JM6-S 'QF sniper' (2x AC5, 2x AC2, XL255)

Thread in 'JM6-S' started by thepartisan, Jan 9, 2014.

1. thepartisan

thepartisan New Member

I've played around with this particular build after dreading the grind for my Jagers for nearly three months. But this build by far I had the most fun with averaging about 400 damage per round. I present to you the Quickfire sniper:

This build is based on the stock build , but with the additions of XL, endo and DHS. Even with the DHS the machine is very prone to overheating, so leadfingers need to be careful. Even with the additional ammo you will nearly always run out if it has been a very long round, so you also need to pick your targets and make every shot count. Hope you have fun with this build. Any suggestions is also appreciated.

[updated for small changes in layout 2014/01 02:30:50]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Welcome to MechSpecs! :D

I suggest making your build asymmetrical, 2AC2s in one arm, 2AC5s in the other.
    The advantage is that when you lead targets at long range, your weapons will focus (converge) on the ground/wall that is several hundred meters behind the mech you want to hit. If your weapons are at the same side of the mech, the bullets will hit your enemy in roughly the same place (which is good) where as otherwise you could be missing one of your 2 shots, just because of convergence.

Also: XL255 has the same weight as an XL250. the XL250 is an obsolete engine.

For the rest it's a pretty solid build that's been around for a while, also on these forums. I almost redirected you to the rules telling you that you should look if builds have already been posted, with a link. However as it stands, the 2AC5, 2AC2 doesn't have a thread of its own until now, only mentions for example here (don't get scared by the debate :p)

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=5191.msg33434#msg33434

3. thepartisan

thepartisan New Member

Thanks for the input! I will update the changes in a while. I did see that there wasn't any particular threads for this build, so I decided to open one up. I only used a XL 250 because I already had it available. Will update it in the changes as well.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I'd personally trade a DHS (all the point of using AC/5s is you don't need additional DHS) for one ton of AC/2 ammo. And maybe the other DHS for one ton of AC/5. Those things run out fast and, well, you're 100% ammo dependant.
    With 375 + 120 rounds I usually have enough, but am still short on AC/5 (I run a similar loadout on the CTF-4X).

5. thepartisan

thepartisan New Member

I am very unsure of removing a Sink. It already has a problem with heat, and I feel that removing one will affect it even more during stints on hot maps.

6. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

That's why the 3xAC5, 1xAC2 build exists :p

This build is for deeps, the other build (Booty Shaker) is for not overheating.

7. Tr0unce

Tr0unce Active Member

If you don't run out of ammo, keep your heat sink.

When you start running out of ammo due to increased longevity, remove the heat sink.

8. thepartisan

thepartisan New Member

Agreed. Different strokes for different folks. I only had one game where I actually ran out of ammo. Coincidentally I had about 700 damage that match....

9. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Been experimenting with a variant of this build post quirk and weapon cooldown changes. Using AC2 cooldown and AC5 range/cooldown modules. Dropped the 2 extra DHS and converted them to 1 ton AC2 ammo, 0.5 ton AC5 ammo and 0.5 tons of armour (4pts each arm and leg, with the CT and torso armour moved more to the front).

Additional Structure L/R Torso7
    AC/2 Cooldown15%
    Ballistic Weapon Cooldown7.5%
    Ballistic Weapon Range10%
    AC/5 Velocity15%
    Ballistic Weapon Velocity7.5%

AC2's: 27.5% (15%+12.5%) cooldown, 10% range and 7.5% velocity
    AC5's: 20% (7.5%+12.5%) cooldown, 20% (10%+10%) range and 15% velocity

Decent results so far but synching the AC2 and AC5 is a challenge if you go full auto!

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast