Jenner's Role in PUG

Thread in 'Jenner' started by Fleanutbutter, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Fleanutbutter

Fleanutbutter Benefactor

I'm pretty new to the game (6 wks) and after mastering Jaegers, Victors, and Cents I decided to try light mechs.

I picked Jenners because of speed and looking like a turd-with-legs. I've gotten 2 of 3 through basic efficiencies but don't feel like I'm playing them right.

I have two kinds of games:

1. Sub-100 damage where I die in the first 3 minutes. This usually happens when I try to do what I think light mechs are supposed to do - scout out the enemy, target for missles, harrass missle boats, etc. I tend to get spotted and focused on which is death for a light mech. Even when I try to escape I'll end up with waves of lrms pounding me or 2-3 lights hunting me down.

2. 3-400 dmg and survive to end of match. This usually happens when I hang back and wait for a melee to develop and then move through it at high speed popping legs and backs or anything else that presents itself as I madly try and avoid running into anything and slowing down. I recently had a 6 kill, 4 assist game with 300 dmg. Maybe it was kill-stealing but most of what I was hitting wasn't even targetted, if I saw an enemy I put 6 spls in it while running past and then weaved back into the bldgs.

I want to be able to play this mech "right" but what my head tells me is right is resulting in very little contibution to the team and isn't very fun (game type 1). Game type 2 is more fun and has better stats but I am sure I'd do more damage in my Jaeger or Victor so...

I've watched a bunch of Jenner videos (Mack's is hilarious - think young Ozzie, a little less drunk). I think I've gotten some ideas from the videos that I'm trying to incorporate into my game as my skills increase.

Any other advice for playing the Jenner better?

2. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Hey Fleanutbutter, welcome to the game.

I personally love Jenners --- they are a great light, with some really nice damage potential. That said, like all lights, they are difficult to run alone. PUG dropping in a light can be very difficult, as you have no guarantee that friendly lights will follow you (or wait for you) or watch your back in a tight spot. But when a few friends get together on a VOIP like Teamspeak 3, and drop what is called a "wolf pack" (4 lights all coordinating fire together) they can be EXTREMELY successful. Teamwork is obviously OP; but with lights, it is pretty much necessary in most situations.

Of course, if you don't care to join groups on TS, and you simply want to PUG drop, that's fine, as you can still make your Jenner work for you. But in order to have success as a Light PUG, you really have to play conservatively --- that is, you can't rush forward on your own and try to run through their entire team, spotting for LRMs and what-have-you. A "Gauntlet" tactic such as this will usually get you killed in seconds, especially in a Jenner, which lacks the ECM that other Lights have. As you noticed in what you call your "game type 1", this tactic simply doesn't work, and it doesn't really help one's team either, as it simply puts them one man down early on.

In my opinion, your "game type 2" is actually quite accurate so far as Light piloting goes when doing PUG matches. Since you are virtually on your own, in a Light, you have to hold back and wait for your team to engage. Once they do, then you can rush in and start supporting them, mainly by focusing on the weaker targets, or on LRM boats standing outside the circle of the brawl. In essence, your role in such situations is to make a pest of yourself, which is what Lights really do best. Pop out, put a few alphas into their rear CTs (a really sweet target for Lights), thus distracting them for your friendlies; also, if they have snipers or LRM boats standing alone outside the lines, run up behind them and take them down, or at least distract them so that they can't help their team. And when the enemy players start to notice you, and even to fire on you, that's when you hop back behind friendly lines and let your heat cool off. Wait a few seconds as they enemy again starts focusing on your heavier friends, and then hop back into the fray once more to resume the same hit-and-run tactics.

I think THE major point to keep in mind when PUG dropping in a Light is to keep moving. Obviously this is good advice for Lights at any time, but I really don't think it can be stressed enough when PUGGING. If you stop, you will quickly be targeted; and since you have relatively low armor, you will likely die fairly quickly too. So don't slow your roll if you can help it; keep moving, keep swerving, (never run in a straight line if you can help it), and in general, stay safe. The best way you can help your team is by distracting and pestering the enemy, and the best way for you to do that, is to stay alive and mobile.

Here's a screenshot from one of my random PUG drops in a Jenner. Using the same tactics I've just described, I made several passes through the enemy lines, distracting them, and even dropping Arty Strikes in their faces, forcing them to pause and reconsider their push. In the end, my team fell apart. Even so, considering it was a mere PUG drop, I was satisfied with my score.
    [​IMG]

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

(Falconium posted when I was typing, I agree with his post and mine will cover points he obviously already has, but I don't want to waste all that digital ink, do I?)

Can't say much about if you do it right or not without actually seeing you play, but here's my two cents.

Not all light mechs are intended to be scouts, and most of the time the jenner is not. It's more of a flanker/skirmisher/finisher, and I'd say you mostly got it right on the game type 2.
    (especially in PUG play)

Don't hang back on the beginning of the game though, do some "close scouting" by moving a little ahead of your team. Better you run into the enemy than your pack of assaults, since you're fast and will be able to retreat quickly. But be cautious and stay close to your team.
    If you encounter an enemy light mech, don't chase. Don't try to take it solo either. On the contrary, try to lure it into your pack.
    If you encounter a medium fast streaker "light hunter" [insert any extremely offensive profanity here], well, now you know why you need to stay close to your pack and be able to quickly retreat.
    I can't place enough emphasis on this point, when piloting a light mech the most important is to always think of an escape route when you make a move. Ideally you won't need it because you are careful and have good situation awareness, but just in case. ;)

If you see the situation is blocked (long range sniper/poptart battle is the worst) don't take any chance and retreat. Do a little scouting on the flanks. It can get frustrating sometimes, but you're more useful waiting than dead. Eventually the packs will lose cohesion and you will be able to join the fight.

Also, don't mind about "stealing" kills. When a cored mech retreated into its lines and hides from snipers, you're the one able to take it down the quickest and with the less damage taken. It's your job.
    Might sound a little scavengerish, but spam the "R" key and circle around the targets to locate a weak one (the "target info gathering" module is great for that).
    Also, look for isolated targets (snipers or LRM boat mosty). Most of the time you can easily dipose of them on you own (or at least really annoy them). Keep an eye on their teammates though, there's absolutely no shame on running away if they come on rescue. You will come back later ^^

300 dmg is indeed not that great, but still OK. And don't worry about it, damage dealt will increase with experience, first focus on not doing stupid moves.
    Maybe try a 6 MLas build that gives you better range than 6 SPLas, you'll be able to do so mid range pock-shots and overall you might feel you're more useful to the team in "blocked" situations (don't get me wrong, 6 SPLas is my favourite mech ever, but it's kinda situational).

Quick word about light vs light duels: avoid duels as much as possible. Even if you win you'd be seriously damage at the end. Always fight where you have the advantage and most of the time it's where your teammates are.
    If really you can't do otherwise, aim at the legs.

Must have forgotten a lot, but...

Self promotion time now, check this guide I wrote: The Leg: Your Favorite Target.
    I also made two jenner videos, the first with 6 MLas (with loads of "OMG retreat" tactics in it), second with 6 SPLas (fast game with good old school brawl). Those are not exceptional games (only good average games) but in my opinion cover lots of points I made on this post.
    There's also this other guide I can think of. And this impressive video of a 1500+ game on a jenner.

4. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

You can run a Jenner in a scout role but it's so much better as light hunter or skirmisher. That damage output is great for a light!

Oh, ever wondered how two whole teams fight with all Jenners? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  5. Fleanutbutter

Fleanutbutter Benefactor

Thanks for the input Gentlemen.

I have seen most of those videos before but it was good to review them again. I haven't had a chance to watch the 1400+ one though, so I'll check it out tonight.

To clarify on builds - I'm using Grimm's Streaker on my Oxide (XL300 version), Easy Mode on my F (XL300 version), and a 4ML 2SRM4 (or 6) build (I forget the name) on my D (XL280). I wanted to go with proven builds to take that variable out and focus on my skills or lack thereof.

When I compare how I've been playing with what you wrote and the videos there are a bunch of areas for improvement. I think I'll focus on better movement for now and see if that helps.

When I am making a run on a mech, I tend to come in close to take a shot and then turn away to evade return fire. I instictively try to put distance between myself and the mech which is probably a bad instinct. I should probably take a shot and then come in past his guns and try to egress out the backside away from where he's turning. Moving away immediately makes it easier for him to get his slow torso lined up on me (smaller angle to traverse). It seems counter-intuitive but coming in close and moving to the side away from the torso swing seems to work in the videos.

I also need to have two egress routes in mind. Often I am scrambling because I don't have a great plan for how to get away. Maybe the plan won't work but it's still more likely than no plan. It also helps (I realized last night) to use the mini-map to see what direction the mech is facing so I know if I'm likely to be seen on the way in.

I'll work on those two areas for a while and see if I can improve. Hopefully by the time I have Jenners Mastered I'll be a little more proficient. Practice only works if you're practicing the right things though.

Thanks,

Flea

6. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Here's a video I finally got around to publishing on Youtube. It matches the Screenshot I posted further up in my previous reply.

For a PUG drop, I was fairly well satisfied with my performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014