1. Dear MechSpecs visitors!

To help pay for the hosting, an extra ad slot using Google AdSense's new 'AutoAd' system is being tested. This is only enabled for our (many) guest visitors, so register an account and the site will be back to how it was. Let us know if these ads get too invasive, as user experience is of course top priority!
    --- Regards, the MechSpecs team!

Pacific Rim came first... and now this!!! Holy sh*t!

Thread in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Blagg Zear, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

When will we get a MW Movie from the same epic size?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Dispossessed

As an oldschool Godzilla fan my body is ready. But you all need to know that I'm going to be a total hipster about this. I love all the Godzilla movies... even the really bad ones. They're hilarious. You haven't laughed until you've seen Son of Godzilla.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
  3. Business

Business Advanced Member

Great trailer. Looking forward to the release

4. zudukai

zudukai New Member

not soon enough, we need an origins movie, then 30 more, each faction throughout the timeline, add a few for a random tidbit of lore.

5. Blagg Zear

I'm wondering, if there will be a Villain-Monster already, or not yet.. Imagine it will be a Remake of the Legendary Fight between Godzilla and a Piece of Sh*t. :rofl:

6. Blagg Zear

HOLY SH*T! I just read that Godzilla is not the only Kaiju in the upcoming Movie! At least 2 other Badass M**herf***ers will appear and probably fight the Boss of the Badasses! One is a buglike beast like Mothra and the other one something like a flying reptilian like Rodan. Damn can't wait to see this Sh*t!

p.s. already bought the bluray of Pacific Rim. ^_^

7. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Never understood the appeal of the Japanese style giant monster and robot films.... but then I like character development not wooden acting. ;)

8. Blagg Zear

I waited my entire (!) life to see a badass Hollywood production of Godzilla. I already knew in 1993 when i saw Jurassic Park that the Day will soon come. But then 1998 came a Chicken Version and i was soo disappointed. Since then i hoped every day that Hollywood would give it a new chance and make it right this time. Now i think my time of waiting will finally End this Year. Wow!!!

P.s. The new Godzilla eats Whales for food. WHALES!!! FTW! And the villain monsters are coming to hunt Godzilla for a reason. Still not clear, but definitely has something to do with atomic energy. :phear:

9. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

You'll have to explain the fascination as words have utterly failed me. ;)

10. Blagg Zear

It's rather the fascination of Giant Creatures existing in our world, what physically is not possible. I also didn't like the wooden animation in the old japanese versions. But Big Monsters fighting each other - Badass awesome. If you are fascinated by giant Mechs, then aren't you also fascinated by giant Creatures? In a museum i stood next to the Skeleton of a big Whale. It's so freaking awesome how big that thing is.. :rolleyes:

11. Business

Business Advanced Member

Those are not staples of giant monster or robot films, let alone any other specific genre. Most movies have little character development and high school level acting but few bring out the kid, super nerdy biologist or NASA-rejected engineer in people quite like monster/robot movies.

Also, you need to remember the cultural mindset of Japan (and the rest of the world) when the giant monster movies started coming around. That still resonates even 60 years after the original Godzilla.

As an aside, I just curious if it actually mattered if it were Japanese-style or not? Apart from Cloverfield (...to varying degrees) and South Korea's The Host, there's really not any giant monster movie outside of Japan that I can think of worth mentioning. Unless you're talking the cultural differences that make it seem as though the Japanese actors are wooden?

12. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

This was the only trailer I saw in theaters last night that actually looked interesting.

He's big. That's all I know.

13. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Underlined bit - you say that like its a good thing? ;)

All those films lose me a bit so its not specific to a culture.

Not sure why but they've simply never appealed to me.

14. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

Remarius, are you talking about Kaiju movies in general, or specifically older Japanese monster movies. If it's the former, you should really check out Pacific Rim. If you've already seen it and still think the genre is terrible, then there's really no hope for you. :p

15. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

He he no I was working covering for a manager in Edinburgh when that came out and totally missed it.

That said... whoever said there was any hope for my blackened soul. :rofl:

16. DRRosen3

DRRosen3 New Member

Rodan is in the movie. Depending on which trailer you watch you can see glimpses of him. His wing-claw is in one scene and then a silhoutte (sp?) of him is in another.

[quote author=Blagg Zear link=topic=4989.msg31699#msg31699 date=1386878591]

When will we get a MW Movie from the same epic size?
    [/quote]

Love MW, but much bigger games (Halo for instance) still don't have a full-feature film. So the chances of seeing a MW film (before those) is slim.

17. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Ready to give us your review? ;)

18. Blagg Zear

Just watched the movie. Big scale Special Effects, but crap story. Nice Monster Design, but the Fights are aweful and didn't make fun at all. They tried to fill too much of unnecessary Family Tragedy into the story and totally lose the Focus on Godzilla - he is just the NPC that shines at the very End. Ow man Pacific Rim had little story but at least it was cool entertainment right from the beginning. This here tries to be serious and scientifically correct instead just give us a big Fat Monster Freak Show like in.the classic G-Movies. Feels more like a Desaster Documentary a la Cloverfield. Just less Action and more brainless military strategy.
    The Plan: ..Well, we couldn't kill him with kilotons in the past, but now we have megatons! This will work, let's do it! Collateral Damage? Who cares?!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm just too curious about how successful the movie will be worldwide.

19. Business

Business Advanced Member

You know that the first Godzilla was actually quite serious, don't you? Godzilla himself symbolizes atomic destruction by the only people to have had it used against them. Being that this is meant to emulate the original, especially with the continuing worries of Fukushima and nuclear weapons and power in general, how can it be a detriment to the movie? It is just as relevant now as it was then.

I think you need to see Godzilla again, specifically Gojira. It wasn't all stompy stompy from the start in that one, either.

20. Blagg Zear

I know what you mean. I have all the Movies in my Home Video Collection. But i didnt expect to see a family drama focus story and stupid military strategy. Nevertheless the movie will have it's lovers and haters, because it isn't what you expect after watching Pacific Rim. ;)