BJ-1X Quirky STD (2x LPLas, 3x MLas, STD225) +Alt

Thread in 'BJ-1X' started by tfun90, Jan 14, 2015.

1. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

It's a minority opinion, but I think that the BJs make solid STD engine brawlers. Add that to an above average poke trading potential, and you've got one reliable mech. With a coolshot on board, you've got to mess up big time to dip below 250 damage. Example: shield an SSRM SCR's alpha with your weapon arm. Goodbye, 75% of my firepower! Still think I hit the 250 mark iirc, but it wasn't pretty.

I run the BJ-1 with AC20+3MLas, STD 200, enough heat sinks to last me till my cool shot, and enough ammo to carve enough out of the enemy team to have 'done my share.' I get in close, and give them something to worry about. This build brings that playstyle (minus the jump jets...) in laser form. Here's to LPLas that run cool like an AC20 but fire with more range, no leading hassle, and no ammo constraint. With a bigger 'gine :eek:.

*Righty or Lefty, so you can dominate a corner poke as well as the BJ's natural vertical poke.
    *Twisting is more effective than people give credit in the BJ. You're Kate-Moss-level thin in profile. Enemies will either have to lead you, or hope they aren't aiming somewhere your side torso won't be when the boom comes.
    *That said... you must not allow enemies to shoot you on your strong side any more than necessary. All but one of your eggs in that heavy side. It's doable, but requires doing.

Almost every build on this subforum front page is a high risk, high reward wannabe light. I think a CDA, or an actual light does that better, and safer with the increased mobility/JJs. BJs are all too easy to hit with a solid alpha, then follow up for an XL kill, or at least force the player to pilot around their soft spot. This build is for tanky, still speedy, excellent trading, medium to close range fire support. 12 DHS will keep those blue beams zapping for quite a while with quirks, and flat-out DPS is moderately high until your coolshot is down the drain.

Make sure to rotate out when you're one or two exposures from losing your weapons or your life, this build is clutch. I probably should have screencapped that 5 kill, 5 assist, ~875 damage, last man-or-two round earlier. In fact, I dropped 10 or 15 rounds in this, and got a well above average number of clutch, high battle impact rounds. And that was before I sprung for Ferro to set the build in stone! #spacepoor

I'm honestly not sure how I feel this build compares to an MLas 4P or STD 280~ 8MLas BJ-1X. I think I'd need a Venn Diagram...
    [​IMG]

Thread invites to relevant posters:
    @Cpt Chattahah @SirHitman @Falconium @Michael @PyckenZot @epikt

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    epikt likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I actually have BJs on the list of "must try" mechs as it isn't something I am overly familiar with. The Venn Diagram totally sold me though LOL

I agree; the upside is some high weapon placement for peaking or 3/4 cover and that is great! It is, however, easy to knock out an XL on one of these from having shot at them a great deal. Play it like a skirmisher... Allow someone else to get the attention, close in to brawl range and them fuck them up with the one/two finisher and move on.

After the King Crabs come out for Cbills this is next on my list... right after the Wrath Pack mechs LOL

3. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Perhaps an XL BJ-1X with 2 LPLas the same arm would suit me. I'd hate to lose the clutch round opportunities to XL death, though. Gotta think about that in a featherweight.

4. SirHitman

SirHitman Well-Known Member

Iv never really considered STD engines for the BJ-1X because of there weight, 116 kph vs 89 kph XL for the same weight.
    You got a shield side for 50ish points of damage, but lose wrong torso and you might be alive but you will be useless for the rest of the battle.

I found some builds i think might be viable with STD
    8mlas 280STD
    or replace 2 mlas for heatsinks to up the sustainable DPS and no ghost heat.
    6mlas 275STD and BAP

But then again XL 21 heatsinks :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I like the idea. Sadly I sold my 1X long before the quirks became a thing. Let's see if it's in one of the faction sales...

6. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

BJ-1X has been my favourite medium since it came out. I don't remember ever having put an XL on it. Thanks for making me feel less alone :thumbsup:

Yours seems a solid build but I have 2 reflections to make.
    First is speed: The BJ-1X has the added larger engine capacity. Not using it is a waste on this mech.
    My second point is less strong as I will be referring to an XL build without the better weapon mounts. But still I would like to put the question out why to use the BJ-1X to run a build that the WVR-6K does better.

7. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Very valid points.
    Because it has lots of hardpoints and can mount heavy weapon we tend to overarm the BlackJack, making it a pretty fragile mech because of the XL (and pretty side-torso-ish hitbox). Well, I'm the first to blame, I'm the typical "high risk, high reward wannabe light" pilot. And to be honest I won't change my BlackJacks, because that's what I love with them, how they are a small 45t ball of destruction, with unexpected firepower on a mech of this tonnage. Even if it comes at a price.
    I wonder if you're really playing on the chassis strengths, chasing like that on the Hunchback's grounds, but it's an interesting design, nicely optimized, for another way to pilot the Jack.

8. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I have run my BJ-1 with STD engines, but, I have never tried a BJ-1X STD... Hmmm. Interesting TF9. I will definitely try this out next time I log on. I am loving the XL280, 2x LPL, 4x MLas - but, this looks promising!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll post some more feedback soon.

9. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

PS: LOVE the diagram! That shit cracked me up. Two co-workers were walking by my office and looked at me like I was nuts. :D

epikt likes this.
  10. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

I will re-echo the point already made here, that BJs are super easy to kill when they have XL. Like Jaggers, their STs stand out REALLY large from the front. But as you mentioned yourself Tfun, from the side, these things are thin as toothpicks; a good pilot knows how to torso twist, which means running XL isn't that big a deal.

Still, I definitely agree that STD engine in a Blackjack is worth it, if you can fit it without losing too much. And honestly, you're build in the OP looks worth it; the only downside that really bugs me is the speed --- which is the one thing keeping XL Blackjacks running alive and free.

Anyway, my personal opinion: that looks like a build worth taking . . . but at the same time I don't think I'd ever run it myself, as I think the high alpha, speed, and heat efficiency of my current build (6xMLs, 2xMPLs, XL295) is worth more. Just a personal preference. ;)

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast