Looking to buy my first hero... YLW?

Thread in 'Centurion' started by Carry The Fire, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Carry The Fire

Carry The Fire New Member

im ready to buy a hero mech.... i realllllly like my cn9-a... running ac2, 2mlas, and 3srm6... good long range and Terror brawl range... and the YLW just look soooooo cool, though i question its hardpoints and how usefull they are in actual gameplay... soooo i need to know if YLW is worth it, or should i just go for muramets or firebrand like everyone else....

2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

YLW is for nostalgia not competitive match play.

Ilya or FB for meta builds.

3. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

The Yen Lo-Wang is the worst Centurion by far, as it can only move it's arms up or down. otherwise, it is an ok mech because it can do a large gun or an large engine.

4. Carry The Fire

Carry The Fire New Member

Thank you guys :D fast and accurate responses

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

The Yen is not the worst Centurion, it's only the less good. :cool:
    The main reason is it does not gives a lot of loadout options: basically AC/20 or double UAC/5. All the other loadouts can be build on others variants, with better arm mobility (*). And with missile hardpoints if you want to change.

(*) actually, the other Cents have a smaller torso twist so if you play with arm lock the YLW will be better.

6. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Even when I have arm lock on (I switch back and forth depending on what I'm playing, LRM boats or arm-heavy builds I go without arm lock, torso-heavy builds or builds where I have weapon groups split between arms and torsos I turn arm lock on, but I always have Shift as my button to hold if I want the opposite.

The YLW is my favorite Centurion. I don't actually like the D much (you waste too much weight by getting a bigger engine) and I really dislike the AH (ammo-limited and generally builds spend too much weight on weapons, so you have a finite amount of ammo and then you're a stick). The AL is okay, and the A can make a great brawler, but there's just something about the AC20 that makes me love the YLW.

7. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

I think you should rethink the AH. AC20 + 3 SRM4 is a brutal brawler. Yeah, it runs out of ammo but it hits much harder than the YLW while that ammo lasts.

8. Anunaki

Anunaki Active Member

Not every Mech you buy has to be accepted meta. The YLW was one of the very first hero Mech introduced to the game. They did it when Cents WERE the meta lol. I agree with another poster that the YLW is actually my favorite of the Cents. Not only that, but it is one of my favorite hero Mech that I have purchased so far. It was a bit better I think before the quirks got nurfed when it had insane AC20 skillz, but in trade you can now run the same load out with higher speed, more survivability, and still have enough room for an AMS thanks to the Light Engines addition. The ER Medium upgrade is a great help also. It may not be the meta long range alpha boat, but it's still hella fun and one of the few Mech I always feel I either was a huge factor in the match or I did something cocky and stupid and got killed lol. It's a kill stealing champ with the ac20. Ac20, two ER ML, LAMS, ammo, and the biggest LE you can fit and its good fun.

9. Ex Redux

Ex Redux New Member

STK-M prints money. Civil War update = 2x HPPC, 1x UAC/20. Easy to pilot, you're back line fire support so snipe the annoying shit and wiggle your nose if they shoot back.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast