FS9-H "The Standard" (6x MLas, 2x MG, 3x JJ, XL295)
5/5,

2 ratings

Thread in 'FS9-H' started by Blagg Zear, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

well, not much to say about it. The most logical build for this variant. :rolleyes:

Weapongroups:
    1. MLas (Torso)
    2. MLas (Arms)
    3. MGs (Critseeker)
    4. MLas (Chainfire)

Alternate "TAG" Version:

Blagg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Looks brutal as hell.

3. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Yup. Can't wait. I've lost arms a couple times in my Ember, but, the ability to mount 4xMLas on articulating arms is just too good. Jenners be damned! This loadout will be devastating! :D

4. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

That

vs

This just isn't even fair.

5. greenbeard

greenbeard Active Member

It's highly effective thusfar. I'm still in the process of leveling his skills, but even at this level it's quite fun.

6. Thibideau Osis

Thibideau Osis Star Lord

Hail,

Great build, more fun than a barrel of monkeys :D

Seyla,

7. Tek

Tek New Member

Good build, been running this for a couple nights with no complaints. 5/5

8. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Add an MG upgrade module.

9. ProtoformX

ProtoformX Active Member

This is what I settled on for my in-game build. Even mastered, I prefer the 5ML setup simply for heat management. It's also nice to squeeze in an AMS for streaks.

10. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

I'm sorta similar to Protoform, but instead of dropping a ML and DHS for AMS, I'm thinking about dropping the engine down to an XL285 and fewer jumpjets to fit the AMS... haven't decided yet. You can also take the build below and drop a DHS to bring you back up to 3 JJ.

11. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Curious how this'll end up comparing to the Ember. I like the upfront DPS of 6 MLas (the ember might run TOO cool to get use out of the cool shot), but am worried that only 2 MG isn't worth the risk associated with being so close and keeping cursor on target. Also, 15 degrees of torso pitch sucks.

12. e92

e92 Benefactor

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm having trouble replicating Ember success in this mech. I didn't realize how well balanced 4MLas+4MGs were and am now thinking the H variant needs to be played a different way.

I first started with all 6 MLas in group 1, and the MGs in group 2. This just doesn't work. 6 lasers generate too much heat, making shots few and far between. Beyond that, the torso limitations on the firestarter make the torso MLas miss quite a bit.

So I moved the two torso MLas to group 2 with the machine guns, leaving group 1 as the 4 arm MLas. Heat management is slightly easier doing this, but I got into a pattern of using the arm MLas to get near overheat threshold and then forced to using the torso MLas with poor aim afterwards.

Last grouping, perhaps more logical than the above, is to just move the torso MLas to firing group 3. I am quite used to doing three firing groups but now I am not getting enough use out of the torso MLas to justify spending 2 tons on them. The initial alpha is good but I am not finding it worthwhile to trade 2 MGs that are constantly used, for 2 MLas that are occasionally used.

Going to keep trying though. I have a fair amount of matches left to judge this variant on the road to mastering the chassis. Just posting my thoughts so maybe it would be helpful to people considering saving the MC on the Ember. I own two other hero mechs that I've put down in favour of a standard variant (CTF-3D > Ilya, VTR-9S > DS). At this point, I am playing the standard variants only to master the Ember.

13. enileph

enileph Star Lord

This?

14. MadTerrapin

MadTerrapin Junior Member

Am going to drop on MLAS as per suggestion. x6 MLAS is a wee bit too hot and the torso mounted MLAS I tend to miss more when compared to the arm mounted ones. Good observations from everyone in this thread. While I am a Jenner pilot through and through, I have to admit - the firestarter will overtake the Jen in terms of the 'hardest hitting Light'.

:(

15. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

What do you say? Ember > FS9-H? Or replacing 2 MGs for 2 extra MLas better? :rolleyes:

Personally i prefer 6x MLas for a nasty Alphastrike.

16. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

Need someone that has both to weigh in, but I'd assume you get more versatility with +2ML than +2MG. TFun's point is a good one in that keeping 2MG on target doesn't help you out as much as 4 does, but I'd rather do more energy damage throughout the match, than just harass with the additional MG damage.

17. e92

e92 Benefactor

I have both. See my wall of text above. I believe the H variant *has* to be played differently than you would play an Ember. The ember is a fantastic mech at close-quarters, keeping constant fire on the enemy mech and trying to avoid damage by either sticking to their back or engaging mechs that are otherwise busy with your teammates that are perceived to be more dangerous.

If you play that way in the H, it simply takes longer to grind off components or core their CT, and thus exposes your mech to longer periods of danger where you are engaged on one mech and vulnerable to others shooting at you, or that mech turning around to shoot you.

I am not a jenner pilot so I am not very good at 'jousting' which allows you to cool your mech down and come back for alphas. If you play that way, then the machine guns arn't as important so trading two of them for 2 MLas is good.

Previous to buying the H, the only other light mech I've ever played is the Ember. Thus, I've been trying to play the H like an Ember, and I've been sorely disappointed. This mech may turn out to be pretty good, but a totally different playstyle needs to be developed. As similar as they are, they've turned out to be apples and oranges to me.

18. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

two words: role warfare

19. Kryten 2X4B

Kryten 2X4B Active Member

I have not found here exactly this effective setup:

20. Sjorpha

Sjorpha Active Member

I'm gonna try and run it like this after the quirks:

top-fast