior Member

With regards to the XL300 engine versions of the build, Dagonus, consider trading a few points of leg armor or a heat sink for the tonnage to mount a small laser of any variety on the side torso weapon mount. This will give you some kind of armament if an arm gets blown off. Alternatively, migrate one of the PPC's to that mount.

9. ShiverMeRivets

ShiverMeRivets Well-Known Member

I would put the 2 SNPPCs on the same (right) arm and eliminate any convergence issues - you guarantee that both bolts hit the same component of the target.

I am not a great fan of SNPPCs, but when you can put 2 of them tightly clustered you get a poor mans AC20.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast