DRG-5N GSh-23-2 (2xAC2, 2xML, SRM4, XL325)

Thread in 'DRG-5N' started by skribs, Nov 11, 2014.

1. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

This takes advantage of the AC2 quirk to essentially get the benefit of a 3xAC2 build without the extra 6 tons on the third AC2. A DRG-1N with AC5s will shoot very fast and probably do more DPS, but this gets extra speed and/or secondary weapons compared with a 2xAC5 build, while providing more rate of fire for high cockpit shake.

Because I usually do left arm on left click...
    Weapon Group 1: Medium Lasers
    Weapon Group 2: AC2s on chain fire (rapid double click and hold)
    Weapon Group 3: SRM4

As an alternative build...

This build sacrifices the SRM to upgrade the MLs to MPLs and get an extra DHS in. Keeps your shots all on the arms, which makes it easier to keep the target in your crosshairs.

2. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Don't. Please. Never.
    Here's why.
    (sorry the images are gone and I deleted the original files)(but with AC/2 back in fashion maybe I should restore this guide, give me few days)

edit: I have test this one, but based on my observations on a triple AC build you won't need 12 DHS (I'm fine with 11) and won't need 8 tons of ammo (I have 10, a simple rule of three should make you comfortable with 7). With the saved tonnage you can upgrade the engine for more speed (the edge of your build over a triple AC/2)(or double AC/5) and/or maybe upgrade to an SRM6 for a better close range push:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Wouldn't AC/2s on a 25% reduced cooldown be within that window even if shot one at a time?

The reason I put more ammo on is because I figure it's faster, therefore more ammo is required to last the same amount of time.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

-25% gives you a 0.54s cooldown, bringing you very close to the 0.51s (I don't think this values has been changed since) of heat penalty cooldown.
    It means you can safely fire all your ACs linked, but it also means the slightest delay between shots will lead to a loop and an exponential heat increase.

(edit: said in other words: the shorter the cooldown, the less you can stagger the shots - it should be doable on a mech without quirks)

I also added one more ton to my build (more thanks to the heat quirk actually, back in the days the rate of fire was similar, if not higher, but I couldn't shot that much because of heat).
    But I'm "only" at 10 tons for 3 cannons, 7 tons for 2 cannons should be more than enough.

5. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

What abiut factoring in quick shot and/or weapon modules?

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

What do you mean?

7. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Quick shot and weapon modules lower the cooldown further.

25% from quirks
    12% from module
    5% from fast fire
    42% total

That should bring the ac2s to below .5s.

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

There is no AC/2 cooldown module (I wish!).
    As for fast fire, I don't know how it stacks with all the other bonus (if we keep to PGI's "logic" it should be added, but we never know, especially when adding percentage makes absolutely no sense at all in the first place) so for now on I prefer not to count it until I take the time to do some tests.

Anyway, the fastest your rate of fire, the less you're allowed to stagger your shots in bursts. If your AC/2 cooldown is ~0.7s you have ~0.2s to work with, but if it's ~0.5s you must link all cannons.
    (I'm currently rewriting my guide and it will be more comprehensive, with videos as soon as I get those #@$¤*§ macros to work)

9. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

But if its under 0.5 seconds and you alpha fire, wouldn't it run into the ame issue?

10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I see what you mean.

But the system seams to be made well enough so it's not the case.
    First the "cooldown" of the heat penalty is affected by the fast-fire perk, bringing it to 0.48s.
    I also suspect it's affected by quirks and modules (it would be the proper way to do it), but I'll need testing to be sure. Even if it wasn't the case, 70% of 0.72s makes 0.50s, still higher than 0.48s.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast