DRG-5N Our Dakka is Eternal (2x MLas, 3x AC2, XL300)

Thread in 'DRG-5N' started by BindMind, Jun 3, 2013.

1. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

Finally, a dakka I can trust!

The concept behind this mech is simple: Run fast and dakka faster. There really isn't much else to say about this mech other than that this thing rapes, pillages, and slaughters.

I find the best use of this loadout is to set up at the enemy's flank and shit fury on their backside.

If you want you can take out quite a bit of the AC/2 ammo in favor of missiles, but I much prefer having more bullets.

EDIT: Within the current meta, it is important to consider AMS in your build. Dropping a couple tonnes of AC/2 ammo may be something you should consider.

Feedback is always appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Iscarius

Iscarius New Member

Long live the dakka! This seems like a fun mech, I wanna get one. I like doing a 4xAC2 Jager sometimes, and this seems kinda similar but faster, plus MLs.

3. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I think I'd be apt to try and fit more heat in there. AC/2s are great DPS but murder on your heat containment.

4. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

I find that since you should be far behind the enemy anyways, you'll mostly be using the AC/2s exclusively, and with just them your heat efficiency will be 38%. I think that's manageable.

5. Xene

Xene New Member

I like this build quite a lot. I personally took two tons of ammo off to add ams because I always seem to die to LRMs in this meta. I have only run out of ammo once in 14 games, but I had to kill four people in that game, I figure the tradeoff is worth it.

6. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

I agree, AMS is definitely important nowadays. I'll add that idea to the OP.

7. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

For some reason the other two games I posted here were deleted... Whatever.

Here's a game I did particularly well on just earlier, just to prove the potential is there.

[​IMG]

I died at the last second when I got greedy and wanted some component destroys :)

8. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Some newer posts were lost when we migrated as the database lost about two days worth of data. :whacko:

9. BindMind

BindMind Advanced Member

Ah, alright, I understand.

10. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

This is how I've been running it. A 280XL was all I had when I built it but the drop in speed didn't seem too bad to me. I personally like having extra heat sinks because I find it runs hot. 450 rounds is kind of a minimum, it can leave you a bit short in longer battles or if you get carried away.

I love this build!

Edit: Actually been running this with 525 rounds of ammo and 14 DHS instead lately. I'm finding the extra ammo is really handy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  11. crazyjose85

crazyjose85 New Member

How do you set up the fire groups, just do all ac2 at once for 6 dmg shots or do you stagger them?

12. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

It depends.
    Damage - Linked, since all 3 shots hit the same place. Fire, anticipate movement, line up the same compartment, repeat.
    High Heat - Chain using the default refresh of .5 seconds (Should be heat-neutral on most maps)
    Intimidation - Chain, firing like mad
    Suppression - Chain, firing like mad

For "Fire like mad", I hit the trigger about every .20 seconds, about as long as it takes to say 'pack'. I should set up a macro, but I'm lazy.

13. crazyjose85

crazyjose85 New Member

i set up 3 different groups for it

1 fire all
    2 fire ac 1
    3 fire ac 2

I click 2 and 3 with a short delay between them then hold down 1. It staggers them but man does that build up heat.

14. DarkLobster

I pretty much just fire them all together, but I like the idea of these "poor man's macros" that you guys suggest!

15. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I find Bindmind's build way too hot.
    I have 15 DHS on mine, I'm still considering trading one for more ammo but I'll never go under 14. AC/2 is hot, and there is no point on carrying a big gun if you can't fire.
    That being said, it's hell of a mech. I did a few drops tonight, I always was of the best scorers of the team.

Don't do it at the moment, until the heat "bonus" bug (?) on the AC/2 is fixed. Here's why.
    At the moment shooting all three at the same time is the best way.

16. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

it's heating so much

17. Regina Redshift

I suck at this build...
    So much.

18. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I have always found that three AC2's requires too much Ammo, with too much heat and too little return for the investment. The DPS is pretty fantastic but I am always too preoccupied watching my Heat containment. It is an effective support fire 'mech if you don't mind running continually Med.Rare.

Mythweaver

19. Regina Redshift

I prefer to run hot, honestly. Makes me feel more alive. My biggest problem is positioning my Dragon somewhere that it can henpeck the enemy to death.

20. DarkLobster

"Henpeck". I like that. This chicken does have a sharp beak though.

You just need a good corner to poke your arm-of-death around.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast