HBK-IIC-B "Cataback" (4x cLRM10+A, 2x cERML, cAMS, cXL200)

Thread in 'HBK-IIC-B' started by Tarriss Halcyon, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Tarriss Halcyon

Tarriss Halcyon Active Member

This mech has an interesting background. It was born when Ronan Windrein and I were tinkering around in the mechlabs with his recent additions, the Hunchback IICs. It originally was viewed as a joke.

"What kind of fool mounts SRMs on a mech with such low armor? It would do a lot better with LRMs. . . Wait a second..."

As it had happened, I'd been working with a pilot using an LRM Griffin earlier that day, so the tactical value of a medium mech with lots of LRM tubes was not lost on me. While initial tests lacked Artemis, the rapid locktimes and tight spread meant that each salvo was more likely to rip apart targets. The nickname Cataback was based off a comment made by one of us.

This mech setup is not for front line combat, like a Catapult. However, as part of a coordinated team, it would be more than capable of punching holes into heavy and assault mechs. Yes, Stormcrow can also do this in a faster mech. But, Stormcrow is also viable in many other roles because Omni.

Fire group suggestions (for all variations of this build)

1: 2x ALRM10 (Right)
    2: 2x ALRM10 (Left)
    3: Lasers

Since we worked together on the original, Ronan and I have created different variations. Thanks to him for permission to share our shared ideas with the world.

Ronan's build, the Cataback Mk II

My setup for CW, the Cataback DFS (Designated Fire Support)

(EDIT: Wrong link on the DFS, fixed)

2. enileph

enileph Star Lord

My version, LRM10 can get away without +A.

3. Tarriss Halcyon

Tarriss Halcyon Active Member

Mm... Larger engine and better cooling is nice. Ammunition load is also very nice, all things considered. But, at the same time, this mech doesn't seem to run drastically hot if you have a bit of control over your fire. I don't mind lacking Artemis (most of my LRM carriers don't run it), but at the same time, the faster lock time combining it with the cAP is wonderful, especially on the DFS. It comes down to personal taste there, I think. Yes, it's a little bit of a waste of space, but the mod is done now, and I'm so broke I couldn't look at undoing it any time soon. (stupid c-bill sales. . .)

4. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Smurfy Repair Team Report: Clerical Error Fixed, Weapon and Engine type added to Title, no further action required.

5. enileph

enileph Star Lord

I would strongly suggest cAP, huge improvement and it is removable equipment. If you don't need extra cooling you can upgrade the laser to ERLL + Tag.