BNC-3E Fat Grizzly (4x MLas, 2x AC5, 2x AC2, AMS, STD310)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'BNC-3E' started by epikt, Mar 23, 2014.

1. epikt

epikt Benefactor

My pick on the quad-AC Banshee:

Slow, not manoeuvrable, but insanely powerful.
    Heat efficiency is ok (in particular when compared with 4x AC/2s I tested before that one) but still be careful, the lasers can make heat rise quite fast. When hot only use the ACs (even at close range), when really hot only use AC/5s.
    When everything goes well this mech can deal serious pain (I have a 1000+ video I'll upload soon, it actually doesn't even look impressive). But caught of guard it can be destroyed without being able to fight back because of its lack of mobility. Not to mention with only a 20° pitch angle, it can't fight on uneven terrain.

STD300 variant, for those not willing to buy a 310 or wanting more armor:

Archived: first draft [OBSOLETE!]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Gave this a try with a few modifications:
    +STD325
    +Armor
    -2 DHS
    -1 Ton AC5
    -AMS

First Match
    [​IMG]

Next two matches were over 900 damage as well. Might drop some armor for AMS, but the mech did very well maneuvering around LRMs with the extra speed, although i'm sure AMS will be needed for general protection nowadays.

Overall, I prefer this over the UAC5 variation. It delivers a consistent and reliable stream of cooler firepower that keeps your opponent rockin' all the way into the dirt. The cooler ballistic stream means you can utilize the MLas more often than a UAC build as well.

5/5 from me.

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Interesting tweaks, thank you.
    You're definitely right about removing a DHS, it allows endosteel upgrade for 4.5 more tons.
    => added one ton of ammo of each calibre, added some armor and upgraded the engine to a STD310.

I agree about AC/5 being better than UAC/5 for this build. I like the reliability of the AC/5, it's the gun you can always fire.
    Not sure about removing the AMS though, these days I'd rather not go out without it (and I enjoy when my teammates got one too).

4. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Yeah, I think I had some lucky drops with no LRM spam luckily. I'm going to work AMS into my build tonight.

5. I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

I_AM_ZHOUL!!! Well-Known Member

I gave 3 stars because even though this is a monster build and I run a very similar setup on mine and murder... it has an a very obscure engine size. And as someone who likes to put together builds and check it against the builds on here, at 1.9 million thats a very large investment for alot of us. It comes stock on nothing so it is a straight one off, on a purely min-max thought exercise (or if you 10s-100s of millions of cbills) that's fine but I love if I can grab a build and just put it together and play it.

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

OP updated with a STD300 variant.
    Now give me four stars! :p

7. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

I generally don't rate based on minor modifications to the engine size. Some people prefer load up on equipment and use a STD300, while I personally prefer a bit more speed with a STD325. So while the OP may be not be exactly what everyone wants, the bare-bones of it is ta great build, and optimizing it to our tastes is why we have these discussions.

Anyways, here's what it can do:

[​IMG]

8. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Here's the version I run, with even more ammo. Regardless of how you set up the 'Mech, this build tears up VERY nicely. Like Solahma, I find this performs much more reliably than the version with UAC5s.

One of my better matches with it so far, without even using consumables:
    [​IMG]

Here's a video I took of that same match:

9. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

So base your opinion on how it works with the next lowest engine you have, and waste the extra tonnage, then perhaps imagine that game being slightly faster. It's not fair at all to judge a min/max build based on what YOU have available. It's a min/max'd build, YOU have to adapt to it however you can to test it, but don't rate it down because of your available equipment or resources. Sure 1.9 million might be a lot to test a build, but try it with a STD 300 and save for a STD 310 if you enjoy it or you are effective. Rating this down because you don't have something or don't want to spend the money is like rating a build at 1/5 because you didn't want to buy the mech... Or rating down a 2PPC+2AC5 because Large lasers are cheaper. IMO, unless a build specifically says it's trying to be effective while saving money, it should be based on the MIN/MAX's potential and effectiveness, not what you have. Hell, even at a STD300 (very common engine) this build wrecks as Falconium proved.

TL:DR This is an excellent build(s) and it shouldn't be rated down because YOU don't have the equipment.

/rant

10. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

On that note, I think people underestimate how many players might own a STD310. I do, and I think any pilot who enjoys running Stalkers (as I do and always have since I first got them) has probably bought one at some point or other, simply to get that max-speed effect. (The 4xERLLaser Stalker builds usually carry a STD310.)

And I think alot of dedicated Stalker pilots would be tempted to buy Banshees, particularly for the 3M variant, which has two more Energy hard-points than any given Stalker can carry. And the extra bit of speed that the 310 engine gives compared to the 300 might be considered worth the 2.5 tons by some.

11. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Indeed, I bought this STD310 for a Stalker.
    Does the minor speed boost worth it? Honestly I'm not sure. But there is no need to over protect the arms if you get cored in torso first. Most of the time, 35ish armor points are way enough for the shield job.
    Also, I noticed weak arms sometimes act as bait for inexperienced pilots that will target it, not realizing there is no equipment here (or just thinking "ok, I get the component destroyed bonus and this arm won't annoy me anymore").

12. Dartlassys

Dartlassys Junior Member

13. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

14. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Was replaying this mech for gigs.

15. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

5/5,

I love this build !