AS7-D-DC Chunker 2.0 (3x SRM6, 2x LLas, 2x LBX10, STD275)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'AS7-D-DC' started by SniperCzar, Oct 28, 2012.

1. SniperCzar

SniperCzar Well-Known Member

This is a revised version of the dual LB 10-X "Chunker" build. It uses the new DHS upgrade and roughly halves the ammo capacity to add dual large lasers. As with the previous build, the goal is to set up in a choke point or on a base and get as close as physically possible to any targets you encounter. This Atlas is well suited to disabling light mechs with the large lasers and hail of 20 shotgun pellets, while point blank focused shots with the LB 10-Xs and triple SRM6s will core even the most heavily armored Atlases in very short order. More than a few shots of the SRMs will cause an overheat, but the lower heat on the large lasers and the quick reload on the autocannons means you can continuously deal damage to your target even when running hot.

LRMs are the biggest weakness for this build, so ideally you'd stick to dense cover and/or bring along a friend with long range weapons for suppression. The lasers also add a nice backup role if you expend all your ammo, though having a half dozen shots worth of ammo for either the SRMs or the ACs is usually enough to win a 1v1 encounter.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. SniperCzar

Holy Artemis Batman!

Dropped two heatsinks and a ton of armor for Artemis, now it feels like I've got 6 LB 10-Xs going all at once! That's how tight the SRM6 spread gets.

3. Spectral

Spectral New Member

Has anyone given this one a shot? Looks interesting.

4. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

I and a few friends of mine have ..... its supper fun!

5. Zefninja

Zefninja New Member

In theory quite potent

6. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I have a buddy who uses an Atlas almost exclusively. I'll see if I can get him to try this out.

7. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

I will say that it takes some skill to pilot. Although you could charge an atlas guns blazing and that would work...with a bit of aiming (Especially when you have that gauss to blow up in the trial Ks ) you could take him down before he dose you, but you need situational awareness still because if something gets in behind you....you turn slower than the average Atlas, also this one works best in chokepoints. The open fields of caustic can be a killing ground with the right group but nothing will beat a tunnel rush on frozen city with the chunker at its front. It's also great for base clearing on River City.....starting from the left side of the map you run across into lower city and weave buildings to keep out of LRM fire then walk up to the base and pop all the poor poor LRM boats where they stand while the rest of your group gets there to cap or turn it into a bloodbath. Moving to the other base from the plane side is trickyer but very doable.

8. Cutsman

Cutsman New Member

I like the LB-10X's but I am not a huge fan of how it spreads the damage across the target at range. My "Boxer" version utilizes two AC-5's instead so that I can lay down accurate fire on a specific part of the target (think RT on a trial AS7-K). I'm going to give this a shot tonight and see how much I like it. I imagine that at point-blank range this setup is nuts.

Edit: My spreadsheet says this build pulls 23.49 DPS with an 83 alpha. My AC-5 build pulls 19.45 and 67 alpha. Very nice. Definitely going to give this a shot... my only concerns are possible ammo explosions, the semi-weakened armor, and no AMS.

9. Hovertank

Hovertank New Member

If I see this build I'm shooting the legs!

I'll give this one a try as well as soon as I get a DC. I like the up close and personal.

10. Spectral

Spectral New Member

Where did you drop more armor off for the artemis? Are you still running with that? Is it worth it on SRMs?

11. Cutsman

Cutsman New Member

I really don't think it's possible. You'd have to strip 3 tons of armor which is about 96 points of armor.

Besides, I may be the only one in this camp on this site but Artemis for SRM's is silly.

12. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

Yes

The SRMs are your workhorse on this build, the tighter you can get them to group the more devistating that they can be...>Currently Artemis makes the SRMs group like an LBX round witch means the difference between mostly center torso hit and peppering all of the center torso (at around 100m or less.) I have used this build since before Artemis and put Artemis on it after....there is a MAJOR diffrence in lethality.

For those worried about removing armor....Sniper goes for firepower over most other things and that is his style....I on the other hand dropped the Large Lasers in the arms down to Medium Pulse Lasers witch lowers alpha but effectively raises the DPS because I can fire the Med Pulse much much more often than I ever could the LL. This also leaves room for AMS and more ammo on top of the Artemis. Hell if you dont fancy lasers at all dont use em and grab something else with the tonnage. Though I like the lasers in the arms....good for taking potshots at lights.

13. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

Yup yup....The LBX is there to be a crit finder....so far as we can find out each piece of the LBX round (each round splits into 10 pieces) is a possible critical chance....a chance for ammo explosion or to make a gauss go critical. That makes for 20 crit chances on top of 20 damage. This beast is made to get up within kissing range and blast as hard as you can while the rest of your team runs around behind the target and plinks at its back....Either you will kill them or they will ....either way they are going down for the most part.

I am toying with the idea of adding a more direct fire Ballistic to the torso just to see how it dose....1 AC 20 maybe a couple AC10s who knows .... but at the ranges these guys are designed to hit at ....there isnt to much room for aim hehe.

14. Cutsman

Cutsman New Member

I'm not quite sure I understand. The build as it stands fits without Artemis. In order for you to place it you will need to strip 96 points of armor (3 tons worth). How is this possible without making it naked?

Also, Artemis, really is a just silly. You can do way more with 3 tons than tighten up your spread at range. Granted, I never really saw the benefit of Artemis on SRM's, I'm still willing to hear out everyone's experience using it. I assume it tightens up the spread somewhere between 200-270m, might be wrong, but I never really saw a difference, and neither did my lancemates. Until then, I will consider it a placebo effect.

Concerning your laser changes, I think it's a great idea. The LL's are nice and all but switching to MPL's does not increase your DPS, it does increase your survivability though. With LL's, DPS and TTOH (time to overheat) is 25.30 and 11.86s respectively. With MPL's it's 24.22 and 13.64s. Not a huge difference but freeing up that tonnage does allow you to add an AMS, bump the engine back up to a 300STD (allows an additional DHS making TTOH 14.50s), and redistribute the armor to about 464/614.

15. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

I have used this build exactly and it works very well...The build was created with team play in mind....rolling out with a lance makes up for the lack of armor....That is my experience at least.

SRMs increase effectiveness of this build inside of 100m...anything out side of that you should just use the Large Lasers because your SRMs and LBX have to much spread really(The LBX isn't so bad at 100 but I don't waste ammo till I am hitting up close) At extreme close range your SRMs are grouping like Streaks used to and going right where you point your cross hair as apposed to spreading over the whole torso as you close further.

Switching to MPL dose increase my DPS because with this build it is not heat efficient enough to fire the large lasers along with the SRMs with any kind of consistency.....Once you close into 100m or less the Large Lasers should only be used as a killing blow and the occasional blast during a fight with more mobile targets. You should never overheat with this build...ever. The formulas do not factor in how often I personally fire the large lasers..... The MPL on the other hand I can fire almost constantly without worrying so much about overheating....(Problems on caustic but hey who doesn't ) so my lasers are effectively doing more damage per second because I can fire 3 times with the MPL where I could only fire once with the LL doing more damage in that time.

Agian....you run this with a lance...not solo. With support this build is something of a glass cannon but it will ruin the day of most who come against it . Add MPL instead of LL if you dont like running glass cannons and you can allocate plenty of armor everywhere you need it. The lasers aren't even needed really. The first version of this fit ran only 2 LBX and 3 SRM6.

16. Cutsman

Cutsman New Member

So it looks like ONLY at 150m and anything under 100m is a tight grouping of SRM's.

100-150m and 150-270m is just a ton of malarkey.

Care to sell me some more snake oil?

17. SniperCzar

I see no point in arguing with someone who hasn't even tried this build. Call me when you've gotten triple teamed by Atlases and killed them all with half your armor left XP

18. Cutsman

Cutsman New Member

The facts are there. Whether or not you choose to accept it is your call. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

19. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

There is no comparison to the non Artemis SRMs there.....what dose this video prove ? You should not engage SRMs on this build at more than 100m....101-270 is irrelevant to this build .

20. jbhewitt

jbhewitt New Member

I honestly dont know how u aim SRM's - it's a skill I haven't had much luck with.

I've learnt timing for guass/ac20 just not SRM's yet.

300 ms lag doesn't help much

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast