MAD-5D "Barbossa" (2xSRM6+A, 5xMPLas, 2x JJ, STD325)
4.66667/5,

3 ratings

Thread in 'MAD-5D' started by Cpt Chattahah, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Lots of firepower to brawl up in dey faces! These Side Torsos pop a bit too easy, so I'm sticking to STD builds for now...

Not much explanation needed. Heavy firepower, all but max armor, beefy STD powerplant... Go forth an Maraud like the Space Pirate you are!

VanBurenPhilips and anonymized1 like this.
  2. Restosiii

Restosiii New Member

If I wasn't such a terrible brawler, I believe I'd quite like this build, but my ability to brawl is pathetic, plus I've been having a major losing streak recently, so I didn't profit at all from it. I'd also like to mention, the title says you have a 300 STD engine, but the build is a 325.

3. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

Like this build.. didn't like spending the 1.6mil for the upgrayeds, but if you want to brawl with this thing you have to have the standard. Plus, the Arty keeps your damage nice and focused. Bagged me more than a few kills last night once I got the feel for it.

Nice build Chatt

Edit: Oh, and thank god I had the 325 in my inventory, or I would have blown my nest egg.

Cpt Chattahah likes this.
  4. Cpt Chattahah

Thanks for the catch on the Thread title!

This is surprisingly quick for toting so much firepower. I thought the super short range would be more of an issue, but I'm looking now to try similar builds on other chassis. The MPLs and SRMs are working magic!

5. onebit

onebit Benefactor

5/5,
    Nice build. I wanted to run 3 LPL + SRMs, but it's too much weight/slots to still have some speed. This is a nice compromise. I also like that it still has 2xJJ and doesn't sacrifice too much armor.

Definitely hotter than the 3 LPL/2MPL build, but it also has higher firepower. The sustained damage is also about the same, despite the heat. I switch to lasers or missiles alone after a couple of alphas.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. KingGladiator88

KingGladiator88 New Member

Tried recreating this with to be a bit cooler and deal with the new resurgence of lurms. Does have 1 less Med Pulse though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Cpt Chattahah

You could also cool it off by losing FF and Artemis, switching to SRM4s for tighter grouping and upping your heat sinks... Less firepower, while the SRM grouping is still focused. Also, if you haven't already built this, you save some money on upgrades...

Definitely runs easier with the cooler setup, but your alpha is lower and still relies on some spread from SRMs. More sustain, less power... hard to determine which is more effective...

8. Madgoose

Madgoose Well-Known Member

MAD-5D
    I prefer this build - much more heat efficient and still deadly.
    I'm using MPL range +SRM6 cooldown modules - and the bodycount varies between 2 and 4 mostly.

9. drengur

drengur New Member

5/5,
    Nice, finally got my Johnny Five achievement with this build. And a whisker under 1000 damage.

Top notch.

10. Cpt Chattahah

I had forgotten about this mech... It was way too hot. I tried standard MLas, tried SRM4s, just didn't really feel right... Then I settled on a bit slower engine and it clicked!

I give you Barbossa MK.II

11. Soulcatcher

Soulcatcher Junior Member

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and you get more room for Dbl Heatsinks and the difference in speed is negligible.

Plus it has one added advantage.
    All the other MAD's are Right Side heavy with weapons while this one is opposite. I have gone thru many games with this build where they take my Right Torso and then just forget about me while moving on to other targets. I guess they are thinking that all my main weapons are now gone.
    Bad Idea LOL.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  12. drengur

drengur New Member

I found the same with the engine, way cooler, and already plenty fast for a heavy.

13. The Shazbot

The Shazbot Active Member

Here is a game with my slightly modified version:

Running a standard 320, no JJ, 3 tons of SRM ammo with both Missile Rack Skill Nodes, and 18 DHS.

14. ShooterMcGavin80

ShooterMcGavin80 MechSpecs Addict

I like the look of this build. Here is my take on it:

15. The Shazbot

The Shazbot Active Member

Yea the lfe mad this build a LOT better!

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast