First impressions

Thread in 'Kintaro' started by enileph, Aug 8, 2013.

1. enileph

enileph Star Lord

First off, I will wait before I get the Golden Boy, so below is all crafting and analysis base on stats and design of each variant. As normal we ignore the useless initial setup and look at the import thigns like perks, hardpoints and what not. Then again, we hope for the better sense in PGI when things are really released.

First off:
    Golden Boy: WHY is a Hero mech havin a lower MAX engine than the normal variants. Reall, they should raise this up to the normal standard limit instead. It is a HERO afterall. As if this is not enough, having a bad movement range is just sad. At least the missile hardpoints all have big tube numbers. maybe useful for LRM boat but that's about it.

18: Better than Golden Boy. One less Energy Hardpoint and smaller tubes. Other than that this is probably way better for SRM and things.

19: Finally 3 energy hardpoints. However only 3 of the 4 missile Hardpoints are usable. the Narc tube is the WORSE IDEA OF ALL TIME. Seriously, PGI should upgrade this whole single tube piece of crap.

20: Probably the best idea of them all. 4E3M, and you can zombie with this. Probably what I would want for this mech.

In the end"
    20 is nice. 18 is acceptable. 19 have a useless M hardpoint, and is probably the worst. Golden Boy is slow and probably only good for LRM boat.

2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

18: very good Variant for very strong SRM Striker builds. The downside: losing your arms will limit your Firepower to only SRM.Pods for short range attacks. Can be risky, so affords good pilots to avoid damage.

19: worst variant of all. Due to limited (viable) Weaponhardpoints, you should put in a very large XL Engine and play some Scout/Lights.Hunter roles. The 1'Tube in the CT is a waste. They should have put that tube somewhere else or just drop it for another Energy.Hardpoint.

20: best Variant. Though Missile.Hardpoints are limited by 3 so you cant build strong SRM Striker builds, the four Energy.Hardpoints (2 in CT) compensate this very much. Designed for Zombie.builds at high speed. But somehow i rather like to play the CN9-A than this Zombie.

GB: slowest Variant but not the worst. The only Variant which can be played as strong LRM Boat for its weight class. Even as SRM Striker very powerful. In my opinion they should have dropped one Missile Pod and add another Energy slot or bigger Engines since you cant fill all the big tubes with respective big Pods due to Weight matters.

Blagg

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Personally I don't think the GB is worth the $16.49 price tag that comes with it.

I will have to wait to try the other production mechs before I decide on their viability for my playstyle.

4. enileph

enileph Star Lord

I think only 18 and 20 is worth buying so far. 19 with a single M tube is just crap, so you are trading TWO useful missile hardpoints for one energy hardpoints at the arm, hardly worth it.

The hateful thing is that you need THREE variants to go to elite, which means you have to choose between crap like 19 or to shell out for a GB, which is overpriced, and not too worth it even when it goes on sale.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

we've mastered crappier mechs...

6. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

compared to what Leonhart? I seem to do ok with most crappy variants of mechs, I just have to adjust my play style.

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

like the JR7-k. Hes crap compared to the others but we still had to use him to get the mastery.

8. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[img width=500 height=281]http://31.media.tumblr.com/b6b75d5d124c62aaf4e78c5c92edc31c/tumblr_mr8tvwWC3I1s5pi6wo1_500.jpg[/img]

baby what you talking about?

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

I dont see your point. You actually proved mine. It's a sub-par mech and you still used him to do well. Same thing with the 2 crap variants of the kintaros. they are gonna be crappier than the others, but we are still gonna use, or mix/max em to their fullest potential.

The worst part about it all is the obscenely low amount of exp and c-bills you got for that battle even with premium time.

10. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I was fairly uninterested when I saw the Golden Boy's readout. After seeing it in-game, the only good thing I see about this mech is a bitchin' paint job. This is just trash. Slow, no JJ, the size of a Highlander and it has a MAAASSSSSIVE CT. I am not only not interested in buying these mechs, unless they fix the CT, I don't see how this is even a viable option on the battlefield. MAYBE if it had JJ or some advantage in speed, but, as it stands, it's a very pretty deathtrap. Anything this mech can do, another mech can do just as well and survive! My Trebs and Cents may not carry 5 missle pods, but I can get 12-16 SRMs in one volley, at half the mech size, with a faster and lighter engine and have the ability to spread out damage. Plus, my Trebs have Jets.

