1. Thanks for all your efforts with rating recently! You have helped a lot with making this site more user-friendly! There are still many builds that have not received a single rating though, so if you see a build with no stars, you know what to do ;)!
    -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

MechLab coming soon!?

Discussion in 'Theory Crafting' started by Excalibaard, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 01110010 01101111 01101111 01110100 Staff Member

As the beta currently does not yet have a functional MechLab, nor do we have an idea of how the MechLab will function if it gets one, this forum is pure theory crafting at the moment.

Use it as you please to talk about preferred mech customization systems, or which mechs you'd customize to what purpose or something similar :)

Cheers,
    Excalibaard

2. Shock

Shock Benefactor

Word on the forums is that engine size is going to be locked. Hardpoints will work a lot like MWO but with the addition of Support weapons which covers flamers, MGs and Small Lasesr

Excalibaard likes this.
  3. ManganMan

ManganMan Benefactor

OK, here it goes. Hope I didn't screwed something...

First: JM6-A :)

Excalibaard likes this.
  4. Excalibaard

Locking engine size (or just having select engines that fit) would definitely help with having another balancing lever to pull, though speed seems to be not quite as important as it is in real-time MWO. Support weapon slots sound like a good idea. From what I've seen, the UI seems very good as well, I hope PGI takes some pointers.

5. Shock

Shock Benefactor

Battletech has changed a few things about how mechs are built. Engines are indeed locked. I think that helps preserve the character of certain mechs but unfortunately leaves a few crippled. Support weapons are machine guns, small lasers and flamers and use their own hardpoints.

The biggest change is crit slots. Weapon sizes have changed and slots available are different. Here's the breakdown of slots available per location
    Arms = 8
    LT/RT = 10
    CT =4
    Legs = 4
    Head =1

No weapon takes up more than 4 slots, so you can theoretically put an AC20 or LRM20 in your Center Torso. And there are quite a few mechs with the option to go double AC20.

The one weird thing that been bothering me is that several mechs have hardpoints which they will never be able to use. For example, what's the use of giving a Locust 2 Ballistic hardpoints if MGs are support weapons? You'll never mount a single autocannon, much less 2, on a 20 ton mech with a locked engine.

Excalibaard likes this.
  6. Excalibaard

The big CT space is... odd. I'm not sure how I feel about an AC20 in the center of my mech ;p

I'll be working on some subforums for people to share Multiplayer dropdecks, and individual mech builds. Though it seems that in Singleplayer mech building is mostly constrained by RNG and C-Bill income, so it's not useful to have forums describing those kind of builds.

7. Shock

Shock Benefactor

I think having someplace to discuss builds that work in the campaign should still be valuable. Seeing builds that work could help you make decisions on how to select salvage and what sort of weapons are worth buying as opposed to waiting until one falls in your lap. Also, lance composition and tactics in the campaign are an important part of being successful.

Excalibaard likes this.
  8. Excalibaard

Yes, a discussion/help forum will be made available, not sure if dedicated build sections for each variant are a necessity though. If there is anything missing after the new forums are created, let me know.

9. ManganMan

ManganMan Benefactor

Never went onto Compact Engine/Gyro stuff, eh?
    But yeah, that's odd for early XXXI century.

Anyway - watch around for Smurfy-equivalent web tool for loadout building for Battletech; so far nothing atm.