1. Hi everyone!
    This is a kind reminder to rate the builds you play or read. The ETA for the new rating system is not yet here, but if everyone active could rate 1 build per day, we can have everything rated in only 1 month! Don't feel bad about giving bad ratings with some constructive criticism :)
    Thanks in advance -- the MechSpecs team.
  2. Welcome to MechSpecs!
    If you enjoy the site, please consider to register an account for free! Get access to our discord channel and the ability to rate/comment on builds you like! If you've already registered, make sure you log in at the top-right corner of the site.
    --Cheers, the MechSpecs Team.

Patch 1.4.167 - Blood Asp

Discussion in 'Feedback on Sales, Patches, Promotions, Events' started by Excalibaard, May 11, 2018.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard ComStar - First Circuit Staff Member

New patch incoming!

Link to news: https://www.mechspecs.com/posts/95051/

It's a big one, discuss here!

New Map: Solaris City
    Avoid stomping on Knight Rider in Synthwave Solaris. PGI is already expecting framerate issues, funfunfunfun!

Big clan ghost heat changes!
    You can fire less lasers before triggering ghost heat, meaning clan laser vomit alpha is effectively split and significantly reduced.
    Only 4 ERML/MPL, 3HML and 1HLL can be fired before ghost heat trigger.

Big nose? Small problem!
    Mechs with huge torsos (Jenner (IIC), Cicada, Jagermech, Stalker in this case) have had their BASE armor/structure re distributed to the big locations. This is the first time PGI plays with base armor values so that's nice. Check your mechlab before dropping though.

Other changes:
    Atlas (+)
    Fafnir (+)
    Mad Cat MkII (-)

RAC2 (+)

Reinforced Casing (Survivability) (+)
    Torso Speed (Mobility) (+)
    Anchor Turn (Mobility) (+)

Some visual/bolt-on updates.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Remover of Obstacles

Remover of Obstacles Benefactor

So much for small incremental balance changes...

Aylek, Excalibaard and IronEleven like this.
  3. IronEleven

IronEleven Active Member

[​IMG]

Edit: Oh god Russ actually posted it on his Twitter

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    CarloArmato likes this.
  4. CarloArmato

CarloArmato MechSpecs Addict

Sounds good: some mechs could be worth again, especially the jenner

Reinforced will be even more worth when fitting any gauss

This is interesting: we should test if a triple AC2 could outdamage a dual RAC5 before jamming.

This one is COMPLETELY b******t. I'm not a clanner, I prefer IS mechs, but this nerf is the final blow on clan mechs. Vomit laser was the last most powerfull meta of the clanners, now the clan assaults probably won't be able to alpha strike with any build due to ghost heat. Large Pulses and ERLL will come back, but the ERML and HLL ghost heat is absurd: huge alpha strike builds can be really annoying, but they can be dealt with by brawling or by pushing the enemy...

Also, most common laser vomit IS mechs get a wonderful +10% energy range, which means an ERML (360 m) will have a basic range nearly identical to the cERML (400 m), so the only advantage of clanners is raw damage, but they have worse heat and longer duration. With this nerf, clanners won't be able to even outdamage IS (30 vs 28 instead of 42!) despite longer duration (0.9 vs 1.2) and the heat (4.5 vs 6.3)

Also, this can be easily countered by setting the a macro that fire the other laser with a delay of 0.5 seconds... PGI simply needed to change laser duration and make them last longer and it would make a lot more sense... I think I should post this on the MWO forum.

This is a bad way to balance the game. RIP clanners.

Some armor distribution and nerf to Mad Cat YAW. I'm not sure the nerf to the mad cat will impact it too much, though.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. Shock

Shock Benefactor

Word is they're cancelling the laser nerfs for Tuesday

6. krevLL

krevLL Well-Known Member

Actually? I haven't found evidence of either way, asides from defensive posturing from PGI about sticking to their guns (or abandoning them, y'know).

Either way, if it happens it happens and clanners will move onto mediocre ballistics and ATMs until those get nerfed. Or maybe a MAD-IIC...

IT SO OP. *Incoming SHS nerf plz*

Really, though, if it happens, it'll suck for a bit. Then they'll backtrack or we'll get used to it. It'll force my clan mechs into... Using... Uh. Heatsinks and TCs... I guess? Clan omnimechs don't really have the option to not be running mostly lasers due to locked equipment if they want to be marginally competitive.

**EDIT**
    But if the patch goes through in it's initial form then I'll do what I can do change builds. Might just have to stagger firing lots of lasers now is all.

Anyone want the job of marking the 85% of clan builds that hit ghost heat and are invalidated by it now?

7. IronEleven

IronEleven Active Member

Russ said they were cancelled on Twitter

8. krevLL

krevLL Well-Known Member

Oh. Poor Sierra. Outright cancelled? Not even modified to be a reasonable nerf which is totally deserved?

9. Shock

Shock Benefactor

Postponed I would think. Maybe they're going to test it

10. Remover of Obstacles

Remover of Obstacles Benefactor

Russ Replying to @TimberWolf87 @TrueBandito
    "yes perhaps we keep them all after PTS"

Russ
    "At the least I feel these level of changes usually come with more fore warning, perhaps a PTS and a feedback loop."

Russ
    "So let’s call them tabled for now but we may open that process again so on some or all of these adjustments"

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I don't read that as anything is settled.

I kind of read that as - "What can we do to stop more cancellations of Blood Asp before Tuesday? Hopefully people will forget that Hellfire has 6/7 energy hard points and only 2 missile hard points."

Shock and Aylek like this.
  11. krevLL

krevLL Well-Known Member

I swear to God they're ignoring the simplest solution of tying HLL ghost heat to medium lasers with no more than 2 HLLs so you can't actually run them with a bunch of mediums. It still hurts as a laservomit nerf but it respects the fact that cERMLs are pretty damn balanced the way they are. Maybe they could be knocked down to 6 damage 5 heat or something but still.

12. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv Junior Member

My thoughts on the heavy laser issue are a little different. I think they should remain as they are but the weird IS PPCs need buffing so they are as appealing an option. I rock so many more heavy lasers than I do snub/light/heavy ppcs. The other day I was trying to chuck together a snub nosed PPC machine but the simple fact was that for the 1 ton more a pulse large weighed it outclassed the snubby in EVERY WAY. It was a no-brainer. In fact I currently only use one of the IS weird PPCs and that's a pair of light PPCs on a Cataphract as a cheeky poke. People think they'e ER and you get cheap area denial. Talk about damned by faint praise.