CTF-4X "Utility belt" (4x AC2, 1x MLas, 1x Tag, 1x SRM4, AMS, STD245)

Thread in 'CTF-4X' started by Novarum, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Novarum

Novarum New Member

The idea behind this mech was to stuff as much efficient and useful systems into it as possible while making the most use out of it's hard points. The result was a molten abomination.

Put the majority of the AMS and AC2 ammo in the torso because they have the lowest explosion damages.

Feel free to swap the tag with a Mlas if you want that extra laser for when you run out of ammo. However, the target support it would give would probably out damage and out utility a single Mlas.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

The CTF-4X is already very slow with the STD255 cap, don't you think? I would drop the SRM4 to load two additional Heatsinks.

I still doubt, that you can fire very long with the high Heatproduction. And if you are forced to fight in close range, you can't kill very fast with that low Alphastrike.Damage :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  3. Novarum

Novarum New Member

Thanks for the reply and criticisms! :D

While I fully agree with the heat and speed issues, the damage potential I was going for in this mech was more "Burst DPS". By this I mean, putting out as much DPS as possible in a short period of time. Even with a bigger engine, this mech still wouldn't be able to pop tart effectively without JJ, making high burst weapons not as effective as they could be on faster mechs. I just wanted a mech that could eliminate a single target quickly, then retreat behind cover until the next salvo is cooled off. While a chainsaw or a howler could accomplish this with the bonus of great heat economy, I wanted it in a STD engine, good armor, and good ammo package. This means not being as effective in brawler range as one could be in heat maps, but that's where the amazing range of the AC2s would allow you to stay out of brawler range and pick off enemies from a distance.

Plus, a tag really helps if you have a LRM buddy, at the cost of just one MLas. I think the potential damage support is worth it, and it at least gives you a job if you were to run out of ammo while another LRM boat is still in play.

So yeah, it's intended to be pretty niche, but with utility and survivability.

4. Lokesh

Lokesh Active Member

The problem is that for "burst DPS" you really want high alpha and you don't have that. I ran a 4xAC2 build for a long time (see The Goat). It was great early on, but as you climb in ELO and start facing people who maneuver and torso twist it doesn't work as well.

If you had a buddy in an assault who could pull hate... Maybe then you could stand back and just peel people apart. But once you get into a real fight it doesn't work because you need to stay facing your target too long.

5. Novarum

Novarum New Member

Sorry, I didn't see your build when I scanned over the forums to see if this build concept had been made already. :( Sorry about that, I would have just posed this as a modification within your thread.

That being said, I am pretty new to MWO and theory craft more than I play (recently at least, my main gaming rig had a power supply and hard drive problem, waiting on replacements atm.) I've found great success with the howler but always wanted that extra bit of ammo and survivability, and a Tag to help my LRM buddy. Since I found myself peaking in and out of cover in order to take advantage of the UAC5s "burst DPS", I prioritized short term DPS, assassination type gameplay. I guess that tactic won't hold up in higher elo matches where people know how to space out incoming damage and use landscape to their advantage. :I Until then, this might be fun to tool around with.

6. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with Blagg, the larger the engine on this, the better.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast