HBK-4G "Boom Shock" (1x AC20, 3x MLas, 2x MGs, STD225)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'HBK-4G' started by Blagg Zear, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Its not fast, but it punches very hard. BURN... KABOOM.. and CRIT!

Alternate "Ammo+" Version:

Weapon Groups:
    1. AC20 (Main Punch)
    2. MLas (Defense/Backup)
    3. MGs (Defense vs Lights)

tesruns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blagg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

nice build, I think this could go a bit faster, but that's about it. 5-5 stars.

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I bought a HBK-4G today to try a similar build (without the head laser, but more ammo).
    It's great, AC/20 feels always so good. Can't wait to unlock the speed tweak though, this thing is too damned slow.

4. dog_funtom

dog_funtom Well-Known Member

My version:

i=1&l=6c4a62725d5eff80a4c16018da98a322f6bdbfc6

• MPLas in head helps you to be more powerful when zombie.
    • Less ammo. Well, this is very questionable decision. I rarely spend it completely even without intentionally saving. But with more ammo I can allow myself to do even mostly wasteful shots which leads to more damage. Except when you forced to brawl early and die in ammo explosion hell, which is not very surprising in PUG.
    • CASE allow you to stay alive and manage to bring some pain when left leg is destroyed. Especially when you still have your right torso and few shells of AC/20, which happens. Usually people say that without leg you are almost dead, but it's not this build case, because it is slow as hell anyway.
    • Right leg has no ammo that threatens your precious hunch. Machine gun and AMS ammo went to left torso, but their ammo explosion damage is negligible.
    • One more heatsinks. This is not for compensate change from MLas to MPlas in head. There is usually no need to use head laser actively, better torso twist while AC/20 and MLas are reloading. This is just to be more heat efficient which makes you king of long duels and hot maps. With this playstyle actual heat efficiency is 58% (yeah, and firepower is lower correspondingly (30.2), but your primary weapon is AC/20 anyway).
    • Less armor in arms. I know, you can torso twist and stuff, but I carefully adjusted armor quantity playing dozens of matches to such value that each arm will be survive until corresponding side torso destruction more than 9 times of 10.
    • Less armor in head and legs. And again, they survive until center torso destruction more than 9 times of 10.
    • Less back armor and more front. I adjusted it until it should be a little less possible to get internal torso damage from back damage than from front.

5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Interesting thoughts, but i don't think that you speak out from practical experience but from theory-crafting. ;)

if you go Zombie you are most times as good as dead. MLas or MPLas doesnt make the big difference. One has slightly more Damage, but less Range and produces more Heat.

I often run the "1x AC20 + 1x Head.MLas" Build as Fun.Build with 42 (!) AC20.Bullets and still i often run dry on Ammo. 21 Bullets are very little for 12v12 unless you play very defensively. About Ammo.Explosion: Usually i can shoot first two rounds from CT away before getting severe damage. Ok there are some matches where you can get Ganked by several enemies early, but then you would be dead anyways, Ammo here or there. Besides I almost never get legged, so Ammo in Legs are usually safe.

Almost never get legged. Maybe 5 of 100 Games. And You? I usually have C.A.S.E if I don't have space in my Head, CT or Legs anymore but still need the Sidetorso to put some Ammo in (e.g. the CTF-4X)

I think it is safer to have Ammo in Legs @ 30+ Armor, than having 20-25 on Arms/Legs and 4 at Head IMO. The Hunchback loses the Hunch plus right Arms very fast, so it would be wiser to max armor on those parts. Headshots are rarely happening, but i experienced it sometimes, so 4 at Head and you are often dead. (ow it rhymes! :rofl:)

If you want to deal more than 500 Damagescore each game, you need at least 28 Bullets (some Bullets will miss the targets anyways or deal less Damage due to limited optimum Range). Even with 42 Bullets I never succeeded to break 1K though going empty and fighting till the bitter end with MLas. If you are not aiming for high Damagescores, you can play with 21 Bullets and try to get high Kill-Scores via Kill-Steals :rolleyes:

6. dog_funtom

Maybe this is a bit odd, but I actually played a few tens of matches with build almost identical to yours and then with my modification, and I manage to deal more damage. Clearly this is not because I do more than you do, but because I do even less with your build than with my despite of your build have higher potential.

Maybe I biased my experience but I think with MPlas I notably oftener manage to take at least arm of my enemy before he finish off me which provide me component destruction c-bills.
    Range is not very important because I usually go zombie in very close to enemy, despite of when it happens (early, in middle of battle or when nearly defeat by kills; when you nearly win, you can just relax or maybe still threaten some arms :D; other cases is rare).
    Even when I'm using MPLas in middle of battle, range is ok, because this is pretty short-ranged mech anyway.
    Heat is not bad is both cases too, because compensated by heatsink when normal and unimportant when zombie. Actually I save MPLas only on half of maps. Those half when others shutdown rapidly sending some map-hate messages in chat, and I just tear them with AC/20 and little bit heat discipline.

Or too aggressive. I just can't spend it all because I almost always am destroyed before. Maybe not very wise but this is habit from my other mechs and from posts about avoiding timidity which changed my MWO-life completely. (I know, one should not follow this recommendations blindly, but it's easier to not having completely different tactics on different mechs for me).

I got legged rarely too and that's why I reduced armor on legs (and now I have a bit more variety of deaths :rolleyes:). But those hunch... In my experience enemies shoot at hunch so good that somehow ignore right arm (even under-armored), unless when I provide them left arm to shoot.

TL;DR: I see your point. I will follow your suggestions and get my build closer to your build when I'll manage to differ my brawl aggression when switching from mech to mech.

P.S.: how you manage to not die before ammo spent?

7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

That's good. It's not that i believe that your version doesnt work, in contrary i would say, you can have more sustained Shots if only shooting with AC20 + Arm.Lasers instead AC20 + Triple.Lasers. Runs cooler indeed!

Ok, with Heatmanagement it shouldn't be a problem. That's true.

Well, it's not wrong to play aggressively with the Hunchback. You just need to keep a distance at 200+m to avoid too much Damage.Hits from Counterfire.

Reducing the Leg.Armor is ok, but Arms so low really hurts me. Maybe it would be reasonable to completely drop the MGs, to have more Armor + AC20.Bullets.

I simply keep safe distance and fire from secondline = have my mates covering me. I never solo a lot with the Hunchys. Always having one or two Heavies going in front of me.

Ow, besides, i played again my Fun.Build with 42 Bullets. Makes so much fun to empty my Ammo completely :rofl:

[​IMG]

8. boods

boods Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  9. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Please do not re-post old builds. Thank you.

10. boods

boods Active Member

I did a search for "Helmstif" and didn't find anything, nor did any of the "HBK-4G AC20" results show up with identical builds. Not sure why these are "old".

11. dog_funtom

Just look at Boom Shock

12. boods

boods Active Member

I see. Thanks. Almost identical except for armor and ammo. I wonder if Blagg Zear is Helmstif?

13. Helmstif

Helmstif New Member

No, there's only one Helmstif ;)

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Sometimes Helmstif pretends to be me and sometimes i pretend to be him.. :p But seriously - no we are two different guys. Only having similar thoughts sometimes. And the truth is, i took Helmstif's Build and added the 2MGs*. Some would say, it's wasted tonnage and better go for more Speed, but i like additional Critdamage for the second half of the match, where everybody is running around with stripped Armor. And 80+ kph (with Speed Tweak) is still ok for a secondline Firesupporter.

*that was a lie. In fact i took the BFG Striker build. :D

15. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Just bought the 4G because of the upcoming quirk changes. Already forgot how painful an unleveled mech with a small STD (225) can be. :)

16. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Scary thing is I went back to check my build and thought ... did I really fight with THAT?!?!??!?!?

STD 200, AC20 +3 tons ammo, 3 ML, 2 MG + 1 ton ammo, 1 AMS + 1 ton ammo.

Right.....

17. enileph

enileph Star Lord

5/5,
    Bumping up the classic builds.
    Good use of the extra ballistics in this variant.
    Then again, with the specialized quirks, the extras may not be needed afterall.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast