1. Important News!

MechSpecs is changing owners. Please follow this link for all the details. It also includes a crowdfund, all donations are appreciated!
    Thanks for your attention -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

Beastly Banshee Builds

Discussion in 'Banshee' started by skidog2k3, Mar 23, 2014.

1. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

Some of the builds I have been seeing on here for this mech are pretty beastly... especially the ballistic varients. I've been eyeing the chassis, but I am still hesitent on dropping precious c-bills on something I may hate... especially since I am more of a med/heavy pilot... I have my requisite Atlas, but that is as far as I've ventured into the assault realm.

Any words of wisdom from some seasoned assault pilots on this chassis?
    I hate being on the fence and would appreciate some info to tip the scales.

2. SuicidalBaby

SuicidalBaby Well-Known Member

You have the Atlases mastered? If that is the case then I would say go ahead and buy them. Keep in mind, it's a good 15 million c-bills to outfit each of these with some of the better builds. You will end up buying 3-4 engines so that you can play with these how you want, 350std being the top end for the 3M. 320, 325, 330, 335 have all made it into my builds at one point or another with the 320std being the more prominent role-player.

The Banshee all about exploiting occupied enemies or dominating 1v1. Putting yourself in those situations are what the 3E and 3S variants are all about. The M is support brawl/rush tank as it can be fully loaded and go 70kph.

The 3E is by far my favorite because of the dynamic array of builds you can load up. I believe that it has settled into the #2 non-jj Assault mech with the only reason the D-DC holding 1st is the ECM.

Keep the speed and armor up. Nothing tanks like this mech, so keep the arms at least at 35 pts of armor. Legs, no lower than 60.

3. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

My Atlases aren't masterd, only elited to get the x2. I don't play them often enough to get them mastered, and usually when I do, it's my DC in pug drops, because the ECM can save your a$$ more often than not.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Like you I'm not an assault pilot, but I bought the Banshee because of the quad ballistics (I love ballistics).
    So far I like it (3E variant), but it's sooooo not manoeuvrable it's a real pain too pilot - I hope unlocking elite perks will make it a little better.
    The problem is if you want a beastly build you're bound to a very slow STD300 to free enough tonnage.
    I also don't like how most of (if not all) the weapons are in the torso.

5. SuicidalBaby

save your money and master the Atlases first.

[quote author=epikt link=topic=6060.msg39379#msg39379 date=1395603371]
    Like you I'm not an assault pilot, but I bought the Banshee because of the quad ballistics (I love ballistics).
    So far I like it (3E variant), but it's sooooo not manoeuvrable it's a real pain too pilot - I hope unlocking elite perks will make it a little better.
    The problem is if you want a beastly build you're bound to a very slow STD300 to free enough tonnage.
    I also don't like how most of (if not all) the weapons are in the torso.
    [/quote]

stop using slow engines. Nothing below a 320std.

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

320 is 4.5t more than the 300. If you want a beastly build full of autocanons (that's the purpose of the thread after all) you're so short on tonnage you just cant afford that.
    And to be honest, I have build with a 325, it's a pain in the ass to pilot too.

7. SuicidalBaby

.... your problem is over the definition of beastly?....

yeah, I don't know what I was thinking....

Seriously, just stop. If you cant deliver the payload to the battlefield, you're a waste of tonnage. The 300std is a joke on this thing just like it is on the Atlas.

8. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

On some builds, the engine has to be a 300 but yeah, sure, I'd prefer to only use 325 or above. Still doesn't prevent it can work with a smaller.

I have mastered Atlai, Battlemasters and Victors. Started on the Awesome and bought all three Banshees this weekend (serious C-Bill sink there), only have some ten games total but they feel quite nice. The number of hardpoints make for true beasts, very high damage output.

It is slow however, at best, with a 400 engine and speed tweak you will reach 75 kph. It feels a lot like the Atlas more then any other mech, IMHO. It's not a hill fighter though, excelling in long range or enclosed quarters since it carries 90% hardpoints in torsos. Up close, lights love you.

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I totally agree with you.
    But actually, if I wanted my multiple autocanons delivered faster I'd drop in a Cataphract or Jager.

I'm just answering Skidog's question here, and I think I understand his point of view pretty well because I'm in a similar spirit. I'm not an assault pilot, but 95t with 4 ballistic hardpoints? Dakka dakka dakka!
    All I'm saying is, while indeed he'll have a spectacular fire-power, he'll also be sitting in a slow non-manoeuvrable tank. Trading ammo, backup weapons, heat-sinks and/or armor for little more mobility won't really change that, especially when it comes to torso mobility (even if you're right about 300 being too low)(I'm sure you are).
    There is also the requirement to grind the two other variants to be able to pass the only variant you want to elite. That could be a real chore for someone used to mechs with decent mobility (even my 3M with a 375 engine feels horrible to pilot). The only reason why I don't GXP this painful grind is I don't want to waste GXP to unlock a mech I won't play that much anyway.

10. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

Is there anything I can do in this Chassis that I can't do better in a 4X, 3D, or an Illy?

I'm not looking for frustration here..... I get enough of that piloting my Ravens... or Cicadas for that matter :D

Really, If I can't hunt in it, I think I'm going to pass entirely.

11. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Active Member

I actually think the better builds for Banshees use larger engines (I prefer XL for the extra tonnage). You can still go 70 kph and have an assault-worthy amount of hurt. Disregarding La Malinche as it is a one-off, having all/most of the weapons in the torso is one of the main draws of the Banshee over the Atlas. Sure, aiming in corner cases sucks a bit more, but you get two shield arms in return -- pop a STD 325 or 350 in there and some close range weaponry and you have arguably the best zombie brawler out there.

To me, the only reasons to use a Banshee are when you want an assault that can go (relatively) fast, and has two shield arms which go along with the fairly nice torso twist range/speed. Otherwise, if you want a 50kph assault mech of destruction, I think the Atlas is really what you want.

12. Sir Tiddles

Sir Tiddles Active Member

Those are fair comments/concerns. Honestly, in a lot of cases those mechs will do a little better as they are more maneuverable and can have almost the same amount of damage. The reason to use a Banshee over a Cataphract is when you want slightly more firepower and armor, with the bonus of two shield arms. Also, if you go STD engine, the Banshee can be a top notch zombie brawler

13. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

Sir Tiddles has it right. With a STD engine, a crapton of armor, and huge shield arms, this chassis has excellent survivability that you can't get in an XL based Phract.

It's pretty hard to fit a larger engine in with 4 autocannons, but by going down to three AC5s, you can slot in a STD340 which gives you 58 KPH, and will keep up with pretty much any Atlas or Stalker build.

As for using an XL, I've tried it with an AC2 build and really can't recommend going this route. You can pump out a ton of damage, but it's pretty easy to lose a torso.

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm let me see.. I am thinking about buying this Mech/Variant as my next Assault. Havent bought one for ages, since you need soo much of C-Bills to fit in all the needed stuff. But now after the WE Challenge i gathered about 10mio Coins. This Mech with 4B-Slots looks brutal and the look of four long Gunbarrels looking out of your Body is freaking fearsome.

I agree with some that the STD300 is too small for any 80+ Tonner. Even in a Victor or Awesome it's crawling like a legless Zombie. That only for Maximum AC.Power? On large Maps like Alpine i don't want to fall behind when everybody is almost at the enemy base and then get screwed by Enemy Lights (have seen this too often). 60+kph is a good Speed for a 90-100 Tonner. Anything else has big disadvantages. E.g. you need every bit of extra speed since LRM buff.

15. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

Why should I not consider this just because I don't have my Atlases masterd?

16. skidog2k3

skidog2k3 Dispossessed

Well, at least I know what I am going to name them if I do take the plunge.
    Sex-E Beast
    Cptn. Brutal
    Zom-Bee

17. SuicidalBaby

340std is 63.8

18. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

Yeah, that should be 58 kph without speed tweak (I haven't finished basics on the 3M yet).

19. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Moderator Staff Member

I will test the following builds when i have the BNC-3E: :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  20. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

When you have long range weapons your extra 4-8 KPH really isn't that big of a deal. You can head shot with this build. You can lay down a constant chain fire suppresion of AC/5's with this build. You can soak damage with this build.

I appreciate the love for speed, but once you get to the top of the tonnage as an assault driver you're going to have to accept that sometimes you need to be a little bit slower to make full use of the frightening amount of weaponry you can bring. The difference between the 300 and the 350 is 9KPH with speed tweek. It's noticeable, but trust me, it's not a game changer. Your 65 KPH isn't going to let you keep up with those faster heavies and mediums either. You might as well use that 11.5 tons of killing things and armor.

If you truly need to goes faster than 60 KPH all the time, perhaps you should stay in assaults that are 85 tons or less where that number is reachable with out sacrificing to much weaponry.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014