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

When i saw the C-Bill.Prices of the Kintaros, i was surprised that the KTO-20 is so cheap, since its equipped with DHS & FF already, though i dont understand why they chose FF over ES. But everything else on the KTO-20 is a fair trade.

12. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Don't see you anywhere in here... In fact I don't see a Kintaro in there either LOL

[quote author=Vergere link=topic=2778.msg16503#msg16503 date=1376017887]
    [img width=500 height=281]http://31.media.tumblr.com/b6b75d5d124c62aaf4e78c5c92edc31c/tumblr_mr8tvwWC3I1s5pi6wo1_500.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]

Mmmmm, sorry but that damage output is not impressive at all for the size of the mech.

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Ive played several matches with my new bought KTO-20. Well, dont know why, but with the SRM.Strike builds i perform very badly. Average 200scores, most times get cored too fast. Now i changed to SSRMs and go a larger XL Engine for Speed and Skirmish-Gameplay - and got better results:

[​IMG]

But somehow i really feel like piloting a smaller and inferior brother of the Quickdraw. And i really miss JJs here. :whacko:

and btw, i couldnt go Zombie until now because i simply died before losing sidetorsos. WTF!?

What about you guys?

14. Axlotl

Axlotl New Member

Hopefully this gets better after the CT change. I've been considering getting a Centurion for a while but now i might hold off and get a Kintaro instead. Combined with the the SSRM buff this could make a deadly light hunter.

15. SabbatH

SabbatH Junior Member

Currently for me the KTO-20 is the best Medium mech. And I am rather heavy/assault mech fan. Fast and has really powerful weapons for close fights (e.g. 4 x MLas + 3 x SRM 6). I like the grouping of hard points on it. Weapons are spread all over the build so even if you loose an arm you still have good things to fight with (compare Hunchback or Centurion). Heat efficiency is ok and the survival of the mech is really good. I recommend !

16. enileph

enileph Star Lord

According to smurfy there ar *10* tubes on KTO-19 CT missile launchers. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is the case then Golden Boy may yet be the worse variant.
    Having two Missile slot crammed into CT, but gets nerfed in the engine size.

17. Cthulu Jr.

Cthulu Jr. Well-Known Member

I've fiddled around with all 4 variants now, so let me add my two cents;

KTO-18; very powerful SRM build, especially if you use a 5x SSRM2 or SRM6/SRM4 build. Has enough well-mounted energy hardpoints and tonnage to mount decent backup in the form of LLas or PPCs. Can also form the basis of a solid rapid-fire LRM 5 build with some unorthodox tweaking. Good maximum engine, good armor, and both the arms and the legs are relatively small, not like some other mechs such as the cataphract or awesome. Once they fix the CT hitbox, it'll be one of the best medium mechs in the game, and possibly one of the best mechs overall.

KTO-19; A long-ranged version of the 18-designed for heavy LRM and/or energy barrage fire from a long distance. Can also be built as an extremely fast hard-hitting energy raider with modest missile backup-dual ERPPC with XL engine and some SRMs seems like an effective build. A great light killer, medium deullist, and heavy-assault harasser.

KTO-20; Pure zombie LRM boat, through and through. The energy hardpoints are perfectly mounted for small or medium lasers, TAG, and nothing else, while the 3 missile hardpoints, with 20 tubes each, are obviously designed for heavy LRM alphas. You can make a decent zombie SRM build out of it if you want, but that doesn't really play to the strengths of this mech, especially with its large size.

Golden Boy; A bad variant of a good mech chassis. You need to really come up with something unorthodox if you want this mech to shine. Can make a decent LRM spammer, or you can make an effective long-range energy sniper with some SRM backup.

All in all, I'd say that the Kintaro is a mech worth playing and mastering, especially once they fix that CT problem. Until they tweak it some more, though, I would advise against spending money on the Golden Boy-it's decent, but it's just not as good as the other three.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast