JR7-D "Budget Jenner" (4x MLas, 2x SRM2, 2x JJ, AMS, STD225)

Thread in 'JR7-D' started by Alex Heartnet, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Alex Heartnet

Alex Heartnet New Member

Original Version - Not Recommended

w/o AMS, with 5x Jump Jets

Or, y'know, you could just get an XL engine

So many layouts rely on an XL engine, which is a lot of C-Bills for the average PUG player. Ferro-Fibrous and Endo-Steel are both relatively cheap, large heat sinks are not a high priority, but swapping engines is another matter entirely. With that in mind, I worked out a setup designed around the engine that comes with the mech.

It matches everything you want in a solid Jenner Build - Lasers, heat sinks, missiles, AMS, jump jets...but without spending an entire mech's worth of C-Bills on a high-end engine. It accomplishes this by removing armor in non-critical areas.

If you lose an arm, you still have the lasers on the other arm and the torso missiles. Losing a heatsink just means more trigger discipline. But if you lose a leg, you are as good as dead, and if you lose the torso you are indeed dead.

Armor is removed accordingly. Since we are using a standard engine, the side torso doesn't need to be heavily armored. The left torso is given a bit more armor then the right, since that is where our AMS is located. The SRM 2's may lack the punch of SRM 4's, but the increased firerate makes up for that somewhat, and also means that your aim doesn't have to be as good - always a nice bonus for rookies. And if you lose an arm, that probably means that you are close to dying anyway...

Many players might think the 7 head armor is too light. I supposed in theory the cockpit area could get nailed by an AC-20 or something, but in practice I've simply never had it happen. Adding any more armor to the head would just be a complete waste. In fact, l'll have to try taking it down to 5 and see if I still have zero headshot problems.

I have been rolling around with this build for a while now, and it has proven quite effective. The one gripe I have with it is the lack of additional speed, which highlights why most builds use an XL engine in the first place. Still, this build makes for a good stopgap while you work your way up towards said XL engine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

No, JUST RUN TRIAL MECHS!

engines make or break a light mech. max engine or don't bother showing up in a PUG anyway.

Now this is harsh, but unless you are sticking 200m inside an ATLAS, you are not going to win many games, which is what you want to do in order to GET an XL engine.

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

2/5 stars for me

You are underpowered in terms of speed, armor and weaponry. The SRM2s, while doubled, are essentially an afterthought weapon. You sacrifice far too much for that STD engine. Maybe this is suitable for grinding purposes to get that XL but it has been so long since I haven't had several XLs laying around that I have forgotten what a PITA it can be to get one.

4. Azakael

Azakael Advanced Member

While I approve of the idea behind this build, it really doesn't have much of a use in the current meta. As a grind build, there is still too many C-Bills invested in it to be a "budget" build. As a 'keeper', you're doing yourself and your fellow team members a disservice by not investing more c-bills in the mech. If this is a first mech, I'd keep running trials until my cadet bonus was gone, and then splurge on the mech. If this is a much later build, I'd keep it stock, running once a day for double XP and then run the rest of my mechs to save up for the upgrade to XL.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Indeed.
    There is always at least a "champion" mech that is correctly built and optimized.

Also the XL300, even if expensive, is a really versatile engine that can be used in a lot of different mechs: cicadas, catapults, dragons,... (you can share one single engine between several mechs). A 300XL is definitely not wasted money.

6. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

While I agree with the others, I'm going to try to give you some constructive criticism as well.

SRMs are less heat efficient the smaller they are. Your 'mech will be cooler if you remove the SRM2s and replace them with the stock SRM4. This will allow you to drop a DHS and put on more armor and a JJ.

I know if feels like a slog to get to earn the cbills to get your first 'mech properly kitted out before taking it into battle. Trust me, though, it'll be worth it in saved frustration.

7. Alex Heartnet

Alex Heartnet New Member

I don't like the layout of ANY of the current trial mechs on rotation, blah. I might as well just use my own.

[quote author=epikt link=topic=3916.msg24078#msg24078 date=1380919172]
    Indeed.
    There is always at least a "champion" mech that is correctly built and optimized.

Also the XL300, even if expensive, is a really versatile engine that can be used in a lot of different mechs: cicadas, catapults, dragons,... (you can share one single engine between several mechs). A 300XL is definitely not wasted money.
    [/quote]

Noted, thanks for the advice about the XL300!

[quote author=Archwright link=topic=3916.msg24084#msg24084 date=1380921294]
    While I agree with the others, I'm going to try to give you some constructive criticism as well.

SRMs are less heat efficient the smaller they are. Your 'mech will be cooler if you remove the SRM2s and replace them with the stock SRM4. This will allow you to drop a DHS and put on more armor and a JJ.

I know if feels like a slog to get to earn the cbills to get your first 'mech properly kitted out before taking it into battle. Trust me, though, it'll be worth it in saved frustration.
    [/quote]

I have already tried everything on your suggested layout. This build is the result of dozens of matches worth of tweaks.

- My main source of heat is the four Medium Lasers, not the missiles. Even if I removed the missiles entirely I would still have overheating issues. I need both heat sinks.

- The added damage output from the SRM2's fire rate is worth the additional heat. I often do hit-and-run attacks anyway, so I can find the time to cool off.

- I could certainly use more armor around the side torso, but since I'm not using an XL engine it is not vital.

- Said armor can not come out of the legs. Even with 30 armor on both legs I am still having legs blown off, and once I lose a leg I am as good as dead. I used to lose legs all the time before I uparmored them to 30.

- Since I have never died to headshots in a Jenner, I don't see the point of having more head armor then my current amount of 7. That is armor tonnage that can go to other areas.

I much appreciate the criticism, but I'm sticking with my current setup until I get my XL300. As harsh as it might be, it's quite constructive and certainly better then only receiving positive feedback. :)

8. The Verge

I'm glad you can take our opinions on this mech. Me and A friend did a test of your build and I should have it uploaded by tomorrow.

9. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Yes, and it will be HEAVILY edited from my understanding.

10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Damn right!
    (though weapons with dispersion, like LB10X, machinegun or SRMs, can shave the little head armor and drew attention to the weak spot...)

11. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

It never occurred to me to use SRMs as a DPS weapon. I'd grown so accustom to the glacial reload time of the SRM4/6.

I'm blown away by the care you've put into this build.

12. The Verge

13. Alex Heartnet

Alex Heartnet New Member

14. The Verge

Interesting video, you really need to record a better FPS, because you lag SUPER hard while recording.

=3 GJ on the try, but even I did a better job piloting that mech at 4 in the morning.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast