HBK-4SP Baller (2x SRM6+A, 4x MLas, STD250)
5/5,

3 ratings

Thread in 'HBK-4SP' started by Aware, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I think TAG in the Head Energy Slot is a great idea, think my SP needs some adjusting!

Thanks,

Mythweaver

2. XTremWarrior

XTremWarrior New Member

I'm also riding a nearly identical 4SP, but i lowered the engine to STD245, which gives me 1.5 tons for another DHS and a small laser in my head.
    This medium mech is really great, being fast and hitting hard when u land some double SRM6 salvo in anyone torso, while its small size make u go unnoticed if u use cover. Quite affordable too, and that's a BIG pro!

3. Aware

Aware Active Member

Updated with the new smurfy page. I have also adjusted it to show the Alt build as that is what I run standard.

4. SmoothRider

SmoothRider New Member

Im really enjoying your build. + from me and ty

5. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

I went this route with it. Love this build, especially when I've got buildings... or an Atlas to duck in and around.

Murry

My first post, so hopefully this works.

6. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I love this build!!! But I run it with one less DHS and 1 more ton of SRM ammo. I find that 16.6 shots just ain't enough!!!

I like 25 shots! Especially with 12v12 coming out soon. I needz me more ammoz!

5/5 from moi!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  7. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

my current build, with the new engine size.

8. crazyjose85

crazyjose85 New Member

You have 20 unused slots, you could add ferro armor 1 heatsink and tick up the legs 1 armor each. Not much but an extra heatsink is always worth some good.

The Verge likes this.
  9. RAMJB

RAMJB Active Member

Hi. I'm generally new to this game but I've learned a lot from reading this page's builds. So after learning a bit, I want to share one of my builds here.

Here it is:

Ok, let's share what's behind this build. It's essentially based on the artemis+SRM6 build of the 4SP. Nothing new from that side. 2xartemis SRM6s and 4xarm mounted MLs is nothing new, after all. Nor it is to use the STD275 to make the mech as fast as possible.

The little variation here is the addition of two things that you normally don't see in a brawler (and the 4SP's best use is without doubt as a brawler): AMS and TAG.

Now the idea behind this build is because I've found myself time after time and again in pretty big maps (alpine anyone?) with SRMs that have no use for most of the match, and with medium lasers that don't really fare very well vs the opposing PPCs, clan ERLLs, and all that stuff. In that kind of engagement you either go berserk (and you die), you try to do the pop-and-fire game (and you die), or you're reduced to a waiting game until the enemy is close enough for you to rush forward and use your short range weaponry. And usually at this stage the game is already decided for either your or your enemy's side. You're essentially a non-factor.

And that sucks.

So, we're stuck with short range weaponry that we can't use until the lategame. What can we do in the meantime?. Wait. Or maybe do something else. AMS is there so you can stick close to your big buddies and offer them some degree of defense against the LRM spam that's pretty much the standard in mid or long ranged maps. So you help them survive. At the same time you have a 750m range TAG that you can use to paint enemies (be careful here, you don't want to paint that guy who's carefully aiming that gauss cannon at you. Paint already busy guys, or guys who are oblivious you're painting them) so your own team's LRMs have a better chance at weakening the enemy. Also the TAG is in your head: perfect for over-the-hill targetting and peeking. Hopefully between both you can indeed influence the battle a little bit before it comes down to the ranges where your weaponry is effective. You're no longer a non-factor. You're actually helping your team. And in some cases that help, both defensive and offensive, is the deciding factor in turning the tables to your team's favor early on. At the bare minimum at least you're doing something useful and not just sitting back waiting for the proper moment to hit the gas and head for the close-in fight.

Strategy to follow is easy: start of the game, bunch up with the team. Then move forward with them, not straying too far. Pop some corners or hills to take a peek and act as a frontline scout (be always ready to go back into hiding as soon as you pop up), but never stray far from your big guys. When the inevitable rain of missiles start, stay close to them so your AMS helps defending them. TAG everything that moves. And when finally the ranges are close enough to do so, kick the accelerator to the top and brutalize enemies with your SRM6s and medium lasers with a very respectable speed (almost 100kph with speed unlocks)

Armor setup is pretty strong. You're only missing some in your legs but noone in his senses targets a hunchie's legs anyway. the rest is topped. I put an extremely heavy bias towards front armor in my builds. If someone is shooting you from behind, your least problem is how you set up your armor anyway, and by smart driving (and constant torso twisting to spread the damage) and that front armor this thing stands such a brutal beating it's at times hard to believe the situations it can extricate itself out from.

Your main weapon when you're assaulting someone is your SRMs. They really are devastating. Be careful with your medium guns, this build cools down pretty well but the cap is not that high and the SRM firing will heat you enough that if you start spamming the lasers on top of the SRMs, you're going to overheat. And that's bad. Really bad. In fact I'd tell you to use lasers only when the enemy armor is down, to fasten their demise, or when your firepower is down (be it because of missile ammo out, or because one of the side torsos is gone).
    I tend to use the SRMs in sequence firing, that way if you miss your first volley you have a follow up immediately ready. It also help to keep some harassing fire up if you're high on temperature and you don't have the time to cool down.

This build can't fight back when zombie, but still has some usability as such. The TAG in your head can become a priceless treasure at the end of a very close game, as it can really accomplish a lot more than a poor little lonely medium laser (and from a much longer range too) will, as long as there are survivor teammates with LRMs left in their inventories.

BTW that little TAG gives A LOT in the way of credits and XP, and it also does it at stages of the battle where you'd have no other role than sit back and wait for the ranges to go down. You can slap another medium laser there if you want, but seriously, that laser will do nothing but overheat you (your main weapon is the SRMs, remember?) and you'll be losing a lot of xp and c-bills you'd be getting otherwise with it.

Variations:
    There's only one viable one while respecting the concept, which demands for TAG and AMS: you can downgrade the engine to a STD265 and still get a more than respectable speed, and add another ton of SRM ammo, which arguably is the weakest point of the baseline build. Not for me (I usually find that 150 missiles give me more than enough punch, after they're gone, it's either mopup time or time to be mopped, and for those stages the MLs are more than enough anyhow), but if anyone feels uneasy with only 150 rounds, it's the way to go.

you could theoretically go even to a lower class engine and strip some armor off to get a BAP aswell if you really, really, really, want it. But I feel that the end result is not worth it. This mech's survability and viability when in the offense is based on a mix of speed and armor and if you give that up, you're gonna pay for it.

Well, hope you liked it. Let's see what the experts around think :).

10. Azakael

Azakael Advanced Member

I've been running something quite similar to this build. It's actually worked out fairly well for me. As long as I don't present myself as a high-threat target, I do fine. (I.E. I keep the big nasty assaults near me. :D)

11. Postumus

Postumus New Member

Just like the OP's build, sacrifices a little bit of heat efficiency while gaining a bunch of speed and an extra ton of ammo. IMO, speed is what makes medium brawlers like this survivable, because it lets them disengage easily. You can always cool your mech down, but you can't regrow armor, and this isn't the mech to be going toe to toe in anyways.

12. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

This is what I did in expectation of the new 4SP quirks. I used double SRM4 and a STD 275 before, but as the 4SP will get SRM6 quirks there was quite some work to do.

Artemis isn't needed on the SRM6s, but makes life a lot easier. The downside of this is that doing 2x LRM10 will be much harder to do when in the mood for it. Well... trade ofs.

I wanted the 5th MLas and also ran out on ammo with 2 tons for double 4s on several occasions. As additional cooling was a given, I looked for an engine fitting those needs - and found the STD 245, which weighs a whopping 1.5 tons less than the STD 250. Gotcha!

13. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

What modules were you think about for that fit Aylek? Its a 2/2/2 so presumably radar, seismic or shock comp and 3 weapons?

SRM 6 range and cooldown then ml cooldown as its at least got heat reduction for the lasers?

14. Aylek

Tested it for some rounds and used

-> Seismic, Radar & Info gathering
    -> Cool Shot + Artillery Strike
    -> SRM6 range + Medium Laser Range

I think I don't like SRM6 cooldown on this one as I was low on ammo in more than one game again.

The speed gained by the STD245 is very sufficient, but the loss in agility was noticable.

15. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Don't forget the 250 engine includes an extra free double heat sink so if you drop an external heat sink and half a ton of armour off the legs (or your preference) you get the benefit of the internal engine dhs and the slightly better agility.

Alternatively you can also drop that head medium laser and a mech module for the 260 engine and a medium laser cooldown module.

Maintains most of your firepower and increases speed / agility.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  16. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

With the new quirks this old girl gets a lease of life -20% SRM6 cooldown, +20% SRM6 range, -20% Medium Laser Duration/Heat Gen, +9 armour RT/LT, +12 structure RT/LT. Tempted to keep things unchanged and let the laser heat gen reduction counter the extra heat from the srm's as you really can snap fire the medium lasers as well now with a -20% duration. Bye bye lights...

17. Aylek

Exactly my line of thinking. That MLas heat reduction is especially nice when you want to use that head hardpoint. The quirks allow me to go for this build, having a much better agility (and speed obv.) than the one carrying the STD 245, has a lot of ammo and uses the Zombie laser.

Remarius likes this.
  18. Aylek

5/5,
    4 or 5 Mlas, Artemis or not - the principle remains, and it's a very strong loadout - if not the best - for the 4SP. Will be even better with the upcoming quirk pass Nov 4th 2014.

19. ColonelColt

ColonelColt New Member

5/5,
    Best build.

20. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

5/5,
    The best 4SP build. Period. I've used this before the quirks and it was deadly then . Now? This thing is probably a double breasted death dealing bad ass killing machine.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast