JM6-S "Burn and Turn" (4x LLas, 4x MG, XL300)

Thread in 'JM6-S' started by Lan, May 14, 2013.

1. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Hi all, first build post though I have been lurking around for a while. I will post some more soon but as I read through the upcoming changes on the 21st with the machinegun boost to 0.8 DPS I had to do something with it.

This is very similar to Tyler Durdens "Lasermeister" but given the MG change I believe it deserves a new thread.

Playstyle would be medium mech skirmisher, it can go toe to toe with other heavies but the XL engine makes hit and run (or burn and turn) more suitable. It is not a good idea to engage on steep hills given the torso lasers. The MG's will generate crits and 3.2 DPS in close combats.

Select your target with care, dart into the brawl, strip armor and do the crit kill. Then runaway to fight another mech (day). In under four seconds, this 75kph mech can do 72 damage by two alphas and plink some MG rounds for an additional 6 (12 after 21st of May) damage with high crits.

I did look at a version with two ERLL and two normal LL but decided against it. This mech has closing power with a 300XL.

Ps: The 28 armor pts can be replaced by tossing out 1 DHS but I believe the leg tradeoff (-14 pts per leg down to 46 total) is worth the extra cooling.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

That is a LOT of MG ammo!

Still, nice to see someone doing something with the MG; it is a weapon I have rarely seen on the battlefield lately.

3. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

I have not used it in MWO yet so I have no idea how fast I will burn through it. If I drop 1 ton I might look at AMS but the mech is already fully hardpoint loaded with only 1 slot free (before possibly dropping that ton).

Guess it'll come in play and become apparent. :)

4. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

When messing around with my JM-DD and JM-A I totally disliked those MGs and never tried it again on my JM-S.
    After reading this thread and beeing bored by those standard dual-gauss or dual ac20 builds, I gave it a try again....and to be honest: it's super fun!
    In fact I'm a bit ashamed, I didn't try this while constantly tweaking all my mechs because of the current (at least for me frustrating) meta.....guess MG perfomance totally scared me. So here is how i run it now (Endosteel, max. Armor, AMS):

Basically this variant is like the typical 4 LL Catapult/Phract/whatever with a constant and annoying 4MG-rain on your opponent. This seems pretty trollish, but in fact synergizes pretty well with LLs.
    You can easily rip down the armor of a particular section with up to 4 x 4LL alphas and let your MGs + chainfire LLs finish the job in close range.
    Combined with the speed of that 300xl and the turning anchor of a Jager this makes a versatile and deadly Jagermech in my opinion. Of course you have to be very sure to engage close combat due to the XL and low armor. But i feel like there is no big difference these days in having a STD or XL engine and getting cored by 4 PPCs from somewhere anyway while speed saves you in close combat situations.

Had a lot of fun today, might be even more when MGs get buffed^_^

(sry for my english :blush: )

5. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Hi Schnaetz, welcome to the forums (says the lurker). :)

Happy you found the mech useful, remember the MG's don't have the full damage they will until after the 21st of May. If that change does make it into the patch mind you. I am just about to launch and try the mech myself but real happy to hear it worked out for you. :)

6. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

I know about MGs not having full dmg, so in fact this build will become even more enjoyable..
    I'm around here for 2-3 months checking out builds but never had the inner need to post anything.....perhaps the frustration these days combined with the unexpected fun i had in this mechvariant made me do it :tongue:

P.S.: How do i include a smurfy link like you did?

7. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

And second match I run, I see Mason Grimm on the other side. :)

I find that the MG's is the real challenge, it's tough to get inside that 90m optimum range. Sneak or brawl. Will see if I can't shoot a movie once I am accustomed.

8. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

I try to stay with mediums, most of the time I can enter a brawl after they started it and I already fired some LL-alphas from behind. This way i dont get focussed that often, because enemies are already occupied :)

P.S.: more armor would help alot though

9. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Tried to put in a STD, ended in this variant with 3 less DHS:

Can't test it yet, due to my lack of C-Bills :-/

10. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Tweaked the XL-variant:
    • reduced machine gun ammo....2000 was enough in all of my games
    • removed ams....has not been that usefull so far, perhaps this will change after the 21th too
    • 315XL, +1DHS and no tons left

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  11. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

I did the same, dropped to 1 ton ammo after my tenth game and didn't regret it one bit. One more DHS, max armor again. I stuck with the Ferro though, it does help when you inevitably get attention. I will update OP later when not on iPad.

My experiences last night was mixed. The mech performed the role well but I am forced to rethink my game tactics a bit (very useful), this particular role is not something I have played in MWO yet. I am a masters assault and light, working on my cats at the moment so I have nothing to draw on. The best use I have had yesterday is assault/heavy backup. Second man through the door (which is a FPS term but applicable) to aggressively support and overwhelm. Once the brawl is started, go split the attention of the victim by flanking off to one side or back of the mech.

It did not do so well 1vs1 on lights, killed them but payed heavy for it. Considering going 2/1 front and back on armor.

Had one seriously fun round on Frozen City night where I actually got two kills by MG, another with lasers and nearly a fourth (drop buddy in a Highlander nabbed him longrange). Overall, it's fun but not really efficient yet until the 21st. The 90m effective range is a problem in most maps (open areas).

Have to add that one of my dropmates was laughing his head off seeing the amount of sparkles on the enemy mechs, easier to target them!

12. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Mmm....might consider to switch endo for ferro too. Got so much used to take endo first, but this mech needs every armor it can get. Unfortunatly I sold my 300xl to get the 315xl :unsure: .
    I had similar experiences with brawling / flanking and really liked the agressive and agile playstyle. Good light pilots are a problem, if you can't get of some hits with your lasers before they get close and behind you. Thanks to MG's, i had a lot of fun targeting the legs of assaults and completly own them....easy to target with your lasers even from some distance, armor is gone pretty fast.

13. Dwergi

Dwergi Well-Known Member

You don't get more armor with Ferro. In fact, you get more armor with Endo, because you get more tonnage that you can devote to armor.

There's literally no advantage to Ferro over Endo, ever. Anyone who told you there was is wrong.

14. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

More armor tonnage with Endo yes but Ferro provides 12% better protection per existing armor ton, accordingly to the description of FF. If armor tonnage is already maxed, FF should give you more protection accordingly to that.

Or is there proof otherwise?

I already know Endo gives you more free tons overall then Ferro, I run Endo on most mechs for that reason. But on this mech, I don't need the extra tons that endo gives, FF is enough and with the 12% the better choice.

15. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Ok, missleading or cryptic discription in the mechlab then. I already wondered why max. armor does not increase when using Ferro. Fortunatly I never installed it on one of my mechs, did some research when I started playing MWO and had a "Endo >> Ferro" thought back in my head and never really used anything but Endo since then (lazy, lucky me :cool:).

@Lan: If you turn Ferro on/of there is no increase/decrease of your current or max. armor, at least at smurfy...can't check this in the mechlab atm, but pretty sure it's the same

16. Warchanter

Warchanter Well-Known Member

The weight per ton goes down, that's it. It doesn't mean you can fit more total tons of armor than the max for that mech OR that the armor is stronger in any way... it just means that your 'X' amount of points of armor weighs less if it's ferro.

ex: On a Hunchback normally I will run with 320 points of armor. With nothing else loaded onto the mech (non-endo), that leaves me with 35 free tons. If it's ferro, it leaves me with 36.07 free tons.

17. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

I get that, just saying the description in the mechlab of 12% more protection per ton is misleading. :sad:

18. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Hmm. I always assumed it was another bug not reflecting the true armor value. That FF was a better and stronger type of armor per ton. I knew about the crit space of course but still...it was the only sane way to explain the point of taking FF over endo.

I stand corrected and surprised.

19. Warchanter

Warchanter Well-Known Member

Yeah, they might be more accurate in saying you get 12% more points of armor/ton... the example hunchback I noted would, for instance, have 288 points of armor if you allocated 9 tons of armor to it. The same 9 tons of ferro gives you (roughly) 323 points. The 35 points of difference is (again roughly) 12% of 288... or 35.84 pts/ton vs. the normal 32 pts/ton (again a 12% difference)...

It is almost never worth trading the criticals for the weight savings, especially vs. endo which will allow the same armor boost AND still give you more free weight left to use...

20. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Games today were pretty frustrating...getting into Mg-range and not beeing focussed didnt work at all. Felt like i had a big red sign on my head that says "focus me first". The low armor and easy to target side torsos sometimes feel like dancing on a razorblade and require a lot of concentration :wacko:.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast