KDK-3 Gauss-Bear (2x cGauss , 2x cERPPC, cXL400)
5/5,

2 ratings

Thread in 'KDK-3' started by Spazamataz, May 18, 2016.

1. Spazamataz

Spazamataz Junior Member

Simple but effective, my brother and I have been running it with more success than other builds,
    I believe this is due bears fitted to hunt bears right now.

The PPC's instead of ERLL is important for close range (ironically) as pinpoint CT damage is important when facing a spirit bear as well as maximum amount of screenshock for your own survival.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  2. ReconSaint

ReconSaint Star Lord

5/5,
    Brutal. An absolute horror on the battlefield.

3. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

You got the basics right, but other than that the build is far from optimal if you ask me.

This is a brillant example how lowering the engine size leads to a better build on the Kodiaks. As a dedicated long range sniper this doesn't hurt the build a lot (if at all?)

In addition to this, this kind of build is excellent for using one of the big arms for shielding only.

I am using a 360 here as it is the same engine I already purchased for my quad cUAC10 on the KDK-3. This allows me to use a cAP as well as a slightly bigger TC. Ammo for the cGauss is plenty as well so don't worry if you miss a salvo when firing at extreme ranges. You could also go for a cXL 375 by skipping the cAP, using a TC1 and reducing the ammo and armor slightly.

ReconSaint likes this.
  4. P

P Well-Known Member

Call it the Dire Bear hahhahaha

5. Spazamataz

Spazamataz Junior Member

It is firmly AGAINST my ghost bear religion take the XL400 out...
    Stats and "Optimalisation" be DAMMED!!!
    pshh.. stupid 'but it's better in every possible way moderators.... wait a sec.. you Jade Falcon aren't you?!?!?!

Aylek likes this.
  6. Spazamataz

Spazamataz Junior Member

Oooh Kaaay...
    So tried out Remover of Obsticles 'Stone Bear' (Quad Gauss)
    It's.... better in almost every possible way... and yes Aylek... I did change the engine... and...SHUT UP

7. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

8. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Taking this build a bit further with engineering. You an use Machine Guns to bump the Gauss into the shoulder hardpoints. Also slapped a large TC6 in there to increase that sweet sweet velocity. Another benefit of the TC is to get as much crit-chance as possible. Yesterday I scored 5 headshots and NONE of them scored a crit (or 2) to finish the job. This was in the KDK-4 with the same loadout, but no TC. So hopefully the large TC6 will help ensure the Gauss Rifles get at least 1 crit that is required to finish off a head component. You only need 1 crit for 17 and below armor. If the mech has 18 armor, you require 2 crits to deal enough damage.

The higher mounts are not completely necessary for the mech as the lower hardpoints are right next to the cockpit anyway. Without the MGs, you could bump up to a TC7 and mess with the armor/engine a bit.

Haven't play tested it yet, but this is the build I have developed:

ReconSaint likes this.
  9. William Greubel

William Greubel Junior Member

I would like to ask a question, why not use LPL"s insted of er-ppc's , my reasoni ng is that you could use the pulse of the lpls to time the gauss. So , in theory, you could connect one LPL and Gauss for each side , lft LPL & GAUSS/ rht LPL & Gauss/ middle 2LPL @Gausss you might be able to drop the machine guns and use the extra weight for more ammo / dbl heat sinks / other balistics maybe ultra ac2s

10. andInTheGame

andInTheGame New Member

I was using basically this build, but with a couple of flamers in the arms too. I managed to get my first 10 headshots with it. Thought the same thing about the MGs, for less exposure while peeking ridges. The flamers are a nice touch, because if something does get up close, it'll probably shut down and you can just dual gauss their face. Heat management is otherwise not bad at all.

Left/right mouse for left/right PPCs, group 3 both gauss linked, group 4 flamers and MGs linked.

I called it "Head Hunter".

-edit: guass cooldown 5, ppc cooldown 5, radar dep, target retention modules

11. Spazamataz

Spazamataz Junior Member

An excellent question William,
    In the end PPC's have a couple of in-game mechanics which places them superior to lasers,

First off- SPLASH damage, this really does help massively in pugging since the majority of pugs either can't aim.. or don't take the time to target info and select already damaged areas, flaying off that last bit of arm/leg/torso using splash damage can be the difference between life and death when they return fire.
    Second- the underestimated (in my opinion) SCREENSHAKE, again getting hit in your sweet spot in between your own salvos is a make or break whether pugging or faction play.
    Third and most important- FOCUS damage, you aim at their weak point, it dies... ERLL, and even LPL can be at least mitigated by experienced players who either strafe or torso twist spreading the damage across their armour.

In the end Lasers look great on paper and they definately have their own strengths...
    BUT.. LPL doesn't fair well past the 600m mark.. and you really want to stay outside of that range with this build.
    ERLL would be much more consistant at the range you would prefer using this build especially if your still learning the more advanced weapons of the game.. especially considering firing ERPPC's ahead of your target whilst charging the GAUSS then readjusting to fire the more direct fire GAUSS rounds all whilst the target is probably running sideways with a few loops at 1km+ just to rub it in...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  12. Spazamataz

Spazamataz Junior Member

Also... I woud NEVER take machinbe guns in this build... or any other build... EVER!!!
    They are one of the most useless weapons in the game with SOME exceptions when massed (im talking like 6 at once)
    Be my guest... sit there when face to face with a fellow kodiak when his armour is stripped and his inner structure is deep red on your screen.. then watch as he TEARS YOU APART SALVO AFTER SALVO.. and your wondering WHY OH WHY ARENT MY 2 PUNY MACHINE GUNS FINISHING OFF THAT LAST BIT OF STRUCTURE!?!?!?!?!..... seriously though.... don't

Even INTHEGAME's kodiak of Dual-MM and Dual-FLAME won't be any use for their weight and heat in my opinion..(why 2k rounds for 2MM's... you couldn't use that up if you shot at rocks the whole game)
    SOLAHMA is using MM's to push the Gauss up into higher hardpoint... which is an EPIC idea.. seriously.. a kodiak can hide behind heavies and use them as a Mech-Shield like that...
    first... why are you even that close??? what went wrong??? why were you open?? where are your bruiser?? why weren't you with them?? Weren't you supposed to be sniping??????
    Second and more importantly the only mechs that would stand still within 90m for any length of time aren't exactly lightly armoured... and if they're close to overheating.. two flamers aren't going to be enough to tip a heavy+ over the edge unless they would do it themselves... and dualMM are.. as previously stated... useless in every possible way.. unless your chasing (and keeping up with) light... wrong mech.. wrong place.. wrong build..
    Sorry to be harsh.. but it's either harsh words or harsh lessons... your call...

13. andInTheGame

andInTheGame New Member

Yeah, I guess there's no need for the 2k MG ammo, maybe just a half ton or even none - simply using the MGs to boost the gauss. I don't think you're being harsh, but since I'm pugging, stuff will often go wrong, so you end up with stuff close and it will nearly overheat itself. It's not like the flamers and MGs are there for much, but I've had it come in handy for very little tonnage. I don't want the gauss high to stand behind other mechs, but it's easier to poke out and expose less above a ridge with the higher mounts. I could have a slightly larger engine if I dropped the MGs and flamers, but I own a 360XL already, so there's that for me to consider.

14. Spazamataz

Spazamataz Junior Member

First off let me clarify my engine stance.. I use CXL400 because I refuse to spend the same amount on an C-engine as what would buy me a shiny new mech to play with.. but Aylek is 100% correct, an CXL350-360 isn't just 'optimalisation' for sniper builds.. it's better in every possible way.. especially for a sniper who would never need the extra speed to keep up with the arse end of the pack... sell 2 CXL400's buy the 350-60 and hot-potato those two between your builds..
    (I use 400 for my KDK-SB but thats a seperate 'optimisation' argument)
    I also wouldn't advise S-engines for 100tonners (unless you were very map aware) as being caught away from the pack is a death sentence more often than not..

If you really want to be able to scare off lights or even have a shot at taking them out never go flamers.. SPL for the win especially with MM.. similar range etc the only problem is dual SPL will be ignored by seasoned vets and more importantly have better swing with the arms so will go out of alignment with the MM's (not a big deal since 2MM's... well) put it this way.. 2xMM + 1/2 tonne of MM is 1 tonne of missing GUASS, 10 shots will play out way more importantly too a sniper than the minimum damage/ threat of MM/SPL/FLAME or if your ammo is fine more TC

If your expecting to have that much drama at close range though your going to do much more damage/ threat/reach (arm reach is very make or break when fighting lights) with ERLL on the arms, strafing a running med/light with 2 ERLL's will do shit loads more damage than sitting on an immobile light with MM's/ SPL's
    Moving the GAUSS up a hardpoint is VERY situational in the end... I've never had a problem firing at cockpit hight.. (usefull in well organised Faction plays though)
    Your better off removing all the fluff and placing ERLL's instead of ERPPC..
    Then with your spare space/tonnes follow SOLAHMA's example and add the biggest TC on your SHEILD ARM... the extra range will be advantagous as well as the volocity being more forgiving to all (not just new) players.. lastly the crit damage to ERLL strafing the lights will give you more a standup chance to actually get a kill (and thus C-bills).. WIN!! / WIN!! / WIN!!
    Extra 2 tonnes on your TC= more damage output at 90m range with 2 ERLL than 2 tonnes of 90m fluff
    MM's/ SPL/ FLAMES are for lights that can't fit anything else.. and even then the META ones SPAM for their dmg.. (Like 6tonnes of 90m damage)

15. Malystryxvof

Malystryxvof New Member

5/5,
    This build works great, but i made a few changes to engine, added 2 MG's to bump the gauss in the upper slots, and went with a TC 1.

Have had some great games with it, specially on maps/matches where no side wants to push, and you can just plink away at each other (I won :p). Second ss also in river was a lot more hectic fighting in the buildings against a wave of lights...

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=408&l=bf57edaa113af9252171b6462f0a5164b54b510f
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. William Greubel

William Greubel Junior Member

WOW i'm really loving this site and you guys as well , but i have another question or two ...?... Is having the active probe worth it with the tc2 ??? why not add more gauss ammo??? Oh and the firing, would it be better to pace out the gauss and when it fires hit the dual er ppcs? Or is that a heat no -no? What about one er ppc dual gauss and one er ppc??would that be easier on heat?.........OH and yes i will be using this build...other members of my clan hate this build because they think its going to become the new meta...Me i just want to hurt some one bad enough that running away seems better than staying put.

17. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast