Which Orion(s) Should I get?

Thread in 'Orion' started by enileph, Sep 14, 2013.

1. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Thinking of getting Orion, either a single one of three.
    Othere than the CT problem how do you guys think about the variants?

My take without buying them.
    All variants have the same engine and ability it seems, difference are the hardpoints.

ON1-K
    4e1b2m. For some reason makes me think this may be a decent energ weapon variant, but the tonnage may not be enough to support both the missiles and the ballistic. Guess you have to choose one.

ON1-M
    3e1b3m. Not sure what to do with this one. You can make a zombie I guess, but... Zombie would be a joke given that giant CT.

ON1-V
    2e2b3m. Oh unless you go for the hero the only one with 2 ballistics slot. You may need that if you want to go with things like 2x AC5. the missile hardpoints are nice also. Maybe I should get this one?

ON1-VA
    2e1b4m. LRM boat or SRM boat? Seems nice as this is the goto variant for missiles.

PROTECTOR
    3e2b2m. does not seem to be impressive for a hero. Even the max engine is the same as the other variants.

Any ideas from those running Orion now?

2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

My Preview:

ON1-K (1x Ballistic RT, 2x Missile LT, 2x Energy LA, 2x Energy RA) - Probably the best after the Protector! You can load strong Laserweapons for Long-Mid Range attacks, and even losing Arms, you still have your Torso.Weapons to go for the Kills! Definitely my first buy.

ON1-M (1x Ballistic RT, 1x Missile LT, 1x Missile CT (!), 1x Missile LA, 1x Energy LA, 2x Energy RA) - The only one, which theoretically can go ZOMBIE! :rofl: Besides you get a very common XL300 Engine which can be used in other Mechs. Not the best, but good!

ON1-V (2x Ballistic RT, 1x Missile LT, 2x Missile LA+RA, 2x Energy LA+RA) - the only one beside the Protector with two ballistic slots, but only two Energyslots? WTF! Can be loaded as strong LRM.Boat or a mixed Allrounder with dual (U)ACs! Thats decent. It will find a new home at my Mechbay.

ON1-VA (1x Ballistic RT, 4x Missile LA+RA, 2x Energy LA+RA) - wow, very strong LRM.Boat, but if you lose Arms, you lose lots of your Firepower, only left with your Ballistic Weapon. Thats pretty bad!

ON1-PT (2x Ballistic RT, 2x Missile LT, 1x Energy LT, 2x Energy LA+RA) - Kerensky*s Baby, and i know now why

So from the Weaponhardpoints, IMO the Protector is the best, because most Weapons are located at the (safe) Sidetorsos. Thats damn good!

[​IMG]

3. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

the K is the most beast of them all. Dont be afraid to sacrifice missiles if you have to. You dont really want this guy that close anyways for SRMs and most LRM builds will ruin the power of his laser potential.

4. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I would love the VA, it makes an alpha of 78 with one of my builds, but the M is the WORST!!!

it's the command variant (I think?) but it does have a few good upgrades on the mech already.

5. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

My biggest issue with the Orion are it's borked hitboxes. I just can't imagine they are working as intended. This aside, the K might be the best of the Orions. 4 arm-mounted energy hardpoints are simply great. This will make both a nice fire support mech as well as a cruel brawler once the Orion's hitboxes got a rework. Think about LL + ML in both arms + LRM 20 and a harmless AC5... (Smurfy).

I dismissed the M quickly when glancing over the Variants, and it's very easy to do so. Do yourself a favor and think about again. I for myself came to like it quite a bit after closely inspecting again. It's loadout allows VERY flexible builds, but very dedicated builds as well.

First of all, the split of the large missile launchers between LT and LA can be used for massive Artemis-powered LRM launchers, while still allowing to mount an XL engine. Secondly, the CT missile launcher could be equiped with a SRM6 to be used in conjunction with a LBX in the RT, all the while using a 2LL RA, TAG LA and a LRM15. *klick* for Smurfy. LBX + SRM6 will do a very nasty punch to both circling lights or mechs which already lost their armor.

Both V and VA will do great as missile boats, but won't pack much secondary weapons after some big ALRMs are installed. The VA will also be interesting once brawling is viable in an Orion for the possibility of packing a lot of SRMs for shotgun like effects in it's arms.

The Protector is nice as well. Like all Orions it can be build for high flexibility or special roles. I for one am currently running Gauss + 2xLL + 2x SRM6.

So with already owning the Protector, I am looking forward to getting the K and the M. I don't need another missile boat as I already do have both a CPLT-C1 and an AWS-8R. The VA is still tempting, though, but it's viability as a brawler depends on the Orion's hitboxes.

6. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Already got the K, and is impressed.

Now for the Protector, well that build can apply to many other models as well. Typically many Protector builds can be done on the V type.

Currently I am actually thinking about choosing between Protector or the V type actually. Protector got an extra energy hardpoint on the LT, to go along with the two missiles. V type does not have the RT energy hardpoint, but have a total of three missile hardpoints spread all over the body. Tough choice really.

7. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

For all people still wondering if the Orions are worthwhile getting - my advice ist not to do it. Get Cataphracts or Victors instead, and let your thoughts return to Orions when there's some kind of fixture for the CT hitbox.

8. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

If you want a pure LRM boat the VA is the way to go. It can carry a REASONABLE LRM60 not some bodge job that makes use of 6 tube missile slots for LRM20s. My build uses 4 LRM15+A, BAP and still has room left over for a metric asston of ammunition and a couple medium lasers. It is a true LRM boat.

The K in my opinion is the Atlas of the heavy line (at least where firepower is concerned) and can carry firepower many assaults wish they could handle. I threw this together in about 30 seconds. Didn't check to see if I stole someones build but its just that intuitive on this mech that pretty much whatever you can throw at it you can make stick.
    While the Orion seems to withstand damage better now its still more fragile than you would believe based on its armor values and normally i do NOT recommend taking armor from the head because apart from the crazy CT the head is the next hit.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=99&l=2f07f0ef613cd07ddd56968e85dbb718bde775c5

9. Arzargul

Arzargul New Member

And know Aylek how are the orions ? Are they good ? Are they worth the purchase ?

10. SirBurntChicken

SirBurntChicken Well-Known Member

To answer your question long after it was asked :/, yes, they are worth getting. I can't remember when they fixed the hit boxes, but they are now good with standard engines. I often lose a side torso and have zombied the one I still own, the M, a decent amount. The quirks give them good power.

If you're thinking about Orion's I'd try out the M. That LB10X is incredible. Basically 10 heat neutral dps. Slap on some SRM's, a few ml's or mpl's, and a std engine and you have yourself a decent brawler.

11. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Even with the quirkk the LBX is not 10 dps. That said, LBX+SRM does seem to give a great sustained DPS of over 10 dps if needed. Still impressive I have to say. As said, slap in a couple LL/ML and it would be great.

12. Black Pearl

Black Pearl New Member

I have the V, K, P, and M. What can I say, the Orion is an animal, in any of its variants.
    Currently the run with STD 300, in a maximum of 70km/h in Master and I can tell you that the K and V are excellent Brawlers.
    The ON1-K whit LBX10, 2X 6SSRM And 4XMLS, hits you in the chest and leaves you breathing, speed gives you an advantage to harass your enemies without mercy

The ON1-V ... 1AC10 2x 4SSRM in the arms and 1x6SSRM is a Doom, either supporting or brawler or whatever, the Orion and its variant met for whatever.

The ON1-Protector, is not much more then a normal Mech, now what I have to 1AC5 1AC2, 2LLAR and 1X6SSMR.
    I am currently testing the ON1-M and then follow by the ON1-VA.
    The ON1-M I doubt whether the missiles in the CT increase the risk to explode more fastest the engine. Still the LBX10 with LBX10 bonus + one module LBX10 Cooldown ... Mother of God. + 3 MPLS?, 2x4SSMR in the arms and 1x 6 or 4 SSMR in the RT ?. such walks and announces twisted and burned metal.

Anyway beyond that as Builds, there is one thing I can tell you with knowledge.
    The Orion is a Rock, a Tank, if you know that pilot it and absorb side impacts mech ... have absorbed one minute per clock impacts of 5 mechs and go from there only without an arm.
    I've fought two heavys and out of there with 2 kills and whole .. damaged but whole. Even if I'm in the mood you I can deal with an Atlas. Everyone speaks ill of Orion means, say it is a mediocre Mech, I need to start from scratch in my mechbay with Orion K. after I bought the ON1-V, I followed the ON1-Protector, the ON1-M and finally get the VA. Mech really is a worthwhile test all variants and get your potential.
    I hope to serve my contribution. Greetings and sorry for my poor traduction, English is not my native Lenguage

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Kvarium and The Verge like this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast