Anyone tried out MWO on Linux?

Thread in 'Betty's Playground' started by Blagg Zear, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Well, some might have already read it on my profile - i'm playing+tweaking with Linux atm. And while i was trying out applications etc. i also googled for the option to play MWO on Linux. I rather wanted to know if it is possible to run the game on a Linux OS. And wow, i am impressed what i have found out till now!

Installation Notes

What you need is Wine. And some workarounds to make it work. It won't run as good as on Windows, but it works with enough PC Power. I'm still testing other simple Win Games Installation over Wine, but will try it for MWO if i have more freetime.

Anyone else here has experience with MWO/Linux? :)

2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Ok, don't understand why this topic belongs better to the Bitches Playground. But ok, i start some Bitch Talks to suit it better:

PGI is sooo damn lazy to bring out a Linux Client for their Game! To hell with their Windows Affection!!! PGI stop sucking Microsoft Dicks! You could do it better, but you are soooo grrrr LAZY!!!!

*turning-bitch-mode-off*

:p

3. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

the main issue with Linux clients is Nvidia. They suck big time and won't provide any useable drivers. Using WINE is a no-go with 3d applications. The virtualization layer is like having the clutch brake engaged all the time and only direct I/O would work properly. Thanks Nvidia, worst company ever

4. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

idk if the situation is better nowadays but a linux client is still a LOT of work and most people just don't use Linux at home for gaming rigs. Also, Direct3D. Big issue. Proprietary crap. OpenGL would be the way to go but that means byebye CryEngine afaik.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. rifter

rifter New Member

Actually that is not strictly true. I mean yeah some people don't like how Nvidia handled its LInux drivers, but they do exist. I haven't tried playing this game on Linux yet, but I have played a lot of games like this on Linux. Once you have the drivers going, you can get wine to interface with them or whatever. Two things that will help you there a lot would be the WINE AppDB and winetricks. The wine people make a point of saying they don't support winetricks but it makes a lot of things soooo much easier. Winetricks will also install things like DirectX for you and some applications/libraries that are helpful. What I usually do is look at what people posted as necessary to install/set for a given game in their appdb posts, then use winetricks to do 99% of it. You can also copy files from a windows installation pretty often if you have one and choose to do so, but I have often considered that cheating and if you work at it it's generally unnecessary.

Another thing that will help is your choice of Linux distribution. You can potentially make things work on any distribution but some things are more work than others. And the guides you find on the internet will generally be specific to the distribution the writer is using. If you feel like it you can try and translate what they did to the distribution you have. Sometimes, though, it is just easier to use what they are using. That's why I ended up going from Slackware to Ubuntu. I didn't like many aspects of Ubuntu but it became the path of least resistance in my goal to just play my games and such.

In the end, I have often got the same or better performance in Linux compared to Windows on the same machine. Mileage varies but there it is. In the case of a distro like Ubuntu it has historically helped to switch interfaces to a more lean one and stop running some of the default stuff that eats resources. That's true with Windows, too, though.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast