Boar's Head "Brutal Pig" (1x Gauss, 1x SRM6+A, 2x LLas, 3x MLas, AMS, STD 340)

Thread in 'Boar's Head' started by Aylek, May 31, 2014.

1. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

The Boar's Head is one of the most difficult mechs I ever owned. It's quite challanging to find a build that's efficient both damage and heat wise while also building into the variant's strengths and weaknesses.

The Boar's Head obvious strength are it's six fully articulated arm energy hardpoints, but which comes at the cost of only being able to mount one ballistic and missile weapon each. A high amount of energy weapons require a bulk of DHS and usually also rule out the BFG / AC20. LRM20 is doable and viable (see my 'Dirty Pig'), but only as a kind of support weapon. By the way, being able to mount a 400-sized engine should be ignored quickly, but some speed and agility are nontheless important in an assault mech. So where's the sweet spot...?

Another problem one encounters when wading through the front line in an AS7 - and this is what this thing should do, do you hear me, DDC-LRM-boats? :angry: - is the quick loss of the right torso holding the mech's ballistic weapon(s). As with my Misery builds I therefore found that the Boar's Head should be build asymmetrical, and suddenly the various builds started to work.

The build shown is the latest one from a long odyssey including cursing myself for getting this mech at all. As with many mechs one should try to find an efficient build suited for one's own playstile, and this build finally does it for me in the Boar's Head. Feedback from some of my unit's members was positive, so I decided to present the build here as well.

Because of the strenghts and weaknesses mentioned I went for an asymmetric build on the BH, trying to dilute the weak points while building into the variant's strenghts. For those not immediately aware of it: shoot the Brutal Pig's right torso, and there's still SRM6+A and dual LLas left. Go for it's left torso and still face GR and triple MLas. The Gauss Rifle is wrapped in CASE so that the typical loss of the RT won't harm the CT. Gauss ammo is used for crit padding the Gauss and for the same reason I put one DHS in the LA.

Weapon groups:
    1: LA / 2x LLas
    2: RA / 3x MLas
    3: Gauss Rifle
    4: SRM6+A

Although I build the mech with heat efficiency in my mind, heat naturally can still be a problem here. Hang back a bit, try to chain fire the lasers (all of them) or use cool shots. Other than that, the punch, protection and speed are well balanced in this thing. Give it a try!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. Sho Shuto

Sho Shuto New Member

After many back and forths, I found this works with the current ballistic quirks of range and velocity. That and I'm all in with MPL for that quirk as well. Almost identical build.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast